Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "The Tower" (Spoilers)

Author Topic: SGA "The Tower" (Spoilers)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A simple episode with not too much plot, but more important for the overriding plot points that they establish with it.

-I take a moment to laugh at you all who won't be able to see these episodes until January. Haw. Haw.

-The agrarian village was originally seen as the Sodan village, including the upper house that was Candyman's roost. Suitably disguised, of course.

-The titular tower is in fact the tip of an iceberg that looks an awful lot like Atlantis, inside and out. The gatrium is re-used here as the central chamber for the Tower population, sans gate, but with a variety of upper class medeival accoutrements. An operational Chair platform takes the place of the gate, and the dude in charge can control drones and call up a HUD display like the one in the jumpers. Everything else is pretty much the same, with this place being a sister city to Atlantis. Terok Nor, anyone?

-It's Peter Woodward! Fracking GALEN from Crusade!

-It's Jay Brazeau! Fracking HARLAN the comtriah android dude from SG-1! Okay, this isn't as interesting as the first guy, but still...

-The Protector guys take their weapons after scanning them with a Lantean PDA. However, they leave Shep's radio, allowing relevant plot points to be made.

-"I never see this coming..." -- a hapless and staring Sheppard, when the babe of the week throws her naked body at him. [Smile]

-So Galen, coniving bastard he always has been, has been manipulating the bloodlines to maintain the Lantean gene necessary to make the Chair work. It's been diminishing though, which is why Galen has taken interest in Shep's gene pool.

-So we introduce the reliable gene therapy. Problem solved! Though it's a little odd that Galen's PDA didn't detect it in McKay... In any case, Shep soon starts negotiating a deal: the gene therapy (and subsequent elimination of the class split that's evolved as a result of the bloodline thing) in exchange for some fo the drones to replenish Atlantis' depleted supply.

-The Tower comes with its own batch of jumpers! Though it, and pretty much everything else but the chair are no longer functional.

-New sets include drone storage and auxilliary control in the twin city, which will doubtless be seen on "our" Atlantis someday. Lots of these sets were made from the new pieces of Ancient architecture introduced in "Trinity" and "Aurora".

-This is the second time they've mentioned the fact that Atlantis has a stardrive (and so does this city). 500 quatloos says they're going somewhere with this. And the city. Before too long. [Wink]

-Blah blah deception, blah blah revolution, blah blah Galen is EXACTLY what you think. Oh well, the results of the episode kick ass. They get a batch of drones, a few extra jumpers, and Shep gets mostly laid again.

-Most importantly, we establish that Atlantis is NOT a unique construct. The Tower could be one of multiple relics in Pegasus, that are essentially identical to the original. And for all we know, Atlantis may not even BE the original... I've wondered if the Ancients could really build a relatively fragile city-sized spaceship that could last millions of years unchanged - what if Atlantis is the last of a series of city-ships based on the original design? It would make the city itself a little more believeable, not to mention repairable as time passes and battles are fought. It will be pretty cool finding out.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps