Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lost: "The 23rd Psalm" $

Author Topic: Lost: "The 23rd Psalm" $
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Eko is a hardcore narco-warlord turned fake priest. And quick with a knife.

Not only do we see the monster, but we see inside it. Oh man! It is, uh. . . a nanotech cloud or something with flashy electromagnetic stuff going on inside? (Which people are saying you can freeze frame and see images from Eko's past, as played out in the flashbacks.) But what about the ratcheting noise, hmm?

I was sure that we'd see the plane get yanked out of the air by a black cloud, by way of explanation, or, well, sort of an explanation, as to how it (the plane) got to the island and why Eko seemed to recognize it. But no.

One thing I find very interesting is how Eko and Locke fill a similar role on the island (mysterious badass), but their histories are so different, with Eko actually having been a mysterious (and murderous) badass while Locke was selling toys and boxes.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

while Locke was selling toys and boxes.

True. But what was that phone call Locke was having in his very first flashback scene? Someone called him a Colonel or something? Or did I misunderstand something?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was Locke's pal, reminding him of their upcoming game of (I believe) Axis & Allies in the break room.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eko must be one bad muther (shut yo' mouth!) to be able to stare down Lostzilla. I suppose that "note" on one of the websites saying that it might be a kind of giant ground sloth has been proven a red herring now.

I wouldn't call him a hardened narco warlord. Despite how it looks, he does seem to be doing what he thinks is right. It's just that he has to work within the warlord system, which seems to be the only system available to him.

As for the plane, how did it get there all the way from Nigeria? It could certainly make it there by island hopping, but considering its cargo of drugs and a dead priest, I doubt he landed anywhere along the way. And you have to wonder what prompted the enforcer guy to bail out. He had fuel left, which Eko used to burn the plane and his brother, so it wasn't that.

B.J.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another "coincidence", with the drug plane being Eko's. There has to be some kind of intelligence behind all of this.

And does anybody else feel that Michael's just hallucinating the text on the computer screen? The screen was blank when Jack looked at it, but I can't tell if that was because there was really nothing there, or if the screen somehow went blank before Jack looked at it.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Did what he thought was right? How do you get that?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "hardcore narco-warlord" is a bit much. He did mention that drugs weren't his usual business.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Fair enough, though that's a fine distinction that tends to be lost on, say, the CIA agents remotely piloting the Predators that are about to kill you. (If you are a hardcore warlord with a sideline in the narcotics business, and who isn't?)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Did anybody else hear the two men Eko killed mention Sayid's name? Or that's what I thought it sounded like.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He had fuel left, which Eko used to burn the plane and his brother, so it wasn't that.
Wasn't that hydraulic fluid? Does that burn?
Anyway, Flight 815 didn't crash due to fuel depletion, did it?

I vastly prefer Eko to Adebisi. Does anyone know if Adebisi's death on Oz was close to the initial filming of second season LOST? Or were there years between?

I don't want to digress but I loved (in that Simpsons ep) when Homer turns prison-snitch and is issued a little hat like Adebisi's.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was pretty clear that Eko ended up in a violent life and became pretty successful at it, but always had regrets. Upon his brother's death the regrets overwhelmed the survival instinct.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

According to the IMDb, Mr. Akinnuoye-Agbaje hasn't been on Oz in six years.

Further looking reveals a claim that he left the show to do The Mummy Returns.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Oz even still going!?! I thought it finished a while back.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps