Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x13 - Epiphanies $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: BSG 2x13 - Epiphanies $$$
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Completely random observation*: Did anyone else notice that when Cat and Starbuck were headed back to the Galactica, it looked like they were going into the *front* end of the port bay?

B.J.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I noticed that. It makes sense that they'd go for the closest entrance in an emergency situation. It's just that it's supposed to be easier for most landings to approach from the rear, 'cause the pilots can take it easy rather than go for a hard landing.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus if you always go in for the rear approach, she may start feeling you don't respect her anymore.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it's just occurred to me, they're pretty vague when it comes to showing how fighters are launched. You see the fighters emerging, but the camerawork is full of that faux-reality hand-held nonsense that it's impossible to tell where they actually come from.

Not that the original series was any better, you could see down the whole length of the landing bay - yet where were the launch tubes?!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they're supposed to be under the landing strip, don't quote me on it though.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Original BSG the landing area was between where the fithers sat and the launch tubes.

I had a Battlestar Galactica board game that had little detailed pictures of the landing bay.

I can Google and find pictues of the boardgame, but the image is too small to show the inside of the bay.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall both shows indicating that the launch tubes propelled vipers out the sides of the pods, perpendicularly from the direction of travel and perhaps even at a jaunty angle with respect to vertical. I just assume that there are launch tubes immediately adjacent to the engineering bays just beneath the main landing bays in either pod. (But what have we learned about assumption?)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do recall a couple of effects shots that showed relatively clearly that the Vipers launch from the sides of the pods, underneath the landing bay area. I'll see if I can get a quick movie clip posted in slow-mo to illustrate...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I'd imagine Vipers could launch from the flight deck, we see them emerge from the launch tubes under the deck. Generally, the fighters apply thrusters and bank hard to wherever the threat is.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh hey, if you can do that, then you could get a caputre of the shot I'm thinking of. Really, any image that shows a pilot's eye view of the landing on Galactica. I'm thinking the end of the first episode where Apollo and Starbuck peel off and land in either bay.

Yes, it's definitely been made clear the vipers do launch out of the sides of the pods, perpendicular to the direction of travel of the Galactica.

Although it took a long time before that point was clear to me. What can I say, at 7 years old (in 1978) I couln't figure out where they launched from, I just knew it wasn't from out of the "front" or "back" of the pods.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that, even back in 1979, I just assumed that since everything lands at the back, they all came out the front. But now I think about it, we never did see Vipers launch out the front did we?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

Actually, we did. I just never noticed it at the time.

My wife bought me the original series on DVD for our first anniversary. I watched the series with my step-son and, sure enough, there are shots of the vipers launching from the bays with a camera angle shooting "down" toward the landing pod and vipers flying out.

Although I think the new series does a much better job of showing them launching out of the side pods.

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prophecy says she's gonna die.

It doesn't say she's gonna die of cancer...

DUM DUM DUUUUM

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it just says they the "Leader" would have a wasting disease and that she would not set foot on the "promise land". Thats the thing with prophecies, the context is everything.
Just look at Babylon 5, they dropped hints to most of the major plot threads within the first few episodes. Which may seam blatant in hindsight, but without the context, you really have no idea where the story will go.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Yes, it's definitely been made clear the vipers do launch out of the sides of the pods, perpendicular to the direction of travel of the Galactica.

Having just bought the miniseries+season 1 from Amazon, I can second this. The first time the Mark II Vipers are launched it's very obvious they come out of the side.

On another note, for those that have the DVD, take a close look at the picture the engineering crew give Adama of his early years. I swear Adama is the Fonz incarnate.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps