Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » AI: More than a myth?

Author Topic: AI: More than a myth?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting little news story I found.

Steven Spielberg is expected to direct AI, a sci-fi film that he had been discussing with Stanley Kubrick before Kubrick's death in March, the London Sunday Times reported. According to the newspaper, Kubrick's family and Warner Bros. are anxious for Spielberg to take on the project. It quoted Spielberg as confirming that he had read "the very long treatment" and had seen the storyboards for the movie, which deals with artificial intelligence. "Stanley said, 'Why don't I produce it and you direct it?'" Spielberg told the Sunday Times. The newspaper also reported that Kubrick had done tests with robots, had shot some footage with a child actor, and had put together a budget for the film of more than $100 million.

------------------
"Recombination, then Viacom; Safeway."
--
Soul Coughing

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people are probably saying "Huh?" right about now. For a long time Kubrick had wanted to do another SF film, and had grown to be fascinated by the idea of Artificial Intelligence (AI). Accordingly he contacted british SF author Brian Aldiss and suggested a collaboration along the lines of that with Arthur C Clarke which had led to "2001: A Space Odyssey." As with that author's "The Sentinel," Kubrick had been very impressed by Aldiss' short story "Supertoys Last All Summer" and hoped to adapt it for the screen.

So they started work. It soon became clear to Aldiss that Kubrick really didn't have a clue about what he wanted to do, and didn't want to listen to any of his ideas. Instead he was mainly trying to stimulate his own ideas. Aldiss eventually tired of this and asked for a holiday - and got fired. They patched it up later and started again, only for the same thing to happen. Kubrick then moved on to Ian Watson for further collaboration. And then moved on again.

So if there is a finished script, I'll be very surprised. But it'd be interesting to see a Spielberg film of a Kubrick script. And it's got children in it, which are the only Spielberg films that do well (unless they're not American children).

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps