Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$$ BSG 216 - "Sacrifice" $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$ BSG 216 - "Sacrifice" $$$
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But ...cowpoo is teh fun.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say... I was dissapointed with this episode. Maybe because roughly from the middle it started being an artificial situation. Well at least to me. [Smile]

It's like that: first the show us Starbuck going all John Woo on the terrorists, then blam! They instantly punish her for doing such stupid thing. My point is, if they knew that wielding two guns at the same time is not a smart thing... why doesn't Starbuck know that?

I mean, I have to assume that she's at least semi-compenent in that stuff - otherwise she wouldn't be in command of that situation. And, if Gun-fu doesn't exist in BSG universe, then Starbuck should've been aware of that.

And, yeah, Billy's dead was sensless, especially considering that Dee had the chance to do exactly what he tried to do earlier, only facing better circumstances (just after Lee is wounded)

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was all wrong. The Billy-Dee-William's son (nice one Scott) story would, traditionally, have played out like this:-

1. Billy proposes, Dee accepts.
2. She meets with Apollo to let him down gently.
3. Billy sees them and gets wrong end of stick.
4. Situation gets worse when Apollo is shot and Dee is even more upset.
5. However, Billy standing up to the crooks reminds Dee of why she prefers Billy to Apollo.
6. Billy killed, Dee heartbroken.

Clich�? Maybe. But I didn't see Billy's death coming, didn't register any foreshadowing at all. And I'm usually really good at it. "This is my last mission, then my tour is over." Dead! "Here's a picture of my fianc�e, we're going to get married after the war." Dead! (all hail Steve Punt & Hugh Dennis)

They've known about the possibility of the Billy-actor's leaving for a while now, they could have just continued developing the relationship between him and Dee until his sad death. Instead they've hurriedly shoehorned this bizarre attraction between her and Apollo into the mix, to the frankly strange point where one week Apollo's telling her she's not interested and she's promptly back canoodling with Billy, to the next where she's brutally turning down his inept proposal and is off swanning around on Cloud 9 with Apollo! It makes less sense than the Chewbacca Defense!

Then you have the further Starbuckian weirdness. Told to do a recce, she immediately hides not one but TWO guns in about the most obvious place possible and tries to do a John Woo.

Overall I'm with Kazey, no way did this ep represent any return to form.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
2. She meets with Apollo to let him down gently.
3. Billy sees them and gets wrong end of stick.

I have to say, that is perhaps my least favorite engine for drama, and I am very glad it wasn't used here.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but it seemed like they were going to a maybe different place with Lee apologizing and homing in on Ellen. But then, out of the blue, plot.

I didn't particularly like this episode. Dana Delany was great, but the whole terrorist/counter-terrorist action didn't seem very well thought out. Like why wouldn't Dana Delany go after a politician of some sort, or a specific character rather than just random hostages even if it is a high-profile bar. Plus I want to believe the 'death of my mate' vengeance/deperation-kick is too hackneyed for this series. But then the line "I have nothing left to live for" was actually spoken in a previous ep.

Lee coming out and wanting to talk was just silly as well. Why would he forfeit the advantage and not just wait in there and let her send another, or at the very least threaten to kill a hostage if he didn't come out. Was it to support his (cool) McGyver dry ice trick?

Starbuck going in with both guns blazing wasn't at all justified in my opinion, and given that she did, I had a hard time believing that her and the Marine would pull out at the point they did. And so once there, surely the guy with the Skorpion would be a priority target even while in retreat. As in he'd need to be neutralized before they tried to get back out. At first, I was kind of excited, because I thought maybe they were wrapping up the whole hostage subplot early. Like, yeah, Starbuck did something stupid and reckless, but she did stop the bad guys and now we can get on with something more interesting. My mind reeled at the possibilities: Billy and Ellen Tigh? Apollo confounding Starbuck some more? Gina(6)'s ironic involvement in the forfeit the Cylon plot? It was not to be.

And as has been previously said, I thought these capricious emotional attachments/detatchments don't seem to be coming from anything within the characters. Adama and Boomer was good, but Roslin before and mourning Billy was the only bond that I really bought lock & stock this ep, and then I was doubly sad because I really liked Billy's character and thought he and Dee had genuine potential.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least we know one thing now. Dee's the Cylon. Although I was half-expecting your usual "Cylon-Billy appears consulting with Six and some other Cylons on Caprica" coda, before I remembered that the lack of a Resurrection Ship to upload to kinda nixes that.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't that be "Caprican" emotional attachments...?

And, Lee. Wha...? I just watched it again tonight, and I didn't see anything more to hint Dee was a Cylon than was out there before... Human females can be manipulative wenches without being Cylon sleeper agents, you know (apologies to the Lady Flarites -- I've been burned a few times in the past).

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering the same as Peregrinus. How do we know Dee's a Cylon?

I was not expecting Apollo to come out and talk. Once he got inside the workings and messed with the o2 sensor, I was expecting a "Die Hard" type episode where Apollo harasses the terrorists and eliminates them one by one.

Plenty of terrorists hit soft targets that have nothing to do with the military such as night clubs, Trade Centers, etc... Perhaps, depending on the size of their terror group, the arms they had and the access to targets, they chose the best target they could.

Lee
Member # 393

Well, there's been lots of speculation that one of the minor characters is a Cylon. Key among those were Gaeta (barely seen of late), Billy (now dead) and Dualla. Who seems inordinately obsessed with making sure that someone is in love with her.

Unless the Cylon turns out to be Lt. "I'll just let my copilot go for a walk on a Cylon Basestar, come back without her helmet, and not mention it to anyone" Racetrack, of course.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized something. Cloud 9 has a big-ass maintenance tunnel that's accessible only through the restroom of the ship's bar? After all, if the tunnel let out somewhere else, you'd think Lee would get out, find help (Starbuck and the marines), and bring them back in secretly through the tunnel.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the waste extraction jeffries tube.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unless the Cylon turns out to be Lt. "I'll just let my copilot go for a walk on a Cylon Basestar, come back without her helmet, and not mention it to anyone" Racetrack, of course.
Sure. Except she did. (And of course, for all Racetrack knew, the atmosphere was Earth-norm. Unless they mentioned it wasn't. Did they?)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Good point. Had forgotten that little tidbit of Navy-ism. And you didn't need to call on the cow-poo. That's what the Flameboard is for. [Wink]

--Jonah

OH...Bovine Excrement.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps