Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 2x17 - "Captain's Hand" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 2x17 - "Captain's Hand"
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quick glance would seem to indicate that Fisk had Commander's pins.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think we'd have trust Baltar's assessment (assuming he wasn't bullshiting Laura to drive her to a decision opposite to the stance he intended to make.)
Since Roslin made the issue of abortion a "survival" issue, Baltar took issue with it on the altar of freedom.

However, if Roslin had made her decision on abortion on grounds of freedom, Baltar would have taken issue with it on the grounds of survival of the species.

Baltar didn't care which choice she made -- abortion is most likely just a devisive an issue in the Fleet as it is here on Earth. Roslin might lose or gain support by taking one stand over the other, and Baltar could expect only to gain support (because since he'd just started running, he would've have had much support to begin with).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the commanders of Pegasus have been :

1. a homicidal megalomaniac,
2. a criminal,
3. incompetent with a persecution complex, and
4. promoted through two ranks and right over a third in the span of a month.

And, given the trend, Lee will be dead within a few weeks.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As John Heard made his way to the engineering deck, I was thinking "Well, I hope the show lets him at least be a competant engineer" and then when he was, I was thinking "Oh, come on, now he gets to die a hero?" So apparently I'm impossible to please. But, seeing as how he wasn't killed by the mafia for illicit dealings and as far as we know never authorized any prisoner abuse, we ought to cut him some slack.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought it was cool to see the Vipers using Pegasus' lower *upside down* landing deck. [Big Grin]

B.J.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Pegasus was upside-down herself at the time, B.J. Remember Commander Lee ordering the ship rolled to protect the already-damaged top from further impacts?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we clearly see Vipers landing on both sides, is the point.

Does that work, though, I wonder? I mean, all the hanger stuff has to be in the space inbetween. Is there enough space there for it all to fit?

And this has nothing to do with this episode, but how awesome would it be for Marc Alaimo to guest star? IMDB reports he hasn't been in anything since DS9's series finale.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as I saw that John Heard was the new Commander, I thought "Dead!"

And, while on the subject, "The Captain's Hand?" Whose hand? The 'Captain' of the Pegasus, actually a Commander? Is it because in his hands, the ship was nearly destroyed, but it was his hands that saved her in the end? Or is it a reference to Starbuck, who is an actual Captain? What's wrong with her hands?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
But we clearly see Vipers landing on both sides, is the point.

Does that work, though, I wonder? I mean, all the hanger stuff has to be in the space inbetween. Is there enough space there for it all to fit?

And this has nothing to do with this episode, but how awesome would it be for Marc Alaimo to guest star? IMDB reports he hasn't been in anything since DS9's series finale.

I imaging there would be some kind of rigging to rotate the vipers after they go up the lifts into the maintanance deck...hmm, hard to know what sort of gravitational forces are at work here. We know from the pilot that the landing deck does have gravity, I wonder if it's possible for that inverted deck to have the field inverted or have it as a nul field with magnets on the vipers' skids so they don't float away. Either way it's tricky.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. We haven't seen that degree of gravity control so far on the show... All internal decks, including the landing bay, hangar deck, and launch facilities, seem to be pulling down only. Haven't seen any null-grav areas. If the launch tubes take their cue from TOS, they are gravitised, too...

I imagine the closest we get to multi-vector gravity would be the ill-fated agro ship from the miniseries. Each of the domes seemed to have its own "down", and the command and engineering sections probably did, too, but the central spine was probably null...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screencaps of the battle, anyone? I ould like to see Pegasus' forward BFGs...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
Member # 393

Not brilliant, but. . .

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, okay. So they're apparently hidden behind door seen closed here:

http://www.uemedia.net/artman/uploads/pegasus01.jpg

I thought for a second that they'd be the "main battery" turrets seen above the doors, the same kind that Galactica has. Galactica herself may yet have larger cannons like these, if they haven't been removed. Or alternatively, they simply don't have the means to manufacture such munitions to use them...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW - 49,584 Survivors at the head of the episode.

So, but there was suddenly a space battle with the desperate humans engaging the vicious, freedom-hating Cylons. And me likey. No, but I'm excited because that meant a little less humanity fucking itself over, and frankly I get my fill of that on the news channels.

I knew it was going to happen, that Lee was somehow going to wind up commanding Pegasus, but I was glad to see that it was because the ex-engineer Commander couldn't give up his old job. That sort of jibes with my own experiences with highly technical people. It was cool to see an engineer actually doing some engineering even if all he was doing was cranking (with a spanner!) some coolant valves until some lights turned green. I wasn't clear on why exactly no one else had thought to do the same, but I'll give them the benfit of the doubt. The heroic death thing was sort of ridiculous as it seems he could maybe tell Goggles at the door to open it up for a minute so he could catch his breath and then close it, and maybe "Have some medics on hand because I'm gonna run out of O2 and pass out, but I'll probably be alive for like 4-15 minutes if the resuscitator is even half awake." No, but with the heroic death, OK.

The Roslin and Baltar politics game is cool. The Zarek stuff was also cool. I loved the timing of Baltar's announcement. They sold that completely as far as I'm concerned. I just wish they'd picked a less hot-button issue maybe. And yeah, as Simon already mentioned, I'd suspect that statistically we're not talking about a major population factor. That said, the very real catering to (possibly manipulation of?) the religious Geminonian (oh, like you know) demographic was certainly appealing. Mary McDonnell continues to take things up a notch with her reluctant announcement of her new policy and esp. her "You got your pound of flesh" speech.

Lee and Dualla: yawnstretch. Starbuck still fucking up ship operations by being an insolent asshole (despite her briefly, shallowly introspective journey in episode Scar): so yawning. Inexperienced commanders brashly disobeying a direct order from a superior as well as the advice from his second in command to even send a single scout thereby jeopardizing critical and irreplacable pieces of military hardware, placing his entire crew as well as the future of humanity at risk? Oh, c'mon, it's not like he came up in McHale's Navy. Also, dude, it's SUCH a trap... Lee getting promoted to full commander? Er...

Which is to say that I liked it and I was glad to see at least a little Cylon ass-kickage. It may seem to be formula, but it's a formula that hungry, angry babies like me can happily digest.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

On the other hand, say they sent in the force of Raptors Adama planned. Do the Cylons still jump in with three baseships? Because I think a case could be made for going in with as much force as possible and the most survivable ship specifically because it might be a trap.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps