Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lost : "Maternity Leave" (with exactly as many spoilers as you can shake a stick at)

Author Topic: Lost : "Maternity Leave" (with exactly as many spoilers as you can shake a stick at)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's just get the major point out of the way right off the bat : the Others are the Dharma Initiative!

Anyone know what the deal was with Eko's beard? Some sort of "I won't cut it until I've confessed my sins" kind of penance thing, or what?

Jack said last episode that Locke had gotten him "to press that button once". Yet, in this episode, he was taking a regular shift in the Hatch. Now, granted, they were trying to keep other people out so they wouldn't find Henry Gale. But, last time, Locke wanted to keep Henry, and Jack wanted to let him go. Now it's the other way around. The hell?

At least, from that last scene, we can be pretty sure that Henry is an Other/Dharma Initiate.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see where Locke wants to let him go necessarily. He just wants to know what they're going to do with him, since keeping him in the hatch indefinitely will cause problems. (Assuming that his balloon isn't on a part of the island proscribed by their little pow wow with the Others, they should already be looking for it to confirm his story, I say pointedly while watching the "coming up on Lost" stuff. There's always the possibility that a balloon crashed and Gale just put it into his story for verisimilitude, of course. But there might be documents or photos or something.)

Also, how do you know the Others = DHARMA? It's possible I missed something near a commercial break, thanks to that Monty Python special they've been running on PBS, but the Others would not be the first people this season to be living in a well-stocked bunker without knowing who built it or why. So who says they belong there any more than Desmond did? The real question is why they abandoned it.

Well, that, and why they're going to so much trouble to dress up as pirates around the castaways.

And who "he" is. Alvar Hanso, maybe? (If so, then they probably are DHARMA, or at least what remains of it.)

I'm a little confused about Claire's memories. I thought, in her first flashback, that Ethan had given her amnesia and was pretending that she was still in Australia and he was just a doctor. But in the next flashback she knows where she is and even, to a degree, why. So her amnesia was a result of post-traumatic stress plus a rifle butt to the head? I guess I buy that. Anyway she seemed to be acting weird in those sequences. Did anyone else get the feeling she was being drugged?

Ethan emphasizes the good people/bad people dynamic, I notice. "We're good people, Claire. A good family."

So was there any signage revealing what symbol this new bunker goes by? I noticed a sign over one door that read "escape" something or other. And were those fish in the flashcuts?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Also, how do you know the Others = DHARMA?"

Well, from the bit where Kate goes into the lockers in the bunker and finds the Others costumes.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which proves that they live there and are projecting a false image to outsiders, but how does it prove that they're the original inhabitants?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, out of the two choices :

1. the Dharma Initiative came, built bunkers, ran experiments, left, and someone else came along, found the bunkers, and started running experiments, or

2. the Dharma Inititive came, built bunkers, runs experiments, and pretends to be creepy jungle dwellers so their neighbors/subjects stay in line,

I think the latter is more probable.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dharma Initiative are the only ones I can only imagine that would be bringing fake beards and spirit gum to the island, and certainly would be the only ones who would put them to good use. I imagine other castaways or interlopers into the bunker complex(es) would put those items pretty low on the survival priority list. I'm not coming down either way on whether Dharma == Others, but it would seem likely that Dharma intented some duplicity, and Zeke looks quite handsome without his beard.

The door marked "ESCAPE" was, I think, marked "ESCAPE HATCH" which might have led to the blocked passageway to our Heroes' bunker. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like Claire and Co went in the wrong door to find the remains of the nursury. Like when Ethan is leading her down the hallway, they specifically go past the scary, unlit and dank stairway, and into the room. Which makes the basic layout "Y" shaped, with the bottom fork presumably leading out. Claire's baby's nursury would be to the left, and the operating theater and the place where the "vaccine" was stored" would be at the terminus of the right branch. Clearly there were other doors (i.e. the locker room with Pirate garb that Kate found) and probably a separate power room. But when they headed down, I remember they went up the right fork and the abandoned nursury was one of the first doors on the left. Anyway, the complex would certainly warrant further exploration/exploitation.

I'm not entirely sure that Henry Gale is an Other, but there does seem to be quite a bit more evidence than Sayid's intuition in this episode. More than just upsetting Locke and sowing dissent, it was his reaction to seeing Eko and being trapped in a room with him. Eko is an intimidating guy, granted, but Henry was looking mighty guilty there.

Are we EVER going to find out what "the infection" is? Would someone PLEASE just fucking ASK Rouseau? There were plenty of golden opportunities, and she could have given some off-the-cuff, kooky, non-sensical French (Yugoslavian?) answer, but no one seems to want to press the question.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps