Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BG (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BG
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:

you didn't see good believable villains (on TV at least) until TNG's later seasons and, of course, Babbleononononononon 5 [Big Grin]

What about good ol' Khan?

quote:

Though i'm sure our Jason would agree Jason of Star Command should get a second look [Roll Eyes]

Hmmm... I remember they showed one single episode of that series around here, and then never again...
machf
Member # 1233

quote:
Originally posted by bX:
It's a little bit sad. As is Dirk Benedict's post. I was secretly hoping he'd make a guest appearance, but it would seem that bridge is burnt. Faceman's makes some good points (re: overbleak + teh sexxors + the case for roguish swanks), and I didn't realize it'd been such a struggle for Starbuck to be such a 'chauvinist' rogue, but I don't know that making Starbuck a girl is really the afront to masculinity he makes it out to be. If you're going to take gender equality seriously and have really competent girls fighting side by side with dudes on the show, one of the original series principles was going to have to be cast differently.

Hmmm... too bad, I didn't know Benedict had later had such a reaction. Though I'll concede him a few points...

Gender equality? That's an oxymoron, if they were equal there wouldn't be any gender differences at all in the first place. The proper talk should be of gender balance instead. Heck, there aren't two people in the whole planet who are equal. I doubt people could be considered 'equal' other than in legal/juridic terms. Oh, well, let's not get sidetracked...

Personally, I don't think that turning Starbuck into a female version of the original is bad; instead, it would have been bad if they had kept him a man and made him a lousy incompetent coward with some woman having to come to his rescue every other episode...

I liked the original series back then when I saw it around 1980 - I was 11 or 12 years old then. I like the new series nowadays. I'd day it's a show for people who watched the original as children back then and have grown up since. Of course, those who are still expecting it to be a kiddies' show are going to be disappointed...

[ March 08, 2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: machf ]

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
They have?

Starbuck seemed more distraught over leaving Caprica the second time and leaving Anders behind than anything else.

On the other hand, she was pretty much "screw this" when she returned to Caprica and had time to stop by her old apartment (cue Barenaked Ladies...)

Apollo had his spacewalk episode where he didn't want to come back.

But outside of those two instances, we've not really seen anyone break down or lose it over their current situation. Roslin, Adama, everyone seems to have adjusted just fine to living inside a spaceship, breathing recycled air, having little to no privacy, constantly harassed by Cylons and not maybe never setting foot on a planet again in their lifetime.

Perhaps I've gone a bit too far, however. What was her name, Cat? She was sturng out on drugs. Geata had his moment in B'ers "confessional," Roslin struggled to save the sacred scrolls and cried on Kobol, there was a food riot on the Gideon and extremists blew up part of a ship/held hostages.

Maybe I'm wanting a bit too much.

quote:
As I understand it there is apparently this whole Mormon underpinning to the orginal series which (not really knowing much of anything about mormonism) I missed. But anyway that might explain some of the hinkiness
It only explains the "hinkiness" (I thought you said hickness) in the sense that Mormons promote strong family values and the original Battlestar was a wholesome family show.

The Mormon influence is this: The Hebrews (Moses decendants) were divided into 12 tribes. Their nation was devasted by the Babylonians in 607 BCE. According to Mormon belief, a 13 tribe survived the destruction, made their way across the Atlantic and settled in North America.

In addition Mormon belief also includes Kobol (well, spelled Kolob) and Iblis.

For a list of BSG and Mormon connections see:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/billotto/Mormon_N_BSG.html

quote:
I'm not sure where any Mormon stuff might play in but I always wondered if the OBG's use of the Egyptian motif in some stuff was the seed idea that brought about Stargate.
The Egyption motif was inspired by Erich von DCniken and his book "Chariots of the Gods." Erich von D�nikenon D�niken theorized/proposed/religiously believed that the Egyptians and others were visited by "ancient astronauts" from another world. These aliens uplifted, so to speak, ancient man

For more on this, see: http://skepdic.com/vondanik.html

quote:
OBG-Baltar was the seed idea that brought about Cobra Commander, The Iron Fist guy (and the cat) from Inspecter Gaget, Megatron and Starscream (Once Transformers went formulatic), KATT & all the other formulaic loser Poser villains on TV. To even think otherwise..
What? The idea that a villian turns on his own kind (or master, or creator) comes from the original Baltar? What about the Biblical Judas Iscariot or the American Revolutionary Benedict Arnold? What about Dr. Who's the Master?

A cheesy show from 1979 being the inspiration for all the cheesy traitors that came after it? Oh, please..

Re: Buck Rogers (the 1980s version) and Knight Rider (KATT, the villian mentioned above). Both these shows were created by Glen Larson, creator of the original Battlestar Galactica. Of course there are similarities.

Jason of Star Command was a great Saturdy Morning series.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that nearly everyone on the show has freaked out or broken down at one time or another, and then the chief spoiler and spoiler. (Redacted for safety's sake, but you know what I mean.)

I like how Larson liked the Cylon eye so much he reused it.

Also, what's this nonsense I hear about Magnum P.I. being unsophisticated?

Pwesty
Member # 1035

- posted      Profile for Pwesty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Guys
I was just wondering how Larson fells about his show being used by Moore? I know that I have seen his name in the opening credits, but is he really doing anything with the show or are they just using his name
Thanks

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure "using" his name is the right context. He has some rights to the property, and thus gets a credit (and I would imagine a check).
machf
Member # 1233

quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Re: Buck Rogers (the 1980s version) and Knight Rider (KATT, the villian mentioned above).

I guessed that might be a reference to Knight Rider... but it was called KARR, the Knight Armored Roving Robot (or something like that). KATT had me wondering if it was from some series I never saw...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I REMEMBER THAT!!!

*hee*

Peter Cullen is my favourite voice actor, and he was the voice of KARR.

John Colicos intentionally played Baltar (and Kor) as old-fashioned, over-the-top, moustache-twirling villains. Some bad guys (Stalin, Hussein, McCarthy, Kruschev...) really are like that.

I liked the implication that the original Galactica took a long time to build and had been in service for centuries. I liked that kind of unquestioned dynastic feel to the upper echelons of command in the original BSG.

I rather like that we have the new Starbuck, but Sheba was just as kickass in the original series -- albeit not as fucked in the head. I'd like Starbuck to have remained male, and Jolly to have had some more time for us to grow attached to him (and the familiarity of the name) before he got whacked. I like what they did with Boomer, but I didn't like that they "demoted" her to a Raptor. Although, if they hadn't, the whole Helo thing might have been a little harder. I know the pilots are theoretically able to fly both, but I've never seen Helo, Boomer, Racetrack, or any other Raptor pilots in a Viper...

I also liked the Klingon- or Vulcan-ish use of single names in the original series. Yeah, they have family/house names, but those aren't needed for the show's purposes. Helped add to the exoticness.

And, of course, I'm still cruching on Rigel a lot more than Dualla. [Big Grin]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago, I was watching Sci-Fi's rerun of BG1980 (I know, but it was the only thing on). It was a Halloween episode, and a Cylon had just been picked up by some partygoers as a hitchhiker. I nearly fell over laughing when I realized that the driver was the voice of KITT, and he had this red Cylon eye going back and forth behind him.

B.J.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if they actually filmed her in the cockpit, but Boomer did indeed fly a Viper in the miniseries, for the flyby during the decommissioning ceremony. It was in the dialogue where the doomed CAG replaced the brig-bound Starbuck in the demonstration formation, and then introduced Apollo. ("Did they kiss your ass to your satisfaction, sir?")

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Re: Buck Rogers (the 1980s version) and Knight Rider (KATT, the villian mentioned above).

I guessed that might be a reference to Knight Rider... but it was called KARR, the Knight Armored Roving Robot (or something like that). KATT had me wondering if it was from some series I never saw...
It was KITT.... Knight Industries Two Thousand.... By your Lube.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

machf
Member # 1233

Are you implying that KITT was actually the cheesy villain on the show?

To the best of my knowledge, the cheesy villain (the "original version" - something a la Lore vs. Data) was called KARR.

machf
Member # 1233

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I'm not sure if they actually filmed her in the cockpit, but Boomer did indeed fly a Viper in the miniseries, for the flyby during the decommissioning ceremony. It was in the dialogue where the doomed CAG replaced the brig-bound Starbuck in the demonstration formation, and then introduced Apollo. ("Did they kiss your ass to your satisfaction, sir?")

Rrriight... we may not have seen her, but she did fly one, then. I guess Raptor pilots are qualified to fly Vipers, but someone has still to man those Raptors.
Remind me, was Flattop a Raptor or a Viper pilot (and what about all the others who died or were injured with him)? I'm under the impression that, until then, the more senior officers were flying Vipers, the junior ones being assigned to the Raptors.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KARR - Knight Automoated Roving Robot
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Several years ago, I was watching Sci-Fi's rerun of BG1980 (I know, but it was the only thing on). It was a Halloween episode, and a Cylon had just been picked up by some partygoers as a hitchhiker. I nearly fell over laughing when I realized that the driver was the voice of KITT, and he had this red Cylon eye going back and forth behind him.

B.J.

I saw that recently, I seem to remember the Cylon getting into a fight with a microwave at some point.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps