Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BG Flight pods (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BG Flight pods
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
And more to the point, how could their transponder still work afterwards?!

I think the guy who writes these things up at Battlestar Wiki hit upon a good idea with this one: their transponder might have appeared in an air pocket inside the mountain, leaving it intact and able to transmit.

Regarding the flight pod issue (and this is just idle speculation on my part) I always took it as a limitation of the Galactica's older systems, not colonial FTL tech as a whole. I figured that Galactica's older drive could only open a wormhole of a specific width, and to make the ship fit through it they had to reduce the forward profile hence the pods being swung inboard before a jump. After all Pegasus doesn't seem to retract it's pods (not sure if it could anyway - they look fixed, and are there recesses for them in the main hull?) and other fleet ships don't seem to retract anything: even the huge "Space park" wheel ship jumps "as is". I guess I always put the pod thing down to Galactica being the battlestar equivalent of an old, cranky, tired F reg Ford Fiesta.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the entire raptor displaced everything of it's size in the mountain.

In other words, the raptor crew didn't die instantly, but suffocated to death.

This could account for the transponder still being active. The entire ship was intact and fully functioning.

Of course, where does the mass go the ship displaced? I don't have an answer.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Or the entire raptor displaced everything of it's size in the mountain.

Not according to RDM in the podcast...again from Battlestar Wiki:

"RDM says in the podcast that the Raptor Jumping into the mountain wasn't like "swapping" spatial matter between two points: like a teleporter accident, the Raptor and its crew were horrifically merged into the rock itself.".

Suggests that it was more BrundleRaptor than mass displacement.

quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
This could account for the transponder still being active. The entire ship was intact and fully functioning.

Then again if the entire ship was still functioning they could jump again: even with no co-ordinates it's better to try a "blind jump" a la Cain and the Pegasus than suffocate inside a mountain. However, from what RDM says the ship was blended inside the mountain and the crew ended up looking like the Thing from Fantastic 4.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bit of a Larson connection, then - there was a guy who could walk through walls/rock in a Buck Rogers ep. Then, there's that guy from the Belgariad. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, guys, regarding the pods... last night TNT Latin America premiered Season 2 of the series, and I noticed in the scene after Gaeta has managed to calculate the coordinates to "undo" the jump and Tigh orders to recall the Vipers and jump, when the jump finishes, the Galactica is shown with the pods retracted and slowly extending them back...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps