Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA - Allies (Spoilers)

Author Topic: SGA - Allies (Spoilers)
Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I a little plexed at the conclusion to Atlantis..... It was stated in one of the first episodes that the Wraith hyperdrive technology was inferior, and because of this, it put great focus on holding Atlantis as this would be the Wraith's only gateway to Earth.

But in the end of Allies they seemed to forget this... they just up and set a course for Earth. What gives?

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they can go to sleep for a few decades or whatever. Doesn't seem to make much difference to them as long as they get to the drive thru for some McEarth.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They got the logs from the Aurora mission. Those logs contained information on how to modify a standard hyperdrive engine to achieve much greater speeds.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was so that the Aurora (which probably had faster-than-Wraith speeds) get to Atlantis in a jiffy. So, assuming the Wraith couldn't upgrade to Ancient spec and then upgrade again, the upgrades from the Aurora logs probably just bumped them up to Ancient level. Which is still faster than they previously had. But I have to wonder about this. The Ancients left Earth in Atlantis and went to the Pegasus galaxy. Surely they could go as fast as the Daedalus and Asgard ships regularly travel. Why wouldn't the Aurora also have the same speed?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I did not make that connection. The Wraith being less advanced compared to the Ancients, and their technology is based on biology more, I would think that the Aurora upgrades would be rather useless, especially since the Wraith that know how to maintain the fleet have allied with another hive.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Ancients left Earth in Atlantis and went to the Pegasus galaxy. Surely they could go as fast as the Daedalus and Asgard ships regularly travel. Why wouldn't the Aurora also have the same speed?
I believe they explained that there were multiple levels of Ancient hyperdrive. Aurura had the slower kind, and they were trying to modify it to be the faster. I vaguely recall there being some cost associated with this, like the ship being unflyable after that one trip home. You can't necessarily put your best technology everywhere, size and resources can be limiting factors even to the Ancients.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I finally finished watching THIS episode.

OMG! WOW!

Even though I had the ending spoiled in the other SG1 finale thread - It didn't lessen the impact!

WOW!

One would assume that it is only these two ships that possess the info from the Aurora Logs and the Location of Earth. Hermiad should be worried too.

I'm guessing that Michael will get some sort of guilty conscience and stop them reaching Earth.

FANTASTIC ending to a really, really good season!

The only thing I can complain about this season is that there was a lack of 'arc' - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Good episode.

Anyone else got opinions on it?

So if the new series starts in July - I really don't have that long to wait! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, I can't say I'd call Atlantis S2 "a really, really good season" myself. Sure, there were overall quite a few good individual stories, but they didn't add up to something more than the sum of their parts, like S1 did. Plus, there were a notable number of really awful episodes, especially "The Tower," "The Long Goodbye," "Condemned," and "Inferno."

I felt that I was watching a very coherent story in S1... the expedition arrived and then had to explore and uncover the secrets of the Pegasus Galaxy, then there was the excellent "ticking clock" feeling for the second half of the season, waiting for the Wraith to attack. By comparison, S2 seems like just a jumble of stories that the writers were putting together with no actual plan. Furthermore, the character of Ronan Dex was woefully overlooked and ignored; it seems like the writers just wanted a warm body to replace Ford and to have someone to provide the "muscle" for the team. What was the point in bringing him on, again?

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the next season develops; I've got no interest in NOT watching the show. I'm just not as impressed with S2 as I was with S1. Just IMHO, of course.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you totally! From early on in the season I felt there was no direction like there had been with season 1 or sg1 season 9. What was the AIM that season? Nothing much really - same as season 1 I GUESS - but some direction would be nice. They didn't really have a new 'big bad' to coin a Buffy phrase but they didn't need to - just a token throw away line about what their aim is - would have been nice. I suppose a development of this season would be Beckett's retrovirus.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps