Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lost: "Dave" $

Author Topic: Lost: "Dave" $
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"God can't see this island, anymore than the rest of the world can." (They've crashed on Kobol?)

What a great episode. There have been various, not entirely unfair, criticisms about the way the overarching plot has been advanced or not advanced (though not from me, really), but one thing I think Lost does really well is balance it's huge cast. Like, this episode is all about Hurley, and we only get a little bit of Locke, but his brief scenes are so telling. Especially his frustration when guns are being fired and he's stuck in bed.

"Henry Gale" is now an Other for sure. My favorite part, maybe, is his seeming disbelief when Sayid tries to shoot him. "I'm not a bad person!" Combine that with his above-referenced comment about God and I get a certain religious vibe off him, and by extension the Others in general.

And what about Ethan's occasional feats of seeming superstrength, or at least more-than-expected strength? (Ethan was a Cylon?) Just how did "Henry" get captured, anyway? Especially considering that, if Rousseau is to be believed, he's the first Other she's ever even seen, much less put her hands to.

And will we ever get a Libby flashback? Now that we know (at least one of) her mysterious secret(s).

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in a less philosophical vein, OMG LIBBY IS SO FYNE. I kept expecting her to mention her experience as a clinical psychologist or whatever and for it to be a reflected doctor/patient thing (like Jack and Kate only without the mutual attraction). But the resolution of that was super awesome, and I'm very glad to see Hurley finally getting his big love on (even if it would take a crazy woman to love him, (I shed a single tear for you, big guy). And him flipping out on Sawyer was just classic and exactly what should have happened to make me love both of those characters all the more.

Speaking of crazy, I totally saw the imaginary friend thing coming like a mile and a half away. Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy it, but...

No, I enjoyed it. The whole episode. I loved Henry telling Locke about not pressing the button. And I especially loved the bit with "Henry" and Sayid. I was going to be super double-plus pissed if they squandered another opportunity to interrogate an "other." Like I get it, the show needs to be enigmatic and cryptic, but it just makes me mad when the Lord Of The Flies political aspects of the show start making really dumb decisions. To me it's more interesting if they keep leaving the trail of bread-crumbs, giving us little bits and don't have to point out AGAIN that humans can be stupid and self-absorbed and act rashly.

So I simultaneously want and don't want the "he" Henry was talking about to be Alvor Hanso.

RE: Ethan's superstrength. I'm not sure that Ethan was superduper, but maybe seemed that way by comparison being a pretty big guy and having survived on this kooky island for however long. Beating up Charlie or dragging Claire wouldn't be that hard (combined weight=150lbs). Jack would be a lot tougher, but as I recall Ethan got the drop on him the one time.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re Ethan: I wouldn't put him at, say, Luke Cage level. Maybe more Daredevil. Anyway there are vague suggestions, I think, of assorted Fantastic Capabilities adhering to Ethan specifically, and assorted Others in general. Dragging away Claire and Charlie, for instance, and OK, perhaps the two easiest people to drag away, at the time, but then he totally strings Charlie way up in a tree. (But maybe he had help? Well, yeah, maybe.) And he did catch Jack by surprise, but then he proceeded to kick his ass rather thoroughly. (A favor which, yes, Jack returned later.) Then there are his mad sling skills, coupled with a showy one-handed choke lift. Finally, he did a number on poor Scott.

Then there's all that business about moving silently and not leaving any tracks. (And yet Locke and Kate were able to at least sort of follow him.)

They're clearly not unstoppable supermen, but I do get a sense that they're, you know, not factory standard.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There can be no question that Ethan was a badass. I just don't know whether his feats were supernatural. And I'm one who is generally all for artificially augmented super-dudes.

The no tracks/subtle tracks thing is a trait I think associated with the others. This could just be an experienced jungle-dweller thing (and we see a group (their shins at least) shuffle past Jin and Mr. Eko in sneaky single file like the native Americans of TV western fame.)

I forgot to mention Sayid calling "Henry" on his bullshit about his non-involvement in the real balloonist Henry Gale's death. Because that was really pretty great and seemed like it was going someplace in an intense, experienced interrogator sort of way right up to the point that Sayid went all Tarantino.

Also did we already talk about "Henry" calling the Hatch a joke? Surely he/they must be aware of other installations on the island. Presumptuously, I wondered whether he might not be referencing some larger picture with that statement.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Some interpretations: The button-pressing ritual is, as Jack originally postulated, a psychological experiment and nothing more.

Or/and, it is a sneaky reference to Locke's entire belief system, namely that his experiences on the island hold some metaphysical meaning and are part of a grander design; beliefs which are on shaky ground already.

I have heard some claim that the fake Mr. Gale is in Claire's episode from some weeks back, but as far as I know no photographic evidence has yet surfaced.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps