Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Can you change at will from robot to sportscar? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Can you change at will from robot to sportscar?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
Transformers

Generation 1
Beast Wars
Beast Machines
Robots in Disguise
Armada
Energon
Cybertron

Never knew there were so many Transformers shows - only seen the Traditional Transformers from the 80's. Seriously - people who grew up in the 80's - pretty much most of us - had WAY better cartoons than the 90's or 00's kids.

Transformers
Thundercats
Voltron
Gummi Bears
He-Man
She-ra
Danger Mouse
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea
Astroboy
Dungeons and Dragons
Babar
Ducktales
Inspector Gadget
Rainbow Brite
Smurfs
Snorks
Superfriends
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

And others!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I found this page - it's quite funny - I've only read the pages on the Wondertwins, Samurai and Wonderwomen. The 'relabelled' cartoons are quite funny!

http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Double!

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, no Ulysses 31? No Battle of the Planets? No Hong Kong Phooey or Captain Caveman? Those are the shows of my youth (though, granted, some of them were likely already repeats), but then I'm old enough to remember TAS being on TV (and probably saw TOS on its first repeat run on BBC TV, given its first airing was in 1969).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Never knew there were so many Transformers shows - only seen the Traditional Transformers from the 80's.

Well, now you know. And knowing is half the battle. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

quote:
Transformers
Voltron
Inspector Gadget

Three examples of great 80's shows that tried to come back later and generally failed (except for Beast Wars/Beast Machines), as opposed to...
quote:
He-Man
Superfriends
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

...these shows that came back and (IMHO) surpassed the originals. Well, if you count the modern Justice League cartoon as being the sucessor to Superfriends, which I do.
quote:
Smurfs
Don't even get me started on Smurfs. They ended the show with that horrible time-travel season and they never even got home. It was like the Quantum Leap finale except blue.
quote:
Gummi Bears
How sad is it that I'm playing through the original Kingdom Hearts and my biggest complaint is that the Gummi Ship seemingly has nothing to do with the Gummi Bears?
quote:
Danger Mouse
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea

Three great cartoons from the golden age of Nickelodeon. I got Seasons 1&2 of Danger Mouse for Christmas, and it was just as good as I remember it. What I really want is Spartakus on DVD. That was my all-time favorite show as a kid. I remember Mysterious Cities of Gold came on right before or after Spartakus, but I wasn't into it as much.
quote:
Dungeons and Dragons
I don't think I ever watched it when it was first on, but D&D is one of those odd shows that just keeps popping up on TV every once in a while. It's actually airing on Toon Disney's Jetix block these days.
quote:
Babar
I watched Babar when it was on HBO, but I was more into it's companion show: A Wizard of Oz cartoon that was based on the first several books instead of the movie.
quote:
And others!

You forgot G.I. Joe! You... You're no child of the 80's if you forgot G.I. Joe! [Wink]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to watch Beast Wars religiously. I would force myself to get up at 7:00AM every Sunday morning so that I could get ready to watch it by 8:00. Then they gave Beast Machines and though I liked it I felt that it did not reach the same stature of greatness as Beast Wars.

Finally, does anyone remeber Reboot? It was another show done by Mainframe which I believe is their greatest work to date, even though its one their earliest shows.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reboot looked really cool but the story was (usually).....meh.
It showed what Cybertron could have looked like instead of the dark alley look of Beast Machines.

Added to the "great old shows" list should be Galaxy Rangers.
Man this was the best cartoon ever as a kid- I recall skipping class for the first time to watch it.

While it had already been around forever, I used to love Star Blazers as a kid (though like most of the shows on the list, it's nigh-unwatchable now).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a few of those shows, some I was either too young to remember, or they stopped showing them before I was born.

I remember Transformers, vaguely.
Inspector Gadget was cool.
TMNT was my favorite show.
He-Man and She-Ra were great.
I seem to remember an old Disney show called Gummi Bears, Is that the one your thinking of?
Ducktales ruled
Didn't care for Babar.
My sister was big into Rainbow Brite.

There was a Battletech animated series in the early 90's that I used to watch. It used very early CGI technology. It was pretty neat.

Reboot was ok. I was kinda mad when it came out because it replaced the new Speed Racer show I used to like.

I remember a show called Shadow Raiders, based on a toy line.

That reminds me. Why in the hell are they making anime shows about retarded little toys nowadays? Yu-Gi-Oh and Battle BDaman to name a couple. What the hell is the point in making a show about a card battle game! and having little animated children shooting steel marbles at each other with little toy robots!? THAT IS SO LAME!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get Star Blazers in the original Japanese, and you're good to go.
Galaxy Rangers rocked.
I also loved SilverHawks.
Ah, hell, my list:

Star Blazers
Loony Tunes
Voltron (I preferred the vehicle team to the lions, except for the leader)
Transformers
Robotix
Starriors
Robotech
Mighty Orbots
G.I. Joe
M.A.S.K.
Dungeons & Dragons
Visionaries
He-Man (serious crush on the Sorceress, man...)
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Scooby Doo
Kid Video
The Great Space Coaster
Thundercats
Tale Spin
Duck Tales
Darkwing Duck
Rescue Rangers (Disney Afternoon rocked)
SilverHawks
Galaxy Rangers
Batman: The Animated Series/Batman & Robin
I even watched Challenge of the Go-Bots in mute horror...

I'm probably forgetting a few. I also liked X-Men (ish) and loved ReBoot, but I consider those a little after my Golden Age. Batman barely squeaks in under the wire.

Incidentally, the Series 2 action figure for Dot Matrix has serious cameltoe... which, incidentally, so does the original Cheetara figure. I sometimes wonder about those sculptors.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes wonder about what kind of nasty perverts they get to work at Disney... I'm not gunna go into details because I think there's already been a thread about Disney sex references.

I forgot about Rescue Rangers. That was a sweet show.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The vast majority of cartoons in the 1980s were screeching toy commercials. I mean, seriously, He-Man? Have you actually watched it lately? It is stone awful.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Smurfs were all blue because there was only one Smurfette.

Always liked G-Force

Then there was the horrible Gilligan's Planet.

What I really need is my Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator so I can blow up the Earth. (It obstructs my view of Venus)

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Not to mention adopting the current (well, for the last decase or so) anime trend of describing/declaring their special attacks before making them

Surely that would be due to Armada/Energon/Cybertron/RID being, y'know, anime.

(Also, RiD was much more fun than Beast Machines. Yes.)

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Never knew there were so many Transformers shows - only seen the Traditional Transformers from the 80's. Seriously - people who grew up in the 80's - pretty much most of us - had WAY better cartoons than the 90's or 00's kids.

Except, y'know, we didn't. Every generation reckons they have the best cartoons, and they are generally wrong. Have you actually, honestly tried watching the original Transformers series now? It has awful animation, awful stories, childish writing... the only good thing is the voice acting.

The fact that you've included He-Man in that list is a clear sign you haven't watched it for ages. He-Man was, easily, one of the worst cartoons ever.

Kids today are going to sit in pubs when they're in their 20s saying "god, you remember Dexter's Lab, X-Men: Evoltion, Xaiolin Showdown, Justice League? Compared to them, kids' cartoons today are shit."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talespin and Duck Tales, now those were shows that I remeber fondly. I was also a huge fan of show called Mighty Max which was (no surprise) based on a toy line. I also used to love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the first cartoon series not this horrible new one, and the Ghostbusters cartoon(the one that features the characters from the movies).

quote:
I sometimes wonder about what kind of nasty perverts they get to work at Disney... I'm not gunna go into details because I think there's already been a thread about Disney sex references.
Well in the "Little Mermaid" I remeber when she loses her fish tail and sprouts hips and legs she doesn't seem to have any pants to cover her goodies. I hate that movie with a passion.
Da_bang80
Member # 528

I was gunna quote Mars. But it seems redundant since his post is directly above this one. The castle towers in the Little Mermaid look like penis's, In Lion King the word sex is stuck in there, in Alladin he says "Take your cloths off" real quietly in the balcony scene. I'm sure there are a lot more.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps