Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Doctor Who 2.05 "Rise of the Cybermen" [Spoilers]

Author Topic: $$ Doctor Who 2.05 "Rise of the Cybermen" [Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEST. EPISODE. YET.

Holy chilling, Batman. There's just so much going on this time it'll take another viewing to get it all.

-Mickey, and Rickey, get tons to do. The very best scene was when Rose and Mickey deceide to wander off in opposite directions, the Doctor is stuck int he middle, and Mickey gets the concrete answer he's been after for a year and a half. Marvelous!

-Apparently, interdimensional travel was a common enough thing for the Time Lords... This throwaway relevation pretty well explains away ANY continuity problems between adventures. Perhaps the Time Lords are unique to one/our dimension, but have explored many others? In any case, it's a confirmation that the TARDIS is, or rather was, linked to Gallifrey for power and travel. Whatever's running it now, it's not linked to the Eye of Harmony.

-So what's the deal with the little glowey green crystal thing, aside from being a quick plot contrivance to get everyone back to their universe in a day? Is it a link to this universe, or a link to the Time Lords? And the Doctor puts ten years of his life into it to get it going again, laughing it off.

-Torchwood exists here, and is public. Doubt it'll figure into the story, though. For all we know, it could be this world's Krispy Creme.

-We have no idea why Lumic is doing this. How does being immortal in the personal sense link to converting everyone into Cybermen?

-The President of Great Britain was the hologram Banks in an episode of Red Dwarf.

-Great thing, using the psychic paper to infiltrate a high-class party as... hors d'oevres attendants. You get to see the Doc in a tux and Rose in a flux - that's two infiltrations in a row where she's the servant girl. [Smile] And yet, the Doc keeps his trademark sneakers!

-Tough stuff for Rose, realizing that it seems her parents are fated to be an doomed couple no matter what happens. She's always had an idealized vision of her dad, and to see him so flawed at every turn must seriously be messing her up.

-"DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!". You've all said it before when typing. Now it's a Doctor Who catch phrase. [Smile]

-Human point 2? Not 2.0? I guess 1.1 could mean everyone with the ear modems. Everyone is of course reminded of last year's semi-companion Adam, who had an implant for the same thing in the year 200K.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The President of Great Britain was the hologram Banks in an episode of Red Dwarf."

So that's why he seemed familiar...

"The very best scene was when Rose and Mickey deceide to wander off in opposite directions, the Doctor is stuck int he middle, and Mickey gets the concrete answer he's been after for a year and a half."

Frankly, I thought that was pretty dumb. So the Doctor likes Rose better than Mickey. Was there even any question about that? The real question for Mickey is : whom would Rose choose?

Also, I just want to say that I liked Lumic's portrayal. The melodramatic way he had of speaking. A little over-the-top? Yes. But very much like an old-school Who villain. I wouldn't want to see all the bad guys portrayed that way, but having one now and again is nice.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don Warrington (the President) has been cropping up in all sorts of things in the UK recently, but I'm unsure where else I'd've seen him previously. The Red Dwarf one doesn't ring a bell.

. . . And now I've looked him up, I remember: Rising Damp! Obviously he's a lot older now, but the voice remains the same.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also appears on the new series of "Grumpy old men" as one of their contributors. No mistaking that voice though, and the permanent "smell the fart" expression on his face - he does haughty very well! [Smile]

I liked the episode a lot - the humour is coming a little easier now and doesn't seem quite as forced as it has in earlier episodes, and Tennant's Doctor is becoming better and better at putting a lot of weight into a single line: for example, his simple explanation of why Cybermen have no emotion: "Because it hurts."

BTW was I the only one wondering if they hadn't landed on an alternative Earth, but an alternative Mondas?

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mondas was indeed identical to Earth, and I think that the Doctor said that Mondas was an ancient name for Earth. I did wonder too...

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOLY CRAPA MOLY!

Wow!

Is Lumic played by the same guy who played Barty Crouch Senior (to Tennant's Barty Crouch Junior) in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?

Is he the tax collector from Red Dwarf's Better Than Life?

More thoughts later - I just finished watching it - I want part II!!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don's doing some Kenco adverts at the moment.

We've had Anthony Head and Don Warrington so far this year, wonder if we'll get Nigel Havers or Ray Burdis for the "ManChild" series box set?

Or is it just the Coffee connection (AH first became famous with some Nescafe coffee ads)

I also wonder if these Cybermen will have the same weaknesses as the old, and are there any connections?

Isn't Lumic doing a Davros impression? Or am I being wheelchair-ist?

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found that yes Lumic is indeed played by the same actor who portrayed Barty Crouch Snr.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he's still pretty famous for playing Trigger in "Only Fools and Horses", but he's also well known for playing Owen in "The Vicar of Dibley". I was surprised by how good he was in a villainous role, to be honest...it's nice to see that he has more of a range than just comedy.

He also has a great accent for a villain - is it slightly west country?

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

Sorry, meant to have a go at answering some of these points earlier...

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
-Apparently, interdimensional travel was a common enough thing for the Time Lords... This throwaway relevation pretty well explains away ANY continuity problems between adventures. Perhaps the Time Lords are unique to one/our dimension, but have explored many others? In any case, it's a confirmation that the TARDIS is, or rather was, linked to Gallifrey for power and travel. Whatever's running it now, it's not linked to the Eye of Harmony.

The impression I got from the Doctor in this scene was that Gallifrey was unique across realities and the Time Lords helped keep the barriers from becoming impossible to traverse. Maybe they also had some way of making all the realities compatible with one another - so that technology from one would work in another. Unusual though for the Time Lords to be associated in any way with making things easier: as the Doctor said, when they died the universe became less kind. Usually the Time Lords are presented as being stuffy and unwilling to get involved, so it's good to see that a universe without them is notably worse off and that things aren't just ticking along fine without them. I wonder if the series will ever hint at the power vacuum the Time Lords have left? That must have been the reason the Krillitanes wanted to crack the Skasis Paradigm and control the universe...I wonder how many other powers want to take Gallifrey's place?

quote:
-So what's the deal with the little glowey green crystal thing, aside from being a quick plot contrivance to get everyone back to their universe in a day? Is it a link to this universe, or a link to the Time Lords? And the Doctor puts ten years of his life into it to get it going again, laughing it off.

Exactly as the Doctor said - it was one of those forgotten little power cells, just barely this side of alive. If the TARDIS is powered by the universe it might have some means of containing it: meaning a pocket of "our" reality existed in there. I don't think it's a link to the Gallifrey or the Time Lords, just a single battery that managed not to go bust in the crash, is all.

quote:
-We have no idea why Lumic is doing this. How does being immortal in the personal sense link to converting everyone into Cybermen?

The Cybermen will need a leader...maybe Lumic wants to build his army then Cyberform himself?

FD

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My initial thought was that Lumic wanted everyone Cybered so that when he did it to himself to survive, presumably becoming a Cyber Controller, he wouldn't be regarded as a freak and could still retain his power.

But that doesn't really compute given he felt the need to gain approval (from Geneva or somewhere, as well as from the President?) even though he knew it wouldn't be granted to he made plans to proceed anyway. I mean, would his proposal document have been titled "Proposal To Cyber The Entire Human Race So They Won't Laugh At Me And Call Me Davros, Especially Since I Can't Get Up Out Of My Chair And Beat Them Up Like Andy In Litte Britain?"

And if he wanted to control everyone, why not just roll out the enhanced earpieces like Rose's mum got - or would the extra stuff in them have been discovered if they'd been made public, so only private individuals would be given access to them, like Pete wanting to give his wife a present?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully, since these Cybermen come not from Mondas, but from alternate-universe Battersea, they won't be susceptible to gold dust. I always thought that was a rather silly weakness.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps