Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The last Alias $

Author Topic: The last Alias $
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? There was an immortal in it last week.

Uh, anyway, it is on tonight, and I thought someone might have something to say about it, or, prior to that, about the season (or series) in general.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the manner of Sloane's return to no-kidding evil, though I hold out hope for some kind of. . . well, not redemption exactly, but he should totally save Jack Bristow at the last moment. Because they were friends. Then Sydney can shoot him in the face and we'll all be satisfied.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"he should totally save Jack Bristow at the last moment"

I meant THE EXACT OPPOSITE should happen. Yes.

So, neat. I don't suppose there's a chance that Jack's remnants ended up in the pool, but perhaps I will pretend there was.

I'm kind of disappointed that Rambaldi never showed up, which was something I had been kind of expecting to happen ever since that immortal clockmaker appeared in the first season. And the missile plot seemed a little. . . well, routine. Blowing up cities for purely financial reasons doesn't really seem like either Sloane or Irina's style. (And what if the red fluid seeping out from under her was actually magic revivification juice, huh?) Oh, and didn't it seem like a Balthazar Getty subplot disappeared?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Getty blow up before the series finale anyway?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

No? Unless that happened in what was technically the first part and you're only counting part two?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was kind of half-hoping that Balthazar's connection to "The Cardinal" was going to be some psychotically convoluted double-mole where it turned out that he really was a good guy, but he still had to lie to Rachel about it. Speaking of which, Rachel == doubpleplus good.
quote:
Simon said:
I don't suppose there's a chance that Jack's remnants ended up in the pool, but perhaps I will pretend there was.

For what it's worth, I was secretly hoping the same thing. I am looking forward to the spinoff series where, in a featureless black void and under pinspots, Ron Rifkin and Victor Garber read instruction manuals and telephone directories to one another in accusatory tones.

I think overall I was satisfied with what happened with the reveal of Irina and the pinning of immortal Sloane by Jack. Sark's part was fun, and I liked the epilogue with Syd and Vaughn living peaceably in some gorgeous, anonymous beach and Dixon in a position of real power. But I felt like I didn't get a chance to enjoy the execution of how it happened. Like the way it went down maybe didn't work right maybe.

This could be largely in part due to my sense that the whole wrap-up seemed to accelerate too quickly. Not to mention that Sydney's part in Rambaldi's end-game was somewhat overstated w/r/t the prophecy and her key-role. She shoots Sloane in the face (which we all wanted and Simon was prescient enough to see) and beats the tar out of Irina, but anyone could shoot Sloane and while Irina is definitely a difficult person to fight, a dozen guys with MP5s standing in a semi-circle would probably do the trick.

I think mostly I was envisioning a bigger culmination for the Rambaldi plot. Some crazy amalgamation of these ancient devices erecting a massive, crystaline pyramid with mind powers and bleeming super-luminal messages to inexplicable corners of the galaxy while the lattice begins resonnating at such a frequency to A) destroy all buildings within, say, a 2000 mile radius and/or B) open some dimensional rift the nature or consequence of which science cannot predict. But like because of who she is or what she is, Syndey has the means within her to prevent it or is immune to its mind powers or something. OK, so maybe not that, but something on that level and not boring old vanilla nuclear apocalypse and greed.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Did those missiles even have nuclear warheads? I thought the plan was going to involve dispersing the red liquid via them, but no.

I'm OK with there not apparently being an overarching Rambaldi end-game, really, since it always seemed like he had all sorts of crazy ideas (Da Vinci style) and only some of them added up to an apocalypse. For instance, beyond the container, there doesn't seem to be much connection between his immortality serum and the Mueller device.

I kind of get the feeling (or perhaps this is just more wishful thinking on my part) that certain elements of Rambaldi (Like, for instance, what was with all this mind control business? Or, more essentially, just what are/were his motives?) were left open on the off chance of some future story. Though Abrams has, I believe, forty-seven new series premiering next season, and is now a big time movie director, maybe Paramount will decide Mission Impossible 4 would be cooler if they dropped the Mission Impossible part and added more red wigs.

Because it totally would.

I'm not sure that Sloane is stuck there for all eternity. For one thing, there's a rescue team on the way, and they're going to be looking for Jack and not finding him, and there's a string of explosives missing and a collapsed underground chamber. Not that they'd have the equipment to dig it out on them just then, but surely someone is going to want to know exactly what happened. If not the U.S. government then some other Rambaldi acolyte.

Of course, what I really wanted was for Sloane to drag Jack back down and heal him, and then Jack wakes up and is like, thanks Arvin, but I still can't let you leave, and then he blows up the explosives so they can be trapped down there Lazarus style. Because I am not so sure I want an Alias story without Jack Bristow.

(And "I never wanted this life for Sydney," Jack? You may think that now, but what was with those fun father-daughter afternoons spent timing how fast she could disassemble your pistol?)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps