Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » So how'd ya like it (Dr.Who in USA) $$spoilers no doubt$$

Author Topic: So how'd ya like it (Dr.Who in USA) $$spoilers no doubt$$
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now that the season is over, how did the American fans enjoy the show. I say for this being the first time watching the show, I thought Eccleston did a good job of being the Doctor. He will sorely be missed. Well let's hope Tennant will do as good as a job.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had originally planned to write up summaries Friday night after each episode was aired, but I got too antsy and bought the Canadian DVD's, so I saw the entire series/season way before Sci-Fi Channel broadcasted them. I kept my mouth shut until they were done.

Anyway, just the fact that I purchased the DVD's ahead of time should basically say what I thought of the show. It was absolutely fantastic. I grew up with Tom Baker's Doctor, and he was always my favorite. Not anymore. They made a great choice with Eccleston, and it irks me that he felt he'd be typecast after one season (Why the hell did he accept the role if he was going to be worried about that?)

As I said, I was very impressed with the new series, with just a few exceptions. The whole "Great and Bountiful Human Empire" of the year 200,000 didn't look very convincing to me. I mean, this is the year 200,000, and people are wearing the same clothes you can get at the local K-Mart, and acting pretty much the same way people act in the present? (I know the Doctor stated that the Empire was about a century behind where it should be, but I doubt the changes between the year 199,900, and 200,000 are gonna be all that different.)

And, of course, after all that happened, I'm still not exactly sure what or who the "Bad Wolf" was supposed to be.

If I had to summarize the difference between this new series and the old one in one sentence, I'd have to say that the old series was about the Doctor, while the new series is more about how other people's lives are affected because of the Doctor's actions.

From what I've read so far (yes, now I'm spoiling myself), I think Tennant is going to be just fine. But I will miss Chris.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall, I loved it.

Absolutely LOVED it!!!

I'm disappointed that Eccleston is leaving. I think he might be my new favorite Doctor.

It's was a great season and I can't wait for the next ones.

But I thought the season finale was lackluster. "Bad Wold" had an incredible build up. Edge of my seat the whole episode. Then it all petered away in part 2.

I really, REALLY disliked the "Deux ex Machine." Yes, they mentioned the heart of the Tardis before, but it seemed like a big cop-out. It really felt like "we've painted ourselves into a corner, now how do we get out."

Which really wasn't the case. I think they intended to do this the whole time. But it seemed weak. "Let's give Rose some ultimate, cosmic powers and she can save the day."

Please. Give me a break. I could have done without the cool Phoenix style cosmic powers. I would have rather seen Rose learn how to run the TARDIS or somehow place herself in suspended animation until the millenia had passed and she could save the Doctor.

And then the Doctor taking the power of time and space into himself, so he overloaded and died. Sheesh. Seemed like the death was an afterthought designed to get rid of Eccleston. Again, I was hoping for a much more important, deeper impacting death. The doctor sacrifices his current life to save everyone.

So, does this mean there are finally no more Daleks?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Eccleston was right up there with Tom Baker from way back when. I really enjoyed it then, and was typically leary of this new one, but it was also very good.

I was thinking that the Doc would, in the end, save the day, or kill off humanity, himself living by virtue of two hearts or something, then using the TARDIS key recalling it from the depths of the Earth, with flashes of Rose trying to get the TARDIS to work till she was old and gray. Then the Doc going back to get her when all was said and down.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps