Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "Flesh and Blood" [Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SG1 "Flesh and Blood" [Spoilers]
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.

The Alterans were from some other galaxy, and looked pretty much like us. Some left to run around and explore the universe. Some stayed behind and became the Ori. Those that left became known as the Ancients. They seem to have run around pretty much everywhere, and may well be the ancestors of all the not-quite-human races we've seen, including the Nox and the Asgard. There seem to have been a number of groups. Some ascended during that uberplague in our galaxy millions of years ago. Others were on earth a few tens of thousands of years ago, in Atlantis. This group (the Lanteans) left to explore a new galaxy, ran into the Wraith, and stopped there. But there could well be other groups still running around.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute, wait a minute - that Lanteans were on Earth living on Atlantis (or they just used this to go to the Pegasus Galaxy?)... there was no Wraith when they got there - they must have seeded the Pegasus galaxy and then the Eratis bug began to evolve into the Wraith drawing on the traits of the 'humans' that were there.

OR was the Pegasus Galaxy empty and Lanteans moved in and spread throughout that galaxy and the Eratis bug fed on them. Some didn't ascend - some are essentially around as the descendents like Tayla and Ronan's peoples.

OR was the Pegasus galaxy seeded like the Milky Way using D'kara or something similar in the Pegasus galaxy?

And how did that seeding work? The "Alterans" were nearly all wiped out by the plague so they reseeded the galaxy with Humans or just Earth? I thought the idea was that Earth was the home of humans throughout our Galaxy.

This is getting confusing!!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the timeline goes something like this:

long time ago, galaxy far away: pre-split Alterans evolve.

(long time ago minus some time), galaxy far away: Alteran society splits into into Ori and Ancients, Ancients ousted by Ori, Ori eventually ascend to Pah-Wraiths and become all-evil, seed their galaxy with believers.

(long time ago minus some more time), Milky Way: Ancients fleeing from galaxy far away settle Earth (Terra), begin seeding life, dump stargates everywhere, form big alliance with Asgard & Nox & Furlings (?), etc.

X million years ago, Milky Way: plague starts spreading across galaxy, Ancients initiate ascension research, some Ancients ascend, most are wiped out, others escape to Pegasus galaxy in Atlantis but not before rebooting Milky Way via big glowy thingy on Dakara.

X million years ago, Pegasus galaxy: surviving Ancients repeat Milky Way seeding process, accidentally (?) let Wraith evolve on one of their seeded planets, fight massive war, are driven back to Atlantis.

10K years ago: Ancients in Pegasus galaxy leave behind Atlantis and escape back to now-rebooted Earth, mix with local population (ie. second evolution of their form) causing Ancient genes to enter human DNA.

5K years ago: Goa'uld show up, transplant primitive humans from Earth all over Milky Way.

present day: you are here.

("Lanteans" is just the cutesy Wraith name for the Ancients in Pegasus.)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKYOU!!

I was wondering how the rebooting 10k years ago would give enough time for new evolution of the species.

So the "Lanteans" who came back to Earth never ascended - or most probably Altarens were ascending all over the place since the original Ascension to avoid the plague.

1. Who caused the plague?
2. The chick who was found frozen near the Antarctic gate had the plague did she not? So either it's a different plague or they LIVED with the plague over millions of years cause she was from 10k ago.

The Alterans/Lanteans must have been long lived to have Merlin around ~1500 years ago. Maybe a small branch survived on Earth somewhere?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... we know from Merlin that at least some of the Pegasus refugees ascended (and, in his case, later descended again) after returning to Earth, but a lot of them probably didn't, influencing Roman and Greek mythology though generally staying out of history's way.

"Who caused the plague?" is one of those story-threads the writers like to keep dangling until they can figure out how to properly tie it up.

Her Frozen Ancient Hotness found in Antarctica had been there for millions of years, not thousands, as she can be seen in SGA's pilot episode when Atlantis flies off for greener pastures.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah - and I'm fairly certain that Atlantis was sent off to Pegasus before the plague thing wiped everyone out. Didn't the slightly-less-hot hologram in "Rising" explain all that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Atlantis

There's a link to the Ancients' article from there.

Mark

[ July 18, 2006, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok...so more confusing than I thought.

Questions:

1. Do we know for sure that the precursor to the Ori Ancient split took place away from Earth? (Hazy memory from a Merlin episode?)

If so, then its a real coincidence that we evolved to "the second evolution of their form".

2. What were the Ancients seeding exactly in our galaxy and in Pegasus? Like were they tossing around bacteria, a disabled version of themselves that we know now as humans, or full-blown pre-ascention Ancients?

3. Biologically, how different are they? I mean they have funky healing powers and whatnot. But if Cartman's 10k years ago point is correct, then we share genes with them not out of convergent evolution but because we actually did the nasty with them? (That would make us the same species even, biologically speaking)

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...if the Ancients ascended to become glowy-white jellyfish.... and Daniel ascended to become a glowy-white jellyfish... wouldn't that put him in the same class as the Ancients? Given that the Ancients did the horizontal Lambada with the humans present, they mingled and became at least Half-Ancient. So TECHNICALLY, anyone with the gene is part Ancient. Would this mean that it is easier for them to ascend too?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily. I'm told I'm about 1/16 French (and otherwise Vietnamese), and to my knowledge I don't have a higher resistance to wine than any other Asian guy. [Wink]

IIRC, The ATA gene occurs at a frequency of about one in 16,000, and itself is one gene amongst many thousands. It by no means suggests that ascendency is easier as a result - typcially ascending seems to be more of a mental and spiritual thing than anything of the flesh. Daniel apparently doesn't have the ATA gene (which is why they kept going with O'Neill, who does and who therefore can fly puddle jumpers, etc.).

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
2. What were the Ancients seeding exactly in our galaxy and in Pegasus? Like were they tossing around bacteria, a disabled version of themselves that we know now as humans, or full-blown pre-ascention Ancients?

Aincent-tards.

I'm still wondering what the Aincents were doing in The Abyss and where the Shadows and Vorlons fit in...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

One more thing about the 'seeding' of the galaxy - are they saying that humans now evolved on all the planets that we've seen (with humans) or they seeded the galaxy with various types of life forms, otherwise that wipes out the entire premise of the Goa'uld and the Tau'ri etc.

The Asgard are from another Galaxy, and we know nothing about the Nox and the Furlings, really - and the other aliens we've seen have been the 'altered-humans' Jaffa, those two from the first Vala episode who were waiting for the shipment, the Unas, the Fishy guy from "Fire and Water", the crystal aliens from season 1, the aliens with the freaky nostrils/mouths that were the basis for some Native American mythologies and the glowy aliens from "Crystal Skull" oh and the aliens from the 'life-boat' and 'space race episodes' who interbread with the human population - they were the 'Hebrideans' or something oh and I suppose the Goa'uld parasites themselves

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Nope, they're still saying that the Goa'uld populated most of the Milky Way. The Ancients seeded some planets, but not all; alternatively, it's possible that they seeded plenty, but wiped everyone out with the big reboot device on Dakara. Either way, the Goa'uld still came across Earth about ten thousand years ago, decided that skin looked better on them than scales, and started exporting the primitive defenseless population en masse through the stargate to a thousand more worlds.

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The Reboot device was used to wipe out everything after that plague MILLIONS of years before - wasn't it?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...how exactly did the Goa'uld first develop and come to power then?
It might be cool if they were an Aincents experiment to preserve their knowledge while the young races matured, but things went wrong...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANCIENTS

(The Goa'uld first possessed the lizardy bipedal Unas who also lived on their homeworld, presumably something they'd been doing for as long as both species existed, I guess, and then they found the stargates, and then they all swapped their Unas bodies for human ones even though the Unas are like twenty times more robust. Maybe they started out with some unascended Ancients, since they wouldn't be able to operate some of their tools with Unas bodies, and moved on to humans from there. Just why an aquatic neuroparasite would need to evolve intelligence in the first place is left unanswered. )

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps