Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » OSC && Empire

Author Topic: OSC && Empire
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel odd putting this up after the latest series of spamming, but whatever. I also have something to discuss and no one who has kept track of my posts could possibly confuse me for OSC [Wink]

In any case, he's put up the first bit of his manuscript for a new book at http://www.hatrack.com/osc/books/empire/empire.shtml

Anyhow, the basic premise is that a terrorist event in the near future assassinates a President and starts a civil war. Its interesting, but a bit ominous.

Psuedo-spoiler warning ahead

The reason is this, OSC has never been known as a left-wing writer. Far from it, but from what I've read (most of the Enderverse novels, his time travel book, and Enchantment), it seems like OSC is having an increasing amount of trouble keeping his politics out of his writing.
The slide can be illustrated by Ender's Game (which seemed pretty neutral), moving to Xenocide (where the Chinese were psuedo-exotic people with a few bad tendencies IIRC) and moving onto the Bean novels where China goes and invades India and most of southeast Asia(!).

But this latest book (intro) seems to take the cake. With praising for an unnamed President (who seems awfully like Bush), a really strange depiction of university (as dominated by brainwashing left wing profs), and what seems to be leading into a civil war between a left-wing conspiracy in charge of the government against militia based in the red states, it just seems a bit extreme.

Now, I'm still interested and what is online of the book seems interesting, but then again I've always had fun reading about POVs very different from my own.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same trend or has any thoughts on reading books by very opinionated authors. (an example on the left-wing side in Canada would be Robert Sawyer, who can't seem to write a book without taking a jab at the US, which is fun, but still)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Card has a whole website devoted to angry political rants. But I stopped reading his fiction years ago for only tangentially related reasons (I didn't like his books anymore).

The list of sf authors who have succumbed to some pernicious meme that takes over their fiction is long and interesting. Go check out James Hogan's site for an extreme example.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you got Heinlein, if you want blatant rght-wing haranguing. Or Melissa Scott's gay'n'lesbian sci-fi (goodies=gay, baddies=straight, Christ only knows what she made happen in the Voyager and DS9 books she wrote).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely Heinlein's pernicious meme was incest, in the sense I am thinking. He was able to write books featuring his politics that weren't polemics. I guess. Well, Starship Troopers?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I recently read "time enough for love" by Heinlein. The length that man goes to to contrive fantastical situations that justify, or even encourage incest is a little disturbing.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, good, so I'm not the only one. I always wondered if he had any children; far as I've been able to find out he didn't. Whether that explains his ability to get behind the concept so enthusiastically, I don't know (what age did his mother live to/how old was he when she died are also some things that I've wondered).

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What freaked me out the most is the story that had a brother & sister specifically engineered to procreate without any genetic side effects...Why? I have no idea.

In an odd way I sort of perfer his earlier work like Puppet Masters, Starship Troopers & Citizen of the Galaxy (the last one being a favourite). I may not agree with his "Liberal Fascism" (or what ever you call it) but the narratives were far more compelling than his later stuff which had a tendency to ramble on a bit.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Almost everybody likes "young adult novel" Heinlein more than late period Heinlein, in my experience.

I read Gene Wolfe's collection Starwater Strains not long ago, after finally finishing his novel Soldier of the Mist and deciding it was my very favorite thing ever, and there were a few stories that seemed to revolve around how taxes were bad, and I did a little googling and found Wolfe has a few beliefs that I find a little strange. (Not including his religion, which I don't share, but don't find strange.) But Wolfe is so fantastically talented that it doesn't matter, and anyway it doesn't seem to come up much. From the same source I also read that he is apparently fond of Lamarckism, which I found much more bizarre.

Lee
Member # 393

I loved Soldier of the Mist. The sequel sucked, though.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Here is an essay, by John Kessel, that touches on the reasons I became uncomfortable with Card's fiction: Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps