Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Speed of SW starships

Author Topic: Speed of SW starships
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all: I'm a complete newbie on SW tech. The only thing I have with Star Wars is that I saw the four movies.

Now, I have a question. How fast are Star Wars ship actually? I'm busy with making a tech comparison on Star Wars and Star Trek ships, I think that would be interesting.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53672:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're referring to FTL travel, SW ships are much faster. Actually, there's a tech comparison here:
http://www.stardestroyer.net/

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the SW space-sims (Xwing, Tie Fighter-series etc.) non-hyperspace travel is measured in metres per second.
I know this because the game states that distances are measured in kilometres, so I took a trustworthy tie fighter and accelerated to 100 units (Tie/f max-speed) then flew by an inanimate object and counted the time it took to fly a full kilometre. The result showed that I flew 100 m/s, simple math.

The fastest craft in the sw-games is the TIE Defender, flying at 273 m/s (982 km/h or 611 mi/h) when all power is rerouted from tractor beam, lasers and shields into engines.
Pretty good scouting vehichle, huh? Strictly non-canon, of course...

However it would be no match against the Defiant's impulse engines, at max. In fact, I believe even Star Trek's thrusters can outrun any star wars vessel.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited July 09, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the games are irrelevant, since speed is not limited in space.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod: Never seen the Missile Boat go on full afterburners, did you? If I'm not mistaken that baby can get upto 426 m/s (1533.6 km/h or 953,1 mi/h). This in the TIE Fighter only. In X-wing Alliance they didn't include the booster.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 10, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, of course, but not sustainable. It depended on that lousy, single laserbank. And if you feed the laser from the shields you're a sitting duck.
A cool feature though, that any projectile fired while in boost sustained the present speed until impact. We're talking spacebombs gone ballistic!

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited July 10, 2000).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But nothing can compare to Ludicrous Speed! Screw subspace and hyperspace, Plaid is the way to go!!

------------------
"Cenus volunteers injured in the line of duty, sadly no one knows how many."
- The Daily Show.
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read some ST vs. SW websites. Only there is one thing there is not Star Trek sided website as indicated by these Star Wars sites. Anyway these sites say that Star Wars sites say that at normal speeds fighters and even large ships like the Star Destroyers can easily go to the FLT speeds. They say this becuase in Episode 5 the Milennium Falcon in a couple of minutes got into an astriod field.

However this is flawed since the movie never indicated how long the Star Destroyers have been chasing the MF. Also Star Trek ships can go at almost the speed of light too. Half impulse is I think a 1/4 speed of light.

Those speeds as stated seem reasonable since you don't see in Episode 4 flying circles around the Death Star.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been a big fan of SW vs ST sites or otherwise. How about in both franchises ships go really fast.

And about the missile boat, there's no ship better when you've got a full load of advanced concussion missiles, especially against z-95s (lousy rebels)

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I browsed over the Web for some info... I think it's hopeless to compare ST ships to SW ships. SW ships are really overpowered. Any ST ship is no match for a SW ship, at both FTL speeds and weaponry. It just makes no sense comparing them.

The E-D is capable of 0.92c, as indicated by the TNGTM. So I think ST vessels can keep pace with SW ships at sublight.

BTW, I have become quite disturbed about the ST vs SW sites on the Internet. They're mainly created by SW fans. Even sites who claim to be neutral are incredibley SW-sided. An example is a site (don't remember name and URL, but there's a link to it at Boris Skrbic's site). The style of the site is a dialogue between SW and ST fans. SW fans appear tough, highly intellectual and blow away all ST-fan arguments. ST-fans are pinned down as silly science nerds with limited communicative ability.

I didn't say this because of the fact that I'm a Trekker, and can't accept the superiority of SW tech. I'm the first to admit that SW ships are much more powerful than ST ships, but it's just so appearent that all those comparisons are written from SW perspective.

Hope I don't get killed here for my critique... as this is a SW forum! *prays for mercy*

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited July 26, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, the problem is that the SW universe has been protrayed as having much greater levels of technology and capability. And it makes sense, since there's been galactic civilisation there for thousands of years, whereas the Trek civilisations are just getting started, essentially. Thus, when Trek fans try to prove that this isn't the case, they end up looking foolish.

BTW, the Web site you mentioned is The Ultimate Star Wars vs. Star Trek Database, I think.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"However, trying to convince your friends to learn a language is about as easy to do as getting a date with the pickup line 'Have you been to Weight Watchers?'" - How To Invent A Real Language

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Yes, that was the site.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alpha Centuri I totally agree with what you say. I believe that even though these Wars sided sites say that there are more Trek sided sites out there, there isn't. I know there are a few Trek sites that just state blindly that Trek would win but that was only for fun nothing really big.

I do not believe that Star Wars ships are faster at sublight speeds that Trek ships. But I do know that Trek ships are a whole lot slower than Wars ships. Currently I am still looking for any possible clues to the real power of both the TRek ships and Wars shields. But currently it isn't looking really good for Trek. All that Trek has against Wars is transporters, replicators, small cloaking devices, and the Borg. But I leave the Borg vs. Star Wars open for debate.

------------------
Perdict the unperdictable, but how do you unperdict the unperdictable?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps