Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Something screw with the Special Edition movies..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something screw with the Special Edition movies.....
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When i went to see Star Wars IV SE in theatres, I had no trouble Picking up the Sentinel class ship, at the very start... but when it came out on Video, I couldn't find it anywheres... is that intentional? or did Lucasfilm make a mistake?

------------------
he who laughs last....thinks slowest

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you get the Widescreen or Pan & Scan version of the Special Edition tapes?

The theatre screen is longer than the regular TV screen, so when a movie comes out on video, the "ends" are cropped off, and the camera "pans" with the action, so at any time, you could be watching the middle of the original shot, or anywhere in between.

The Star Wars Films were shot at a 2.35:1 ratio (meaning for every inch up, it's 2.35 long. So essentially, with the Pan & Scan version, you're missing HALF the original shot.

The widescreen edition places black bars at the top and bottom of the TV screen to "make" your TV the correct ratio of the theater so that you get to see the whole action.

More than likely, this is why you can't see that ship. It's not that it's not their -- it's that you've got the tape version that "cuts" it from the screen.

Invest in widescreen.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or get one of those sweet widescreen TVs!

The commercial for which shows a couple about to watch Star Wars.

------------------
Flare: Where sarcasm is just one more service we offer.
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, except the Pan & Scan tapes still won't show the cut stuff on the widescreen TVs.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's the sentinel-class?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sentinal Class Landing craft is a imperial shuttle-type vessel. In fact it is very similar to the Lambda Class shuttles, however it is larger and more heavily armed and is used to transport stormtroopers.

------------------
"You put the geeks on the left and the stalkers on the right and you run for daylight up the middle"
- William Shatner, discussing a Star Trek Convention on EW-

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

That's *is* in the Widescreen of Star Wars, in one of the scenes on Tatooine. Invest in letterbox!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aah, when the stormtroopers land to mount dewbacks? I remember that. I just bought the three SEs, I'll pay attention.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is another scene that is cut from the SE on the Video.

The first episode, in the theatre version, you can see Dash Rendar's Outrider take off. You don't see it in the video.

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

"Being a liberal is one of the most gutless choices you can make. It doesn't require you to think, it only requires you to feel." - Rush Limbaugh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Dash Rendar = Evil

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Nim
Member # 205

That's good, seeing as he's a post-fabrication of a computer game. But if it comes to that, I'd rather see Kyle Katarn, but that wouldn't be until Episode VII at least...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 07, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle had a crappy stupid studenty bum-fluff beard.

Er, JeffR, by "the first episode", do you mean Star Wars? Or "Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope", for people who enjoy long titles? Because it's on my video. After the oh-so-amusing bit where the alien whacks the annoying droid, our heroes zoom past, and the camera pulls back to show Mos Eisley in all it's, er, glory. The Outrider is flying overhead.

Hell, it's one of the clips used during that blurb at the beginning of all the Special Edition tapes, when George talks a bit, we see some improved shots, George talks a bit more, then someone says "Now, Sit back, and prepare to enjoy Star Wars! The special edition! Raaaaaaarrrrhh!"

Except without the roar.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited March 07, 2001).]

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing that too.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle rocks. Dash Rendar is a cheep rip-off.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see Dash Rendars ship on my widescreen/letterbox video. It's pretty small though, but it is there!

BTW: The sentinal class flies by a second time somewhere. I remember seeing it, but I forgot where...

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps