Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Well, I'VE always wondered

Author Topic: Well, I'VE always wondered
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - the Jedi are all great lightsabre to lightsabre fighters. Why? Who do they actually expect to fight? I can see Luke being taught to "duel" as they knew he had to fight Vader. But, in PM they would have usually only faced people with blasters etc. right? Only Jedi and Sith use sabres, Jedis (is that the plural?) don't fight each other - and they though Sith didn't exisit.

Why learn to duel, when there is noone to duel against?

OK, OK, I'll move out of the basement now

------------------
TK

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cuz fighting w/ lightsabers keeps the pounds off the ol' ass.

------------------
"You put the geeks on the left and the stalkers on the right and you run for daylight up the middle"
- William Shatner, discussing a Star Trek Convention on EW-

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibility A)
Maybe its sort of ceremonial or traditional?
Like certain military sections still practise fighting with bayonets to look good on parades and stuff?

Possibility B)
Maybe certain Jedi can spontaneously turn evil due to the allure of the Dark Side even without being influenced by the Sith? Then, Jedi would need to learn to duel "just in case."

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why learn to duel, when there is noone to duel against?"
Like the Shaolin monks - Because they have a great tradition that they uphold and because lightsabres are more pacifying than blasters and can be used with more functionality.
They ARE peacekeepers and diplomats. The lightsabres are superior weapons in their hands.

The jedi religion is, as we all know, a mixture of stuff.
Some of you probably know this better, but I think the Jedi Code resembles bushido. And the "live-and-let-live" policy makes me think of buddhism, coupled with the Shaolin's rules of engagement. That's like "Never start a fight, but if attacked, end it decisively." I refer you to the Mos Eisly bar. Obi-Wan made every attempt at stopping the brawl.

Anyone can wield a sabre, but it takes a Jedi's premonition, force-guided coordination, timing and strength to be able to deflect incoming laser blasts, fly ships with uncanny reflexes and generally win the game.

If I developed superhuman powers, I would also try and find a way of controlling it and training it, never letting it control me.
Martial arts are good that way, scratches the rust from the brain.
Form without function is very dangerous.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This religion, you mean?

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're supposed to let the Force flow through you, envelope you and control you, not try to control it. Trying to would make you lose your connection to it.

------------------
I knew a blonde that was so stupid that she studied for a blood test.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's more of a partnership, like Travolta tried to describe in "Phenomenomenomenon". His abilities weren't that different from the force, except for the radical IQ...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lightsaber is used for many things.

1. It is an extension of the Jedi him/herself. Jedi learn that is much more a part of themselves than just a tool.

2. It is also far far more a defensive weapon than for attack. It assists the Jedi in learning to be defensive(as opposed to offensive).

3. It certainly is a tradition, and as you can see, one never knows when you'll need it. It would appear that there is always a Dark Jedi or Sith lurking around over the years.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm dicussion on Jedi religion...

Maybe it just looks cool to have skills with a lightsabre.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Nim
Member # 205

*swipes Matrix with big wet seabass*
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ignites lightspork*

Now THIS! THIS is a weapon!

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*detonates nuclear missile under Omega's chair*

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not quite sure that an ICBM would fit down there, Jeff...

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps