Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Well, I was just wondering. . . (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well, I was just wondering. . .
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . how many Star Destroyer types there are, and what sizes they're guesstimated to be?

*sits back to watch the carnage* 8)

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a triangle one. A bigger triangle one, and a bigger triangle one.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are the old Victory Class Star Destroyers, which have fins on the sides of the ship. The Fins are shaped likea x in the X-Wing games, but are folded into a wedge in WEG and other sources. There's also supposedly 2 variants of Victory Class, a type I and type II.

Then there's the Imperial or Imperator Class Star Destroyer, There are 2 possibly 3 variants of this one. Type I are usually shown with a white engine, such as the Devestator in ANH, but Type II ones have Blue engine exhaust, as in ROTJ. There's also supposedly a Type III with some tiny difference that i can't tell.

Then there's the Super or Executor Class Star Destroyer. Sizes on this vary from source to source. Ranging from 5 miles to a whole lot bigger.

Then there's a Eclipse Class Super Star Destroyer, which is even bigger, don't have the numbers on this one either. This is not in the original trilogy

Then there's a Sovereign Class SuperStar Destroyer from the comics. This one is pretty much supposed to be a slightly scaled down version of the Eclipse.

Then there's supposedly a really old Republic Class Star Destroyer. Don't know exactly what it looks like though.

------------------
"You put the geeks on the left and the stalkers on the right and you run for daylight up the middle"
- William Shatner, discussing a Star Trek Convention on EW-

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited March 24, 2001).]

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some more ISD info http://www.theforce.net/swtc/isd.html

------------------
"You put the geeks on the left and the stalkers on the right and you run for daylight up the middle"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I usually go with the Tech-Comments as well. The eclipse is said to be only, like, 8/10's of the Executor, but far wider and deeper, making for much more mass. It's got a small superlaser as well.

Then there's the Sovereign-class. This is my favourite of the postMovies-invented apocrypha-ships. Also has a superlaser mounted along the spine, but looks beter than the Eclipse, IMO.

And we forgot the lovely Interdictor/Immobilizer, with its Gravity Well Projectors. This is my favourite vessel of the original ISDs. Because it's the smallest SD (~600m) it must be so manouverable and fast. It sure was in the games...

There's a Interdictor variant, mentioned in the SWTC up there, that has had the gravity-spheres removed and many gun-towers installed instead. Man I'd like to see a rendering of that...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

hmm, i never really considered the interdictor a star destroyer, just a generic "dagger-shaped" imperial ship. If ALL Dagger shaped ships are "star destroyers" then there's also the Vengeance, Dark Jedi Jerec's ship.

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Interdictors are classified as cruisers, so I don't suppose they'd be Star DESTROYERS.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the design and placement of basic elements is the same as the other designs. It's actually hard to tell them apart when you're in a furball...

Cmptr: Alpha One, disable that interdictor so the freighters can hyperspace to safety!
Me: Allright, allright, I'm working on it! Oh no, it's not this one, it's that other one!
*freighters explode spontaneously*
DAMN! Repeat mission! (Well, this was about six years ago...)

Jerec's ship is also a Sienar Fleet Systems design, yes. And a nice one at that, with a not-so-conventional tower module. Good one, Vannie!

------------------

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

Omega, i wouldn't go by what they call the ships in the SW universe. After all, the Star "Destroyer" should probably be a Battleship or Carrier instead of "Destroyer" judging by the huge size.

------------------

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited March 24, 2001).]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the things I'm trying to get the author of the technical commentaries to look at, but he hasn't replied yet.

I never thought of them as destroyers, as compared to cruisers or frigates or whatnot. I always ALWAYS heard it as "destroyer of stars".

The 18km length of the Executor and her ilk is straight from ILM and the filmed material, as the author of the tech commentaries expounds at length. WEG pulled the 8km figure out of their ass.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Nim
Member # 205

I rewatched "TESB" a week ago, was astonished at how many scenes with the Executor they actually showed! I was very happy!
There were so many scenes, the Hoth, the asteroid field, Bespin... No wonder, it probably cost them to build the damn thing, Lucas prolly thought "Now we must use it as much as we can, damnit!"

And Lando calls her "Star destroyer" when warning the crew as they leave Bespin, so it's safe to say that the name is conceived for dramatic effect, not for being a small ship between a corvette and a frigate.

------------------

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought of it as small, medium, large, and super-sized varities.

------------------
I knew a blonde that was so stupid that she studied for a blood test.

Nim
Member # 205

That's actually a good and accesible classification-sys for laymen. Never thought aboot it...

------------------

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also the MacDonald's French fry varieties.

------------------
I knew a blonde that was so stupid that she studied for a blood test.

Nim
Member # 205

Well they are look like pie slices. To us.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps