Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » I'm not asking, I'm telling you

Author Topic: I'm not asking, I'm telling you
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's something rotten in Denmark!

I just looked at the "Death Star�" schematics and noted two things:

1 - It's sweet.

2 - It's levels/stories are arranged as a starship or a building, ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER, instead of the way of the onion!!

I can understand if a borg sphere would arrange its levels like that, but with such an extremely sophisticated and incredibly large form like the Death Star, generating gravity of its own, one must wonder why the hell they didn't build the levels composing it like layers on an onion or planets.

It's one thing putting gravity in a spaceship where there previously was none (Zero-G), but counteracting a whole artificial moon's inherent gravity and changing its centre to one of the poles, thats Krey-Z!!!!

And putting the centre of gravity in the south pole wouldn't be enough; the guys at the equator wouldn't be drawn down but south-east/west!!! The ultimate helter-skelter!!!

In order to pull this off they had to either 1:

Create an illusional disc of gravity (same width as its equator) in space, just below the south pole

Or 2:

they would have to somehow create separate gravity fields in EVERY AND ALL FLOORS!!! And what would happen if you climbed through the floor? Terminal radiation?

Gentlemen, get your bats and mouthguards!

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think it would be a mix. I think that schematic is wrong, though.

In ROTJ, the Emperor's throne room is in a large tower extending off the Death Star's surface. Obviously, this would hint that the Death Star IS set up like an onion.

However, also in ROTJ and SW:ANH, the hangerbays are set up as decks stacked atop of each other. It would've made more sense if the entry-ways to the hangers were in the perspective "ceiling" as it were.

So, I believe the Death Star is a combination of BOTH.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm.

You wanna POST that schematic?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that'll break the server in two.

Aah, what the hell.
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/youaskedforit.jpg

Prepare for some side-scrolling.
I didn't want to resize it smaller, the picture would be so messed up.

------------------

thespaceboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Dr. Curtis Saxton's Star Wars Technical Commentaries http://www.theforce.net/swtc/

Death Stars; Symmetry and gravity. http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ds.html#symmetry

quote:
One of the brilliant points of Starlog's STAR WARS Technical Journal was the examination of the internal symmetry of the Death Stars. The structural symmetry reflects the local orientation of artificial gravity within particular parts of the battle station.

Over most of the outer surface the gravity is directed towards the core, just like that of a natural planet. The decks are oriented accordingly and the surface is festooned with turbolaser towers and skyscrapers of various kinds, like part of a city. This arrangement caters for the psychological comfort of the crew, as humans have evolved as planet-bound beings.

An exception to this symmetry exists in the equatorial waistband trench. There the gravity is directed parallel to the rotational axis of the sphere so that one hemisphere is "up" and the other is "down". This arrangement seems designed to facilitate the takeoff and landing of starships. A pilot faces his ship directly into the docking bay, moving "horizontally" in the local gravitational frame. Presumably this is much easier than the alternative "vertical" ascent/descent experienced in a planet-like gravitational field.

This planar, axisymmetric layout seems to prevail throughout most of the volume of the Death Star. The exposed interior of the Death Star II showed a distinctive planar cylindrical grain. If the decks and mechanisms of this region had a planet-like gravity then we would expect layering in spherical shells instead. In fact the region of spherical symmetry seems only to involve the outermost skin of the station.

Crossing the interface between regions of different gravity could be discomforting for the crew. The interfaces are never shown on film, but they might be similar to the access tube leading to the laser cannon stations of the Millennium Falcon, where the gunner climbs through regions of mutually-perpendicular gravity by clinging to a ladder. Perhaps regions of different gravity in the Death Star are unconnected and self-contained, preventing the disorientation problems altogether. Perhaps there are corridors which curve around gently, with the direction of gravity varying smoothly from one region to the other. Perhaps the adjustment is made via a ride in a turbolift. Turbolifts are already likely to have their own inertial dampers and self-contained artificial gravity systems for the comfort and safety of occupants.

Hope this helps

-The SpaceBoy

IP: Logged
Nim
Member # 205

Yes, great! I have seen his website, I just wonder if his observations always are considered canon - he does usually take all information as fact, even the smallest comic book. But I guess this is the closest we'll get.

So long, sweet thread... *sniff*

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps