Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » TPM differences between film and VHS?

Author Topic: TPM differences between film and VHS?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, atm on Australian PayTV they are showing all 4 Star Wars movies... I saw TPM again the other night.

Then I was just reading this page:
http://www.eeggs.com/items/1040.html

Anyway - It confirmed what I was suspecting that there were differences between the VHS/TV versions of TPM and the theatrical release. I'm sure I saw some different things to what I saw on TV the other night.

I'm sure the 'droid' scene on top of the Queen's ship was longer at the movies.

Also, I thought that in that scene when Qui-Gon mentioned that Ani was now free, and Shmi says now he can fulfill his destiny... and Ani goes "Can I gooo mum!" I'm sure he added on a "plllleasssssse!" at the end of that? No.

Andrew

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can remember a please as well.

TV stations have been known to cut movies to fit a certain time slot. In the Netherlands I've seen it happen lots of times, especially 'Star Trek: First Contact' missed a lot of the small details.

------------------
"I don't poke my head into business world too much. All I care about is making the show. And naked stuff."

- Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone verify with the VHS release? Did Ani go "pleeeeeeease!"!?!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do that to alot of movies. I'm not sure why though.

------------------

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i seem to remember Jar Jar knocking over a droid in the droid bay. that wasn't in the vhs copy. i believe it was a red one.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it also looked suspicously like the one that Owen Lars bought in ANH. you know, the one that blew a motivator.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sky Premier have been showing all 4 films. Repeatedly. Over and over again. In production order. And in story order. Then by themselves. Again. And again.

I haven't noticed any clips, but I've not actually seen the VHS copy of TPM. The other films are the same as the special edition VHS releases.

The red R2 unit (which is an R5 officially. Silly Owen and Luke, not knowing), got blown off the top of the ship while they were escaping from Naboo, so it couldn't have been there for Jar Jar to knock over. Unless...it's God!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or unless it was a different R-5 unit. There are lots of them, you know.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that pisses me off on this DVD is the cuts in the final lightsaber battle. I rememeber in the theatre that towards the climax of their epic saber-fight, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul are separated by one of those laser doors (What those things are I'll never understand). IIRC, Qui-Gon sits and begins to meditate while Maul is pacing back and forth like a caged animal. It is very tense, but Qui-Gon is centered. Obi-Wan is all distressed as could be expected. Then the doors open, and Qui-Gon leaps up with his light-sabre on and the battle continues. On the DVD the whole meditation thing never happened... I thought this illustrated the differences in their natures wonderfully, and I was pretty upset that it wasn't in there. I'd have to say that was one of my favorite things from the movie. (Well that and Jar-Jar. He is so funny. Silly clumsy Gungan.)

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps