Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Telepathy... Jedi?

Author Topic: Telepathy... Jedi?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Phantom Menace, there are a few moments there where Mace Windu and Yoda are looking at each other reguarding Anikan, are these just thoughtful looks or could they be telepathically communicating with one another as the other Jedi mentioned telepathy before revealing that Ani was missing his Mother.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, they could have, regarding Anakin, of course.
But if it was to be true, they should've made it more obvious, if they want to take advantage of it in the next movies. And as they never did it in the first three, so I think it was just a coincidence.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think that the Jedi can certainly communicate at least feelings to each other telepathically through the Force. I'm not sure that whether or not that's what they were doing in that specific scene is all that important. They were obviously just agreeing on something whether it was being done by telepathy or simply by body language/ facial expressions. Jedi communication probably wraps those things as well as a level of empathic awareness all up into one.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe you said facial.
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say in that scene that they were just using eye contact etc. But I'd say that some form of telepathy is possible. If they can sense the world around them through the Force they should be able to sense each other, and possibly each others feelings.

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through the Force, all things are connected...

Why not have some sort of telepathic communication? In Empire Strikes Back, Luke himself called to his sister, and Vader to his son.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a somewhat related topic, look at the scene in TPM where Maul and Qui-Gon fight for the last time.

At one point there's a break in the action. Qui-Gon pulls back and looks confused. Maul Snarls and furrows his brow. They start fighting again. Then Obi-Wan (from behind the force field) looks like he's suddenly realized something. Then Qui-Gon gets it in the gut.

I've always interpreted that scene this way: Qui-Gon was trying to see what Maul was planning on doing but couldn't because Maul was blocking him from reading his thoughts. We know that the Force helps Jedi anticipate attacks. Obi-Wan, however, realized what Maul was planning on doing but too late to warn his master.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... very observant. I went to the film 4 times, and saw it once or twice on video, and I noticed those facial expressions, but never interpreted it that way. Wonder what Lucas would have to say about it.

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

Nim
Member # 205

What a terrible insight. He acted it out well, Ewan did.

About the telepathy, Vader did sense Luke's thinking of a...Sisster.

On the other hand, Luke is probably the poorest jedi disciple to date, with the most volatile feelings and least amount of training.
Therefore, it probably wasn't hard for a Dark Lord of the Sith to wrangle that piece of information from him...

If a Jedi wanted to convey something to another jedi he would simply lower his mental guard and the info would be accessible to the other jedi. One could probably choose with whom to share as well, in a room of eavesdroppers.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*waves hand* This is not the telepathy you're looking for...

------------------
Lister: "Drop dead, Rimmer."
Rimmer: "Already have done."
Lister: "Encore."
-Red Dwarf, "Kryten"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible but not probably they were telepathically communicating. Why would they need to?

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps