Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars Tech-heads! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Wars Tech-heads!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! I went to a SW Tech site that was mentioned in another thread here. I visited the bit on light sabres... OMG - don't fear people Trek nerds are NO WHERE near as ANAL about Tech than SW Tech-heads! OMG! Its scary. They blame the idea that there is more than 3 colours of sabres on trek!!

I for one have ALWAYS loved the idea that there are a multitude of colours for sabres.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, blue, green and red sabres would've made it easier. As I understand it, real laser light have limited spectrums, I've only heard of blue and red lasers in optical communication devices.

How does it involve Trek?? I wanna hear!

And if you're gonna blasphemize, at least do it properly.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cause Trek is the evil bastard?

------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod, lightsabres are not optical phenomena -- that is, they are not lasers nor laser-based.

Technogeek in residence...
--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know that (I had a feeling someone would bite on that). Observe that I said REAL laser light.

But since there are only theories as to how the fields and emitters are actually constructed, people often associate light sabres to the other energy weapons of SW (blasters, ion cannons, ship lasers) since they present just those three colours.
Red rebel lasers, green TIE lasers and blue ion cannon discharges.

But if a purple or yellow sabre would surface in the next two eps I wouldn't mind, I just don't think it's needed.

------------------

Samuel Hoffenstein

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited May 21, 2001).]

Nim
Member # 205

And yes, I know that not even the lasers are lasers, just heated plasma, otherwise they would reach their targets instantly, yaddah-yaddah....

I'm more interested in what AndrewR had to say about the Trek-theories and ditto accusations from those supposed SW-tech heads he encountered.

------------------

Samuel Hoffenstein

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited May 21, 2001).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, basically they blamed the whole idea of different colours and the crystal emitters that produce these colours because of some "trek-no-babble" explanation...

OK, let me get the real quote - it puts it in perspective...

Maybe they just used the term as a general term - i.e. treknobabbly but here is the quote:

quote:
Persistent apocryphal material insists that sabre blades can be
almost ANY colour (as determined by some stupid, treknobabble mystic JEWEL!)

"stupid treknobabble" - they could have said some stupid rumour or stupid technobabble...

anyway - its interesting here is the site:

well the actual page - this page is pretty 'far in'
http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres2i.htm

Actually they mention there that Sabres were originally supposed to be pearlescent white... While watching the redone ANH the otherday, If you notice Luke's/Annakin's sabre that Kenobi gave to Luke was white... I looked for a tint of blue but there was none. It is only in TESB that we get to see it as a full on Blue colour... I assume that maybe it was originally white - and that luke teaked it to give it the blue colour...

That Jedi master Kai Alli or what ever has a RED sabre - so I guess that it's not the domain of the Sith. I guess, we just haven't seen enough Light Sabres.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Ki-Adi Mundi's sabre have never been seen, nor have any of the others in the Jedi council. Just in comic books and fabricated pictures of the blades from "Episode I: Illustrated guide" with added blades.

There are rumours of Adi Gallia having a red sabre but it hasn't been proven either. They are just that, rumours.

The "treknobabble" reference was probably not implying Trek, but the idea of two or three crystals focusing the beam that makes the blade is in fact non-canon.

------------------

Samuel Hoffenstein

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. Trekno-babble, I think is just refering to made up technology reasons in general.

There are basically two schools of thought on the lightsaber colors:

A) they are determined by the kind of crystals used to focus the blades.

B) they are determined by the "force status" of the user. red=evil, green=on the fence, blue=good boy.

My vote is for the crystal explanation...

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C) None of the above.

First off, the use of the word "treknobabble" in that context meant using quasi-magical, poorly-thought-out semi-technichal-sounding explanations for how something works.

Second, Nimrod: I know you were trolling (in the fishing sense - don't hit me) with that lasers comment. I just couldn't resist. And the three predominant colors for real lasers that I know of are red (ruby), blue-green (Helium-Neon), and clear/white/whatever (Carbon Dioxide).

If alla you read to the end of the lightsabre stuff (particularly the "How Does it Work?" section), I favor Model 6.

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Nim
Member # 205

Nah, not trolling, I just left it open.
I agree, the model six is the most thorough.

Finally he's started updating! He'll have a field day (month more likely) with Episode II, it's said to have many sabre goodies in store for us.

------------------

Samuel Hoffenstein

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Yeah. If I'm feeling generous, I'll post pics or links to pics of the sabres I created for me and my fiancee. Mine has a longer than average pale yellow blade. She's still undecided about the color of hers, but the haft is sweet...

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

On that page there was mention of the original ideas for Sabre colours as being pearlescent white... has anyone noticed Luke's Sabre that was given to him by his father - through Obi Wan - looks white through most of ANH... its only in TESB that it's clearly blue!?!

My brother told me that in his Playstation?? game JediKnight?? That it has Ki-Adi-Mundi and Kai Allia or what ever their names are and Mace Windu's light sabre colours and that they seem to match what is seen in those comic books and figurines someone SOMEWHERE between these different 'companies' must be telling them what colours to make what light sabre... they seem to be constant amongst different products.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

I'll give you something to ponder, but I'll make a separate thread for it, since it spans more areas than sabre colour.

------------------

Samuel Hoffenstein

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about he Gem in the saber is in nearly all the books. "I Jedi, They new one about Anakin Skywalker going to save his girlfriend. The son of Han and leia, i get him and young vader mixed up sometimes. in I Jedi, corran Horn put a diamond in his saber to give it a shimmering effect. but it was a fake one so it fried. i also wanna see what those fighters looked like. the "clutch" and don't say anything about "non-canon, CAUSE I DON"T WANNA HEAR IT!!!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps