Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars Episode VII (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with MeGotBeer. CGI character will never truly replace actors. And if they do that will be a sad day in hollywood.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.echostation.com/comics/manga.htm

I found some manga pics of a japanese star wars comic series. the ships look pretty cool. and chewie looks real scary. and obi wan looks like a super samurai avenger. doesn't look like Alec G. though.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when those came out. My friend was telling me about them, and he did a piss-poor job cause I thought he was saying that the Japanese were releasing an animated remake of "Star Wars" ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO. I love reading what people who know shit about CGI think about it, i really do.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Da_bang80: "doesn't look like Alec G. though."

Vader: Your failure is complete. I will destroy you now...
Alec G: Is it because I is black?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I love reading what people who know shit about CGI think about it, i really do.

Well. Please ... elaborate on that.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...you know more things than we do about CGI, huh Wes? This should be interesting...
"Pop quiz, hot shot!"
Seriously, I think people would go see Star Wars if they added one more TIE fighter in the battle scenes. Or one more stormtrooper. You see, it's very popular. If he released Phantom Menace into theaters again, then ANH, then ESB, then RotJ, think of the box-office business.
Titanic, look out!

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok. I was a bit angered, sorry, i know you people probably know more then the average Joe.

I’ve practically spent my life preparing for a life in the professional visual effects business... so its sort of my area. (and it saddens me to see people have no faith in CG)

Anyway, I don’t think all-CG movies should replace real movies, but there will be a point were cg can compare to photorealism. We are closer now (Final Fantasy was breathtaking) then we ever were. We already can composite perfectly, (i bet there are scenes in movies with CG elements that you didn’t even know were fake...) and i'm pretty damn sure most of the environments in FF were completely photorealistic. Its CG humans that we need to work on. Human figures are the hardest thing to get looking realistic. That’s what threw a lot of people off in FF, the characters at times didn’t seem all that realistic (I even noticed some clipping errors one of the many times I saw it).

CG movies will be a factor in our future, they wont replace real actors, but I'm betting we will see more and more of higher quality released. Personally, I think some of the best visual effects comes from Sony Imageworks.

Contact is an incredible example.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I liked "Contact," too. Good visuals, good story.

--------------------
Meh

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I think it's pretty much inevitable that there will be CG characters who look so much like people on screen that it will be very hard to tell. It's a ways off yet. As for a CG Ep7, I wouldn't rule it out. In like fifteen years, maybe the technology would be there, and maybe Lucas will have squandered his fortune on the construction of a 1/3 size recreation of an orbiting death star as a Star Wars themed amusment park. Maybe he'll need the cash and make three more pictures with some breathtaking new technology...

But I think PsyLiam is right he's gonna milk all the DVD money out of us he can first. (as it is, I've spent a little over $200 on the various releases of the Laser Discs)

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Wes
Member # 212

George Lucas said, after being asked if he thinks CG will replace human characters, he said he'd never think of doing that.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Balaam, I know the feeling. Damn laserdiscs.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

And DVX! Who here bought DVX? Suckers!
Actually, laser discs were the best things to have until DVDs came out in '97.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read, at current rates we're 10 years away from computer graphics being photorealistic. And that means not pre-rendered photorealism. Granted, that may not apply to humans, but if everything else will look 100% life like when generated on the fly, surely pre-rendered human looking characters would be possible.

Which reminds me, I really need to replace my TNT 2...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the 3dmark 2001 benchmark had a scene of a meadow that'd looked pretty photo-realistic.i don't think it'll take 10 years for computers to make photo-realistic images. at the rate that computer components are being developed, it could be half that.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps