Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Food Rations? Thermal Detenator? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Food Rations? Thermal Detenator?
Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey does anybody know what are those cylinders behind the Stormtroopers battle gear? Sry but I don't have a pic. see 4 urself

Blair

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we know that one contains a line and grapple hook (useful considering the Empire cut death star construction costs by eliminating handrails over bottomless pits.

Another pouch doubtlessly contains their trifocals that they need to be able to hit a fucking 7' tall hairy alien that's yelling.... [Roll Eyes]
Mabye Stormtroopers are clones of Mr. Magoo...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the boxy thing and the vaguely cylindrical shapes molded into the plastic, er, I mean, plasteel, of their armor were emergency oxygen tanks and an atmospheric scrubber for use in the case of Rapid Environmental Degredation.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see 4 urself
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stuff they'd actually need while on duty aboard the Death Star:
Battery or powersource for the com link in the helmet.
Access cards for their assigned areas.
Something to pry off the codpiece when they have to pee.
Fruit Roll-Ups
Script for tough to remember lines like "Hey!" and "Over here!" and the classic "Stop, you!".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I'm having a hard time making the leap from efficient, well trained soldiers to idiots who talk about the new hovercraft that was just released while on guard duty. Doesn't really work. Of course, by the time Episode 4 rolls around, they're probably not all clones anymore.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they're all clones. Since clones would be the same height, yes,no?

And in episode 4 we see one stormtrooper bump his head on the top of the doorway when they enter the room where R2 and 3PO are hiding.

Which brings me to another point. Stormtroopers are dumb. But of course we all knew that! [Razz]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

...and, as Luke pointed out "I can't see a thing in this helmet!"
When I was a kid I had a Don Post Stormtrooper mask (for a halloween costume that just never came together, but I digress)and it had no peripherial vision nor could you see anything in front you you closer than two feet.
I know they're supposed to invoke skeletons in their appearance but the armor's design is pretty poor.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah, since it doesn't actually block anything...
Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thermal Detonator has been the official identification, but originally they were Lightsabres. Perhaps after the Stormtroopers proved incompetent with Lightsabres (and were reduced to using ramdom and clumsy blasters) and handed in their big white shields, the Empire retro-fitted the Lightsabres into Thermal Detonators. Even without the retrofitting, Fascist Tyrants would like the idea of a nice big bomb on the back of every soldier: just get close to your enemy forces, then remote detonate the devices!

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
And in episode 4 we see one stormtrooper bump his head on the top of the doorway when they enter the room where R2 and 3PO are hiding.

That's one of my favorite bloopers of that movie. But it's not because the guy was too tall -- it's because he didn't duck!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we talking about this:
 -

I can't believe the 5 seconds it took me to find this on google.

Too big to be a lightsaber, also a fairly stupid place to keep it stowed. Looks like a vacuum powered poop collector to me.

As for the head bumping incedent, there's an homage to that scene in Ep 2 when Jango is boarding Slave 1 after his scuffle with ObiWan. You can hear a clunk as he enters the ship and his head defnitely hits the top of the door.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's NOT a Thermal Detonator.
It's a fucking parachute for all those narrow handrail-less bridges spanning 1000 foot deep chasms in the Death Star.
Somebody got tired of the stink of decomposing stormtroopers at the bottom of all those pits.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

It's a deadman switch that vaporizes their bodies after the fall. They call it the NeatCorpse Pro (R). It's behind them so they can't accidently activate it while screwing around. Cause they're dumb.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The typical german Wehrmacht soldier has the same item, Lucas must've been inspired by that.
You know, that rifled, green, cylinder seen in ze movies.
It's just a container for misc. goodies, to stow magazines, gloves, or like in this picture, a gasmask.

Putting thermal detonators in every Stormtrooper cylinder everywhere in the galaxy would be a tremendous waste of detonators, given the widespread use of 'troopers and the narrow mission envelope of the detonators.

As for rations in the 'trooper cylinder, I think a private nibbling on protein sticks under the helmet on duty would be shot without trial, for negligence. :-)

About the stormtroopers being clones, the whole debate is pretty much moot considering many of the officers out of armor, like in the Death Star prison complex, are former 'troopers given promotions.
Since that is canon last I heard, the clones can't be.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps