Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Episode I on VHS

Author Topic: Episode I on VHS
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fox Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm have officially announced the April 4th VHS release of Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace.

The video will be released around the world, though not in France, during that week of April 3rd through 8th, however, the announcement also said the film will not be "...released on the DVD format in 2000 or for the foreseeable future." There will be a pan-and-scan video ($24.98), a widescreen video, and a Widescreen Collector's Edition ($39.98) which comes with a new
behind-the-scenes documentary, five consecutive film frames from an actual print, and a special 48-page book excerpted from THE ART OF EPISODE I.
www.starwars.com/episode-i/news/2000/01/news3a.html

Source: ZENtertainment.com

------------------
Calvin: "You don't think humans evolved from monkeys?"
Hobbes: "I sure don't see any difference."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited January 10, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not releasing it on DVD is one of the more braindead moves they've made recently.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas apparently is against DVDs,have any of his movies been released on DVD? Is ET on DVD? IF not, I am wondering if he knows something we don't?

-FTM

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

Grand Admiral Reese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas isn't going to release Star Wars on DVD until 2005 or so, when all of the movies are done. I don't think that Lucas is against DVDs themselves, but he is waiting for a new DVD format, designed for HDTV to come out, and that won't be for a few years, I think.
IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas said that he wants to release all the movies on DVD together, but in a recent radio review he didn't sound too sure of himself.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but nobody answered my question, are any Lucas movies on DVD? Is Willow on DVD, is ET on DVD?

-FTM

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so. But then we're not exactly talking about a huge list either. And Indy's not coming out for a while at least, due to Spielberg acting like a spoiled-child who chose the wrong party to go to.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this horrible fear that the real reason Star Wars isn't going to be released on DVD for awhile is because Lucas wants to release an Episode I "special edition" and put that on DVD. Just what the movie needs, more SFX.

------------------
--
R.E.M.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it'll be a "mundane edition", with less special effects and more dialogue. That isn't crap.

Wouldn't that be nice?

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From talking to more knowledgable sources than myself, I have found the following:

Back when Eps 4-6 were realeased, they were rushed to video in an effort to launch the media. Lucas didn't want them on video yet for whatever reason. However, now that he has more power to control what happens with his creation, he is not going to let himself be used as a tool to promote the DVD media.

Sounds a little selfish but I suppose I can understand his reluctance.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I'm sorry, but I can't believe any of that. Lucas has Old Testament levels of control over his franchise. If he didn't want videos released, there wouldn't have been videos released.

------------------
--
R.E.M.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the classic rock-and-hard-place. Release the films now or wait. It's like not spoiling your dinner with candy!

------------------
Somehow we're going somewhere.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: I'm not so sure about that...I've heard that, for example, other people involved with Empire Strikes Back changed the script a bit and so on, even though Lucas wasn't really happy with that.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

Gepta001
Member # 231

well you guys have heard of the "special" special edition rumours havn't you? If not I can provide a link to a nice site all about it.

------------------
"I'm not feeling alright today, I'm not feeling that great"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps