Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Who's the coolest Jedi out of the 4 films so far? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who's the coolest Jedi out of the 4 films so far?
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the way I see it, you got the obvious candidates, the usual suspects, as it were.
Yoda, we hear Obe Wan and Qui Gonn talking about his high midiclorien count.
Obe Wan, Alec Guinness & Ewan portray different aspects of a shrewd Jedi warrior.
Luke, what can I say, he beats Darth Vader!
Qui-Gonn, looks the part.

------------------
Try not.
Do.
Or Do not.
There is no try.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yoda. Hands down.

------------------
"If a nail is driven into the wrong place, it would be foolish indeed to become angry with the hammer." - Old Russian Proverb

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say the young (or old, doesn't matter that much) Obi-Wan.

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited March 14, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jedi Jar Jar

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Darth Maul is the best swordsman of'em all, but I'd have to go with Qui-Gon Jinn. He's the most well-balanced Jedi IIO. Yoda is a great master, true, but a little bit too inanimate for me.

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know anything about Episode II yet?

------------------
Try not.
Do.
Or Do not.
There is no try.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard they are going to have the mandalorian super-commandos, the ones Boba Fett got his battle armor from.

------------------

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yoda.

------------------
Admin at the trekbbs.com

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that there will be the start of the clone wars - and that there will be lots of jedi with all different kinds and colours of light-weapons.

------------------
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lightweapons? Hmm...

"Your lightsaber is no match for my lightaxe!"

"Yes, but your lightaxe is no match for my lightM1A1."

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well either Darth Maul had a double light-saber - or he had a light-quarter staff... looked like a quarter-staff...

hey - how about those ferengi whips!

------------------

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The questions requires you to fill in the blanks of what the "best" comprises. For sheer fighting ability, I would say it's too close to call between Darth Maul and Qui-Gon Jinn. Granted, one was beat by the other, but I'm not prepared to say the same would result in best of three matches.

Yoda is certainly the Zen philosopher of the movies. Simplicity and lack of rational-conscious intercourse is his hallmark. I've often wondered if there really are different kinds of Jedi (e.g. Knights, Philospohers, Scientists, Healers, Diplomats/Negotiators, Teachers). Senator/Emperor Palpatine is also quite a master at the philosophy of Dark Side Force dynaimcs (albeit, he is never in control completely of it as seen in the novels and trade-paperbacks after the first triology). Luke later in life also gains a strong degree of knowledge and understanding of both sides of the Force (and seems more proficient than any other Jedi seen in the movies or novels at imparting knowledge to young Jedi).

Obi-Wan Kenobi certainly has it down on the characer development. We see him go from undisciplined youth to an extremely capable philosopher/warrior.

Overall, given the inevitable choice between choosing the "best" in terms of fighting skill and pure-Force dynamics proficiency, Qui-Gon Jinn is the most balanced of those seen so far. However, much remains to be seen. Only time will tell.

One other thing. The light-weapons I have wondered about since I was a young boy. Before the prequels I often imagined that, given the choice, I would choose a weapon very similar to what Darth Maul used (I would have liked to have seen some kind of protection around the hilt that would allow it to block saber strikes). Another weapon I often thought might be effective would be "light-claws" similar to those used by the characer seen in the Batman comics, Azrael.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Nim
Member # 205

...the only drawbacks of the light-staff being that you can't grab it by the ends and that your adversary could hit the tip forcing the rear end into your side or legs. But none of that counts if you are a master of Maul's calibre!

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to do an illustration of Yoda as a young man (or whatever) standing with another Jedi holding his little lightsabre. Wouldn't that be cool? He's just at the start of his career and he has yet to become the wisened philosopher we know.

Now who can I get to pose for Yoda...?

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Our Prime Minister - John Howard

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps