Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet Operations / Departments (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starfleet Operations / Departments
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure where to put this thread, maybe Designs and Creativity? But this is not a starship design, etc. but a discussion on the hierarchical relationships of Starfleet departments, offices and agencies.

This is a Flow Chart Diagram to illustrate a plausible picture of how Starfleet is organised:

http://www.trekmania.net/diplomatic/sf_flowchart.jpg

It isn't entirely finished, it's an Alpha version for now, and I haven't put all the departments in little boxes yet... The image comes from this page on The Federation:

http://www.trekmania.net/diplomatic/federation.htm

The idea was inspired by Lance Nutter (www.thetrkker.org) who had entered into a similar endeavour.

A lot of this is speculative, obviously, as there are gaps and uncertainties, which I've attempted to fill in by studying traditional Naval department relationships. I've also included all the known/established departments that I personally know of, some may sound obscure like the Starfleet Regulatory Agency, but they for example exist - they're health and safety people and are mentioned in the TNG Tech Manual, and there are other such examples in the chart besides...

Thoughts...?

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think I would try to stay out of the Delta Fighter Wing in fleets 1-10... The very bottom of the hierarchy... [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking this is more general, and not technical. *move*
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Section 31 probably shouldn't be in this chart. IIRC, they answered to no-one, and the ordinary Intelligence guys probably know nothing about them.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. And most of those engineering groups, like ASDB or Yoyodyne, probably wouldn't feature quite that prominently in the organization chart - for all we know, they are purely civilian organizations with just a business association with Starfleet.

And if we want to imply that Starfleet Medical Academy is subjugate to Starfleet Medical Division and not just part of Starfleet Academy, then there probably should be a SF Engineering Academy and a SF Security Academy similarly listed. And perhaps several varieties of SF Science Academies, too. (Have we ever heard of a SF Medical Academy canonically?)

Yard functions might be separate from Starbase operations, too: there could be yards without starbases and starbases without yards, and a definite need for separate operating organizations.

Timo Saloniemi

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions, I've since updated it with a slighty better chart, with boxes:

http://www.trekmania.net/diplomatic/sf_flowchart1.jpg

Yes, we have heard of the Medical Academy, as for others, I think there are indeed a number of other establishments, such as The Daystrom Institute, but would they come under the wing of Starfleet? I don't know, but I plan to continuingly revise the chart..

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall ever hearing of a Medical Academy. Usually, when Bashir's education was being discussed, they said "Starfleet Medical"

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work, however I think you should make it clear which era this chart is supposed to represent since I seriously doubt that UESPA is still around in the 24th century or that Galaxy wings were around before the mid 24th century.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the Twelfth Fleet was all but destroyed, but surely it would be rebuilt in time and therefore should be included with Eleven also?

Otherwise - very good work. [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Perhaps you're right, The Tom, perhaps, Starfleet Medical is the Medical Academy. I can't find a mention of it either, but I was sure I have heard a reference to this. Maybe I'm wrong.

The chart is not meant to be an LCARS screen or anything, hence there's no reason to omit sensitive departments like Section 31, and it's not intended to reflect any era, but I suspect it has more in common with the 24th century.

UESPA Reverend? Just speculative. I'd like to think they are still around in some capacity. I hypothesised here that they are responsible for deep space surveyance probes and the like...

akb1979, I don't recall a 12th or 11th fleet, and they're not mentioned in the Encyclopia, when the others are...

--------------------

The ASDB

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the suggestion was to remove Section 31 because it wouldn't be on an official chart. I think the problem is that you show them as a division of SF Intel. If you're going to include them, they should be in a box all by themselves, connected to nothing.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

I actually deliberately put Section 31 to the side of Starfleet Intel, rather than beneath it, hence suggesting it was one of their departments. Perhaps that is a good idea though, to put them completely by themselves somewhere...

--------------------

The ASDB

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fleets are not always numbered sequentially. We may have the 1st, 3rd, 7th, 8th, 9th, 72nd, & 104th.

Things like Yoyodyne & your "Blue Star Engineering" are private contractor firms like Electric Boat or Bath Iron works & are therefore noninclusive.

A "Galaxy wing" is probably not a "real" term. There are no organizational squadrons for carriers like there are for destroyers (DESRONs) & subs (SUBRONs).

As outdated as many may think it is, FJ did actually do a pretty fair job in his organizational flowchart. Another place to look is the USN organizational chart.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet Medical Academy is canonically referred to. I believe it's "The Alternate", though I'm not concrete on the episode title.

In the episode where the El-Aurian guest star mucks up the Laws of Propability. Bashir and O'Brien take part in rousing games of space raquetball. Bashir mentions in the early part of the episode that he kicked the crap out of everybody at the Starfleet Medical Academy and whatnot. Watched it this morning.

Now I also remember him referring to the medical instutition in which he studied as Starfleet Medical, which must then be the same thing, though I have no episodes readily available to confirm this.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to get nitpicky, because your thread has intrigued me, but most of my nitpicks have already been put forward. But, anyway, mostly I'm curious about sources. Have we actually heard of a Security Council? Or Joint Chiefs? I don't recall the former, and I'm rather sure the latter has never been used. I think.

Why is Starfleet's version of OSHA in charge of the Judge Advocate General's office? And wouldn't colonial administration be a civilian affair?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps