Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Project Wildfire (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Project Wildfire
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not terribly experienced at doing LCARS screens so I'm afraid this one isn't particularly good. But I needed the practice so here it is anyway.

Wildfire Transmission

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Spelling errors, though. I nknow, I know...it's a graphical thing intended to test an idea. But spelling errors!

Nice usage of the Hauck.

"P.W." Shelby? Does it stand for Pee Wee?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite nice. Isn't Project Wildfire the codename for the secret lab in The Andromeda Strain?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool design there.

Uh, wasn't Shelby's first name Elizabeth? And I mean established in BOBW, not the "New Frontier" novels I've never bothered to touch. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very kewel, Kris! Lots of kewel in-jokes in that one. Interesting ideas for weapons in that Systems Summary list, too. "Zero Pointe Vacume Warhead"? I like the sound of that one. [Big Grin]

The diagram of the "weapon" things for Saratoga from "Emissary" is very kewel. Wish I could make out the text! I also think that the last weapon on the Systems Summary list is a nice touch. Wonder what woulda happened if they'd used THAT! [Eek!]

"Siegfried", Project: Wildfire was indeed from "The Andromeda Strain".

"MinutiaeMan", Shelby's first name is given as Elizabeth, so maybe this is another "CMDR Shelby". [Wink]

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Zero Point Vacuum Warhead" seems like the definition for what a Quantum Torpedo is...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ADN 1T I5 TEH STRONGE5T VV3Ap0n EVAR!!!1!!!!! I LUV PEOPLE TAHT TALK AB0u7 I7 @!! TEH 0nlY W4Y 2 MAK3 I7 BETTAR i5 2 MAK3 i7 M3T4PH451C!!!1!!!!||1!!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The diagram of the "weapon" things for Saratoga from "Emissary" is very kewel. Wish I could make out the text!
You're not missing out on anything, it's just numerical jibberish.

quote:
I also think that the last weapon on the Systems Summary list is a nice touch. Wonder what woulda happened if they'd used THAT!
The Wolf system would have a new, very small and very unstable planetoid I'd imagine.

quote:
Project: Wildfire was indeed from "The Andromeda Strain".
I wouldn't know since I stole it from one of the Red Dwarf novels. [Wink]

quote:
Shelby's first name is given as Elizabeth, so maybe this is another "CMDR Shelby".
No, it's just me trusting gthe Encyclopedia too much.

quote:
"Zero Point Vacuum Warhead" seems like the definition for what a Quantum Torpedo is...
That's the general idea, yes.

quote:
ADN 1T I5 TEH STRONGE5T VV3Ap0n EVAR!!!1!!!!! I LUV PEOPLE TAHT TALK AB0u7 I7 @!! TEH 0nlY W4Y 2 MAK3 I7 BETTAR i5 2 MAK3 i7 M3T4PH451C!!!1!!!!||1!!
Stop that.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

UPDATE

Wildfire Debugged

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Shelby's first name is given as Elizabeth, so maybe this is another "CMDR Shelby".
No, it's just me trusting gthe Encyclopedia too much.
I have a confession to make: I failed to actually check my copy of the Trek Encyclopedia last night. There is no mention of Shelby's first name that i can find in it, just gives her entry as "Shelby, Lieutenant Commander", no other name info givn. Elizabeth Dennehy played the role of Shelby, which is where the first name for the character given in this thread likely comes from. I'm pretty sure that must be where I got it, anyhow. I'll make a point of watching the two-parter BoBW today or tomorrow and see if it actually gives her first name. Kinda doubt it, tho, as the Encyclopedia is usually pretty good about that sort of thing.... [Frown]
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is a nice LCARS Rev. Have you tried using the 'new' colors? (I realize that you are setting the time frame for this one between the BoBW episodes).

I noticed in Nemesis that the LCARS 'buttons' seem to have bevelling - and I thought these might enhance the look even more.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice.

Only quibble is that the DS9 tech manual said that quantum torps were tested in the '50s, so it is possible that there were a few units laying around ready to go.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
it is a nice LCARS Rev. Have you tried using the 'new' colors? (I realize that you are setting the time frame for this one between the BoBW episodes).
As I said I don't do LCARS screens very often so I haven't yet looked at the more recent pallets that they have been using of late.

quote:
noticed in Nemesis that the LCARS 'buttons' seem to have bevelling - and I thought these might enhance the look even more.
I'll probably incorporate that into a civilian data screen that I'm planning on making soon, but as you said this one is specifically dated to the TNG era so I can't very well use the bevelled look here.

quote:
Only quibble is that the DS9 tech manual said that quantum torps were tested in the '50s, so it is possible that there were a few units laying around ready to go.
I know but on that timescale Starfleet should have had some Q-torps ready by BOBW so for this screen I'm saying that the project is still a projected 30 months from completion.

I suppose that I should at least point out that my idea of "Project: Wildfire" is a hastily assembled team charged with finding something, anything that can give the Federation a technological advantage over the Borg.
This includes theoretical physics, acquired ancient technologies and what I have list here which is stalled, half forgotten or pie-in-the-sky weapons systems, some of which may have spent decades in mothballs.
I was going to illustrate some of this in the communication but I edited it out so that I could make the text fit and be legible.
It was something along the lines of;
"Don't ask me what that last item is all about, it was an eleventh hour attachment made by someone on the Federation Security Council. I was told that it was for Captain Riker's eyes only and that I was not to ask any questions, I suggest you do the same."

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Don't ask me what that last item is all about, it was an eleventh hour attachment made by someone on the Federation Security Council. I was told that it was for Captain Riker's eyes only and that I was not to ask any questions, I suggest you do the same."
Ha! That's a good one! You should try to rearrange the LCARS framework a little bit (maybe stretch the whole canvas vertically) so you can fit that in... [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only remaining problem is that the Saratoga's outriggers were specifically stated by Okuda to be sensor booms. That, coupled with the fact that we didn't see them shooting those things at the Borg cube, leads me to believe they're not weapons.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps