Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The John C. Webb Memorial Ideas Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The John C. Webb Memorial Ideas Thread
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I actually dont dee many new headstones around here. A lot of moseleums though.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people might not want a headstone. I personally see it as much more important that there are living relatives and friends to remember you and keep pictures and so on than to have a rock in a field that's rarely visited. It's just my opinion, but it feels like a waste of space - after the first few months, they really are very rarely visited. If ever.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to find my grandmothers grave in India. She died in '61, and for whatever reason the records for the graveyard, which is attached to the small hospital she died in, are long gone.

The headstones were all badly worn, but at least it gave us an idea as to where she was, as we found two identical stones next to eath other, and we knew she was buried next to her mother who died there the year before.

It helped to have something physical there, a solid link to someone I had never met.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do Hindu's inter thier deceased?

Funny. I finally bought a headstone for my Grandmother last year. Though she's been gone since 1989, i still wasn't visiting the correct spot (Lotta trees along the wall, i kept laying model kits & flowers on the wrong spot. Epic Fail, ladies...)

/me respectfully drives the topic off road a moment

My brother's ashes are in his room at home. Dad hasn't... well, done much with them, yet. I know my bro wanted at least some of his ashes put into the flowers that grow around our house. I wonder when i should do this. It's really hard to talk to Dad about this...

anyway. Death is part of the Tree of Life. Pink Floyd coined such dark thoughts well enough. Go Huggle your loved ones... [Frown]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly Hindi cremate the dead. There are alot of rituals involed before and after, and the remains are collected and taken to a river, often the Ganges - considered very sacred (a living incarnation of a goddess), and scattered in the water.

As for my grandmother she was a Christian, which is surprisingly common in India, and is why she was buried.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want one of those crazy wind-sock-man things for my headstone.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking after the Hindi, less waste of space.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten, look into one of those places that will take your ashes and heat and compress them into a synthetic diamond. Takes up even less space, and is pretty, too. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STIll plan on being eaten.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peregrinus, now that is an idea, then my wife can wear me all the time.

Shik, for pleasure?

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As body disposal.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Ritten, look into one of those places that will take your ashes and heat and compress them into a synthetic diamond. Takes up even less space, and is pretty, too. [Smile]

Oooh, I like that.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Well, after I am gone Shik I guess it wouldn't matter much.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find the idea of wearing a dead loved on on a ring disturbing in the extreme. I plan to be cremated (burned on a pyre floating on a lake would be the coolest but that just won't happen), but, if I happen to get rich before I die, I'm rather considering cryogenics. I mean, I'm dead anyway, what have I got to lose by trying?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if I am hated by my family, I will have myself taxadermied, so that they have to look at me forever. Then again, I could get sold at a garage sale. I can see the sign now. Used husband. $25 or best offer.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps