Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bags or Jugs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bags or Jugs?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/760654--so-we-drink-milk-from-bags-does-that-make-us-weird

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's really cute. But I feel uncomfortable around women whose last names I have no idea how to pronounce. Is it "ing"? Or do I have to do some weird thing with the back of my throat?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to wonder at the practicality of storing any liquid in a bag. I mean it's bound to roll off the shelf, no? Or do Canadian fridges come with little hooks to hang the bags? The mind boggles.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the title, I'm stunned that Pensive hasn't posted anything in here yet.

Milk in bags just seems weird to me. But then those little square cartons freaked me out for awhile. I'd be worried about something sharp piercing the bag and it dribbling all over the place. So in the picture she's holding a pitcher. Is the idea, that you buy the bag and get it home and then cut it open and pour it into one of those, or do you keep it in the fridge in the bag? Keep it in the bag in the pitcher? Anyway, Canadians are weird.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you keep the bag in a pitcher. You can buy them at the grocery store right with the milk. Here, we have the option of 1L or 2L cartons, 2L jugs, and the bags. They come 3 in a bigger bag. In my family we used to store the milk bags in one of the fridge's crisper drawers before they were opened and put in the pitcher. To be honest, I'm not quite sure why we made the switch from bags to cartons... might have something to do with a drop in milk intake. *shrug*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug* As the article points out the technology originated in Europe, the UK is switching, and its already in use in China and India. Thus, I think that there are more milk bag users than milk jug users.

I'm kinda surprised that this is an issue.

Also, there are multiple different pronunciations and Romanizations that lead to and from Ng. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ng
You'd probably have to find out what language the name was Romanized from. There is a decent chance that that the sound is one that European languages lack
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velar_nasal

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we should ask Mark Nguyen? [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ng is pronounced as "ing". This is a Chinese name.

Nguyen is pronounced as "nuyen", AFAIK. This is a Vietnamese name so the pronounciation is different.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Saltah'na
Member # 33

quote:
Originally posted by bX:

Milk in bags just seems weird to me. But then those little square cartons freaked me out for awhile. I'd be worried about something sharp piercing the bag and it dribbling all over the place. So in the picture she's holding a pitcher. Is the idea, that you buy the bag and get it home and then cut it open and pour it into one of those, or do you keep it in the fridge in the bag? Keep it in the bag in the pitcher? Anyway, Canadians are weird.

Yes we are. I hope I passed on some of my weirdness to you when I was in SJ back in 2008.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
*shrug* As the article points out the technology originated in Europe, the UK is switching, and its already in use in China and India.
We are are we? News to me mate. Since this is for some reason a point for discussion, over here we just have the bog standard cartons and the 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6 litre screw-top plastic bottles. I think the milkmen still use the old returnable 1pt glass bottles with the foil caps. We had those when I was just a lad, but the local dairy got a little unreliable and a lot more expensive so we switched to the supermarket variety.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I've seen here in the UK is the same as Rev, 90% plastic screwtop bottles and a few of those cartons. Bag of milk is just plain weird, it's like they're deliberately looking for a transport method that is entirely unsuited to the task. Not that I drink milk anyway. Cow secretions? Bleugh!

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:

there's a word... for this.. uh... straws...

like trying to pleasure your GF, not with your tongue but a straw.... a 4 mile long straw... that's like the intraweb in the middle of some big sea... my computer hooked up to a 4 mile long straw....

what was the subject matter again? clearly it's not about fun bags :/

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
We are are we?

*shrug* It's in the article. Maybe they screwed up their research?
quote:
The U.K. is in the midst of a painful switch to bags, driven by complaints that Britons refuse to recycle jugs. When they first appeared a couple of years ago, the Daily Mail sounded the alarm: “End of the milk bottle? Supermarket begins selling milk in a BAG.”

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Don't believe everything you read, especially if it cites the Daily Mail.

As for refusing to recycle. We really don't have much of a choice. I think in some areas local councils have started fining people if they don't put out their recycling bins. If I recall some were even supposed have tracking devices. It's all getting a bit Orwellian down here.

I have half a mind to move up to Scotland. You're still governed by a parliament full of Scots, but I gather that particular lot of jocks actually have half a clue what they're doing.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what to make of the last two lines of the article. First, what is a "ketchup chip"? How can you make a chip out of a liquid? And second, what do they think Americans would find weird about pickle chips?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps