Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bags or Jugs? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bags or Jugs?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Yes we are. I hope I passed on some of my weirdness to you when I was in SJ back in 2008.

Indeed. And if I'd known that you poured your milk from a bag...

Actually with the pitcher and all, it doesn't really sound all that weird and it does make sense. There's some means to close the top while you're not using it, n'est pas? The steepled (that a word?) paper cartons we use and to which I am accustomed must be extremely wasteful by comparison. I'd still be freaked out about the bag getting punctured or torn in transit, but maybe they're tougher than I'm imagining.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough or not, it would be like trying to pour a glass of water out of a water balloon. That is, a disaster waiting to happen. You can go too far with trying to recycle and reduce, there are some things you really cant mess around with too much. We're forced to recycle our cartons and plastic bottles here anyway, so no great loss.

As for our Scottish parliament, as with pretty much every government it's filled with ambitious, power hungry people with no experience or training in running huge organisations and who will lie at the drop of a hat. Politicians.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the milk bags, you gut the corner off and there is no covering of the milk while its in your fridge. Once you open the bag its open until its empty. Cut it across the top, rinse it out, and you have a bag that's good for putting stuff in the freezer with. And they're actually very easy to pour.

As for the ketchup and dill pickle chips, its a flavouring on potato chips. Which I'm presuming is not common or even found anywhere in the US.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
Indeed. And if I'd known that you poured your milk from a bag...

Actually with the pitcher and all, it doesn't really sound all that weird and it does make sense. There's some means to close the top while you're not using it, n'est pas? The steepled (that a word?) paper cartons we use and to which I am accustomed must be extremely wasteful by comparison. I'd still be freaked out about the bag getting punctured or torn in transit, but maybe they're tougher than I'm imagining. [/QB]

Punctured bags are a common thing around here, although the bags are indeed a little tougher than most. The outside bag that carries the milk is not as tough as the milk bags themselves. Most Canadians are smart enough to ensure that when carrying bagged milk home, it goes in its own bag, so to prevent the leak from affecting your other grocery purchases.

Some of the common things that happen include but are not limited to:
- a puddle of milk in the bottom of your refrigerator or leaking from your refrigerator
- wet-from-leaking-milk car interiors.
- the "milk-trail-from-fridge-to-counter"
- the "exploding bag" during transport

Just yesterday, I was carrying a box of groceries when a carton of Tropicana OJ fell out of the box and slammed flat onto the ground. The carton did not break after the impact, so I was quite impressed with its durability. As for milk bags, I've dropped them many times before, only once did they rupture.

As for the chips thing, if you think we've got it weird, then you don't know the half of it. A friend came back from Europe with a couple of bags of Tzatziki, Chili, Curry, Basil and Olive, Oregano, and Wasabi chips. A quick trip to the local supermarket also revealed BBQ Ribs, General Tao's Chicken, Ranch, Buffalo Wings, Fries and Gravy, Salsa, and Blue Cheese.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Loblaw's has their own line of chips that have some funky flavours.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to your local chinese supermarket and see if you can find the 'Squid & Honey' flavour chips/crisps. Bizarre is not the word for how they taste.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As for the ketchup and dill pickle chips, its a flavouring on potato chips."

That's... not even a possibility that occurred to me. That's awful.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Ketchup chips are actually quite tasty.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marmite crips ftw.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marmite crips are fantastic! They are the god of crisps...all hail the Mighty Marm!

For bizareness, you can't beat those chocolate chili flavour crisps Walkers tried last year. They were beyond weird!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just don't eat vegemite bloods with your marmite crips, or the resulting shoot-out could injure innocent bystanders in your mouth.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
Go to your local chinese supermarket and see if you can find the 'Squid & Honey' flavour chips/crisps. Bizarre is not the word for how they taste.

You know these chips are not "North American Made".

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh...I didn't know milk bags were uncommon outside Canada and the UK. I grew up with them but switched to carton milk when I moved on my own for no other reason than to avoid buying a pitcher.

Interesting none the less.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call them common in the UK. Most of the milk, if not all of it at the supermarkets near me is still in 1,2,4 or 6 pint plastic bottles. The orange one that likes Jamie Oliver had the bags for a bit, but I've not seen them for a while.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk is vile. I would not drink human milk, much less that hormone-infested bovine pus.

Statements made by Jason Abbadon are not endorsed by America's Dairy Farmers

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps