Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » 4 months afterward..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 4 months afterward.....
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Columbine High School students filed into the same school that was rampaged with gunfire, blood, and tears.......

They walked past a long line of supportive community and family members, into hallways and classrooms that can't possibly any longer feel safe...... and sang, and shouted, filled with the courage that they would stomp out intolerance and take back their school.

I can't think of any better form of poetic courage than that. Let's live by thier example.

------------------
"Elevator to hell, going up." - What Dreams May Come

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure of course, let's all live surrounded by guard dogs and cops in an area where the First Amendment is a thing of the past, I sure would to live in an area like that. [Every point is true first Colimbine in now patrolled by lots of cops and guard dogs, and Free Speech is no longer allowed because I of this statement ""Sexual, racial and religious slurs or jokes will not be allowed," DeAngelis said. "Profanity and off-color language will not be allowed in the halls of Columbine High School."" Sure that all sounds nice and it is positive and perhaps good, it's doesn't sound like much free speech is happening there, it sound more like, free speech as long as it's PC and what we like.]

BTW I intend no disrespect, Jubilee, I just see the Dark side of all this stuff and need to point it out. Yes the rally was a good thing and what the principal said was important and good. However when the kids are surrounded by so much secruity that the school feels in some ways like a prison, then I get nervous, and point out little things that don't seem right. But I am glad that someone feels that way and I wish I did, but I don't and likely never will.

Works Cited
http://www.apbonline.com/911/1999/08/16/columbine0816pm_01.html

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a rumor that schools here will be locked down every day, including doors with emergency release bars, that are designed to open easily in case of fire. I don't think I'd let a kid go to public school under those conditions.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jubilee
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point is not the school, or it's environment.... well, it is, but not THE point.

THE point is that these students have the courage to go back to such a place and continue their education.

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right the point is the students have the courage to return to there school, but what are they returning to a school or a prison, come on in some schools the only difference now is there are no strip searchs, and that the students don't live there and there isn't much esle different. Courage is great, it was great when the Kosovo Albanians returned to Kosovo after the horrible things the Serbs did to them, however it was terrible when a small group of them started doing the same thing to Serbs. All I am saying is 2 wrongs don't make a right.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Welcome back to school. Please check your Constitution at the door..."

Sorry. Couldn't help myself... :-)

------------------
"Now you're the only one here who can tell me if it's true,
That you love me, and I love me..."
-They Might Be Giants, "Kiss Me, Son of God"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courage is the first virtue. Be brave, kids.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw a report on CNN that swastikas(sp??) had been found painted on bathroom walls at Columine today. Now how do you think this will help the case against tighter security(which I AM against).

[This message has been edited by Deep6 (edited August 17, 1999).]

IP: Logged
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
""Sexual, racial and religious slurs or jokes will not be allowed," DeAngelis said. "Profanity and off-color
language will not be allowed in the halls of Columbine High School.""

--Ya know, at my old HS none of that has *ever* been allowed. Thinking that be ok even before the shootings is stupid! That is not free speech!

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!
"I'm down with Bill Gates, I call him Money for short
I phone him up at home and I make him do my tech support"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a question... It's okay to allow those things as free speech? Uhhhh...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They blocked the main entrance to the library with a new strip of lockers. I guess that place is too traumatic for anyone to set foot in. Wonder where the new library will be located?

I too don't see anything good about new security. At my high school, all we've got are video cameras, and a couple of cops who patrol the school every day and chat with the students. And that's A'ok with me. It may not be perfect, but it would probably be good enough.

ID tags? Get real. Student security starts with the students themselves.........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is suitable for flaming, no?

------------------
"Hey Mr. Boo, fly away home. Your house is so lovely, your children so nice."
--
Hello (The Band)

Jubilee
Member # 99

It wasn't supposed to be a flame topic... ugh.

------------------

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never my intention, if I am the reference.

As the son of a teacher, I know free speech has never been allowed in schools. School Admins. have more power on school property than law enforcement does on the streets.

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!
"I'm down with Bill Gates, I call him Money for short
I phone him up at home and I make him do my tech support"

HMS White Star
Member # 174

I know that and I even know that yes you check the Constitution at the door at the school you go to. As my Ex-principal Father Richard L. Mickey said "when you enter the school house you have no rights". But I thought it was funny that students were appauding the fact that they were having what little freedom stripped away and that everyone thought this a good thing, well it isn't. Sorry about that I guess I kind of started it, but feel really strongly about personal rights gurantteed in the Constitution and how easy people are giving them away for "increased Secruity", I don't know if the teachers paid a little more attention then perhaps this problem wouldn't be happening.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps