Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Separation of Church and State, part whatever (Page 14)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Separation of Church and State, part whatever
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking more in the line of metal plaques. An example of the laws and a short history of where they came from. In order of their appearance in history. The code of Hamurabi first. The others would be displayed equaly, Native American, Hindu,etc. Only the largest courthouses could handle the full presentation but smaller commemorations could be designed. It would be more of a tool to interest people in the necessity of the Law in everyday life and a way of firing up the imagination and desire to learn of the young. http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/bibleLanguages.htm another link to study this one gives better information. Aparently the Jews of that time often spoke or wrote in three different languages. Hebrew,Aramaic,and Greek.

[ September 17, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a Stephenson reference, and Simon didn't say anything about it? Surprising...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
I was thinking more in the line of metal plaques. An example of the laws and a short history of where they came from. In order of their appearance in history. The code of Hamurabi first.

You'd never be able to satisfy everyone and the US alone recognizes everything from Satanism to UFO cults as viable (and tax exempt) practising religons.
Then there's all of Christianity's spinoffs, sequels, prequels and of course, the re-launch books (although those are not really considered "canon" and have kinda a fanboy feel to them). [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point. The Laws that are a part of the history of mankind on this planet should have their place. Screw the UFO nuts.Religion is not the thing I would like to see displayed, but to present these Laws without telling how they came to be would be anti religion,not neutral to religion.
IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed.
This hereby ends the "Seperation of Church and State" thread.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what do you want me to say? I'm going to go see him speak next week.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Sol would like to know more about the subject, he can start with web searches. My own knowledge comes from real world conversations with professional translators.
Oh, now that's just classic DT. Come on Daniel we know it's you, 'fess up already. Mind you, it also sounds like Colin/Lindsly/Trinculo/targetemployee/Newark, and we haven't heard from him lately either. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simon: I don't know. Something like "Stephenson! Capital show, old fellow!" or whetever it is that the kids are saying these days.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*is just glad someone knew what he was talking about even if a little disappointed that Simon didn't try to high-five him* - fa la ba la resumes...

Where are you going to see him, Simon?

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is this Stevenson that Lee will be seeing?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert Louis. I've determined that if I hook up a generator to his grave, in which he's been spinning since Treasure Planet was released, it'll solve all the world's energy peoblems.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Well, what do you want me to say? I'm going to go see him speak next week.

See who?
Jesus? (probably NOT a good idea)
That wacky Judge?
Mountain Man?

You speakth of events and members concluded long before my own stealthy arrival.
Please elaborate.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Spade, I think.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fourteen tickets to a fortnight of consecutive midnight showings of Dickie Whatever, BABY!

But, no, Stephenson is going to be reading from Quicksilver at the University Bookstore at the University of Washington. Now I just have to figure out a way to get to Seattle and overcome my crippling fear of urban streets.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Quicksilver? The crappy Kevin Bacon movie?
Bor-ing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps