Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is This Thread Aiding The Terrorist Cause? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Is This Thread Aiding The Terrorist Cause?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Mr. Rumsfeld, I'd have to say, maybe.

quote:
Rumsfeld Strikes Back at Critics of U.S. Effort on Terror

HANNON, Ireland, Sept. 8 � With costs and casualties rising in the war on terrorism, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld struck back today at the administration's widening circle of critics, saying they were complicating an already difficult task.

Mr. Rumsfeld did not mention any of the domestic critics by name. But he suggested that those who have been critical of the administration's handling of the war in Iraq and its aftermath might be encouraging American foes to believe that the United States might one day walk away from the effort, as it has in past conflicts.

"We know for a fact that terrorists studied Somalia, and they studied instances that the United States was dealt a blow and tucked in, and persuaded themselves that they could in fact cause us to acquiesce in whatever it is they wanted to do," Mr. Rumsfeld said.

"The United States is not going to do that; President Bush is not going to do that," he said.

But, he went on: "To the extent that terrorists are given reason to believe he might, or, if he is not going to, that the opponents might prevail in some way, and they take heart in that, and that leads to more money going into these activities, or that leads to more recruits, or that leads to more encouragement, or that leads to more staying power, obviously that does make our task more difficult."

Similar points were made by President Bush in his address to the nation on Sunday night in regard to Somalia and an attack on a Marine Corps barracks in Beirut, Lebanon, in 1983. Mr. Bush said that terrorists had asserted "that that if you inflict harm on Americans, we will run from a challenge," adding, "In this, they are mistaken."

---

He had not previously suggested that the administration's critics might unwittingly be aiding the terrorist cause. He made that point in response to a question about criticism from Democratic presidential candidates and others, which Mr. Rumsfeld described as the "hits" that the administration was taking over issues related to costs and casualties, and whether the United States had enough troops in Iraq.

"There should be a debate and discussion on these things," he said. "We can live with that. We can live with a healthy debate as long as it is as elevated as possible, and as civil as possible."

Douglas Jehl, The New York Times

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Any other point of view supports terrorism.Not fighting terrorism supports terrorism.Not recognizing the effects of terrorism supports terrorism.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are going to be losses if you do nothing, as we learned on Sept. 11
But you couldn't have done anything to prevent 9/11... unless....

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See how much more fun it is when you find a purpose. Having your social order shook up by totaly illogical strikes from out of no where by someone whose attitude makes no sense, Has actually made you come together. Your society has been changed. For the better. Or not.
IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So who are you really?
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men" The shadow doooooo

[ September 09, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've crippled people for life, yet you spout this holier than thou bullshit about violence?

There's a word for that kind of attitude:

HYPOCRITICAL

You might want to look it up.

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Takes one to know one. Na Na Na. Besides who knows whether any thing is real in cyberspace. Still playing. See how your attitude towards those who do violence has suddenly changed. Paranoia strikes deep.Bye now remember this is your play time so don't let any one disturb your train of thought.
Cartman
Member # 256

Oh, my attitude towards those who do violence hasn't changed. Just my attitude towards you, now that you've revealed your true colors as a violent, manipulative, post-editing (come down with a slight case of paranoia yourself, perhaps?) piece of shit.

[ September 09, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Come now does no one respect your authority Cartman Stooping to vulgarity How crude. Good thing I'm a man of peace. Rather than some one who Highjacks airliners and murders people in the name of religion when its always been politcal. And most bad boys that Ive met can't fight their way out of a paper bag. "Any fight between grown men that lasts more than eight seconds is a sporting event."
Cartman
Member # 256

Do men of peace cripple other people for life?
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That will be quite enough of that.
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Ask some religious scholar. How should I know I'm an artficial intelligence that is not yet self aware. Random posting is part of the program."ignore the man behind the curtain".Ps sorry about that charley our post crossed. You run a pretty good place here so I'll quit bugging these boys. Kind of hard to be objective so close to the 911.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half the time I agree with Mountain Man.

The other half of the time, I end up expecting him to turn out to be Gene Ray. Certainly, his sentence structure is similar.

"You were educated stupid! Time Cube is for all, all is for one! Athos knew!"

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignoring the more, ah, curious posts in this thread...

What Rummy appears to be saying is that if you oppose the current administration you are on the side of the terrorists. Hm. Not entirely in keeping with the concept of free speech now, is it?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps