Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » London Underground explosion(s) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: London Underground explosion(s)
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBC News.

Although the current theory is a power surge of some kind.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So official word seems to be a power surge and/or outage.

But there are some rumours of bombs and a double decker bus that has exploded...

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to be terrorist related. National Grid says it has no record of a power surge. The bus explosion would seem to rule that out too.

Although there's still no real idea about what's going on.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is, they ought to check their major-events-in-London-to-plant-bombs-at calendar again. LiveAid and Wimbledon were last week, and it's a bit on the early side for the Olympics.

Still, the explosion pattern sure seems intentional.

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six explosions... three dead people. But some France media outlets say 20.

And they checked fine. The G-8 summit is undergoing NOW, you know.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

And there probably was more security during Geldof Day and Wimbledon than during G8, when security was more focused on Gleneagles, or whatever the place is called.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up to seven blasts now; Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East, Tavistock Square and Moorgate.

quote:
The BBC's Frank Gardner said Arab sources said the blasts were probably the work of al-Qaeda.

London's police chief said traces of explosive had been found at one site.

Blair is leaving Gleneagles and coming down to London.

On the plus side people have been brewing tea for those in the streets so things'll probably be ok.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traces of explosives have been found according to the London chief of police. So much for any power surge theories.

I guess the idea was to remind everyone up in Scotland they're still around. Cowards.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the sound of things, the objective seems to be to bring down the public transport network, rather than the objective in Madrid, which seems to have been to kill as many as possible. I'm still trying to contact all friends and family who work in town, but the mobile networks are a bit busy. Email is working.
The emergency services seem to have been amazingly fast and efficent, thank god!

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have said that the mobile network went down, either due to overuse, or that they may have shut it down as mobiles were used in Madrid as detonators.

Are you Brits/londoners on here ok?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good God...weren't we supposed to have defeated al-Qaeda?

--------------------
Meh

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

I've got in touch with most of my friends in London and they all seem to be ok; the mobile network is down for calls but text messages are still getting through.

The number of explosions appears to have been reduced to four, with three occuring on the Underground, mostly between stations, which would account for the earlier reports of more.

Group claims responsibility

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I'm going there next Tuesday. Guess I'll stick to Brighton, then.
tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blackberry was still receiving emails, but not calls, so I don't think they shut it down, although the tube lines where the bombs are the "cut and cover" ones quite close to the surface, they still have very poor phone coverage, and mobiles are unlikely to have been used. However, half the population of London would have ben ringing each other to say "I'm ok" , or "I'm going to be late for work"
The message from the police is stay where you are, the tube network has been shut down, as have the major overground stations, and all buses have been withdrawn from Zone 1 (for public trasport, there are 6 charging zones, 1 being in the middle). Transport details here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/
I can't imagine that amnyone in London is going to find it easy to get home tonight, I suggest looking for hotels and arange room sharing with collugues
As it reopens, here are a few tube maps:
http://map.tfl.gov.uk/map.asp
http://map.tfl.gov.uk/realtime.asp (not currently working)
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/til/jsp/maps/tube.jsp
Geographic tube map
http://solo2.abac.com/themole/geo_tubemap.gif

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chances of them striking the same place twice in a week are pretty much zero. But I can understand you being nervous.

I don't recall when (if ever) the entire underground network has been completely shut before. London is completely dependent on it's public transport network, so shutting it will have bought the place to a complete halt.

And some sort of Eurpean group with links to Al-Quaeda are claiming responsibilty.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps