Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » London Underground explosion(s) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: London Underground explosion(s)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I suppose the question then becomes, is the Al-Qaeda movement merely an extension or distillation of anti-US sentiment that has coalesced over the past couple of decades? Or, is it an extremist movement that has been able to flourish and grow to prominence, with that same specific anti-US feeling as a growth medium?

That's a big part of it.
Some of this is still fallout from the cold war days when both the "western powers" (the US being by far most visible) supported one local tyrant over another to further whatever global chessboard situation was going on at the time.

In no way does that make this a "get what you deserve" kind of thing- the majority of deluded saps that carry out attacks are from our generation...or younger.

Another factor is that very poor and disenfranchised people are easy targets for hatemongers.
That one knows no cultural boundries.

As example:
Saudi Arabian clerics will set up a mosque in a poor village, make conditions marginally better there in exchange for unwavering loyalty to their extremist rethoretic.
....and of course, the promise of paradise in the afterlife.
Funny how they never promise to make things better in this world- only to avenge whatever percieved wrong wealthy countries have heaped on the muslim world.
Neglecting the fact that their leaders and supporters (the guys that dont blow themselves up) are often millionaires.

It's gotten to the point where some humanitarian aid is activly opposed by muslim clerics.
Polio is back among muslims -with a vengence- as a reult.
That will also be blamed on the WEst and the US in particular, of course.
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
I would like to visit this magic wonderland of yours in which "the average person's" viewpoint on "anything" is actually informed and doesn't originate with Fox News in any way.

Jesus, do you really believe that?
That's like thinking that all French people are accurately represented in the Pink Panther movies.
A horrible caricature at best. [Wink]

I dont know of anyone that watches (at admits to anyway) FOXNews, but I suppose there must be a large flock of them out there- but as i said, the extremist statments of one bozo there does not stand for all americans or any majority.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is always far easier to tear down something than to build something up. And generally quicker too.

Messages of "pull yourself up by your own bootstrap" are in no way popular. Especially when you can gain an instant following with the "It's (insert proposed enemy)'s fault that you don't have jack! Now send me money to fight these Tyrants!" chant.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I dont know of anyone that watches (at admits to anyway) FOXNews

Well, now you know one. And I usually keep out of these discussions because the left wing element around here is extremely vocal, and I'm not. And I can form my own opinions, thank you. Having a political scientist for a wife has its advantages.

B.J.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jesus, do you really believe that?"

Insofar as I believe that the average person's viewpoint is as uninformed as a brick, yes, because I am one big elitist prick at heart.

Also, to pull one of Wizass's typical if-slightly-orthogonal-to-the-topic "anyone who is poverty-stricken has only themselves to blame, whatever the circumstances" rants into this context...

"It's (insert proposed enemy)'s fault that you don't have jack!"

...the people in, say, Iran or Afghanistan have plenty of reason to replace "proposed enemy" with "western powers" because the wrongs that have led to the current conditions in those countries are anything but "perceived", and until the anti-US sentiment there is taken away (which requires acknowledging why it is so strong in the first place), your hatemongers will always have a smorgasbord to feed on.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"
Also, to pull one of Wizass's typical if-slightly-orthogonal-to-the-topic "anyone who is poverty-stricken has only themselves to blame, whatever the circumstances" rants into this context...

"It's (insert proposed enemy)'s fault that you don't have jack!"

...the people in, say, Iran or Afghanistan have plenty of reason to replace "proposed enemy" with "western powers" because the wrongs that have led to the current conditions in those countries are anything but "perceived", and until the anti-US sentiment there is taken away (which requires acknowledging why it is so strong in the first place), your hatemongers will always have a smorgasbord to feed on.

So what you are saying is that their current conditions have nothing to do with their own infighting, culture, beliefs, choices, etc. and it was ALL caused by the U.S. policy in the last couple of decades. How Fraudian...er... Freudian of you. You obviously missed the intent of what I was saying. It is easier to complain about the wrongs that someone else has done to you and blame them for your misfortune, while sitting on your butt, than to get off your butt and DO something about your current condition.

The best revenge is living well.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or flying planes into the buildings of those who do.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, also, could be construed as delightfully "getting off of TEH BUTT!1 and DOING !!something."

Blowin' up!

There's a silver dollar made out of genuine WTC meat, I see. What ever happened to Sacajawea dollars?

But for real, a spinning silver dollar! Set to God Save America! Or another delightfully dedicated Sousa romp! On TV! You can buy up to five (5).

I am ruining my mystique is what is the deal here.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, looks like they were suicide bombers and all apparently British, which is mildly worrying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You had mystique?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Rebecca Romaijn-Stamos.

Is she just back to Rebecca Romaijn now?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anything, she would be back to "Rebecca Romijn".
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
So, looks like they were suicide bombers and all apparently British, which is mildly worrying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings

Yeah- looks like they took trains into town themselves.
Looks like at least one bomber was only 19 years old- some kid's mind poisoned with a distorted view of his own religion.
I heard another had two infants waiting for him back home...
Incredible that someone could abandon their family just to kill strangers.

Want sadly ironic? Last wednsday, the House voted to cut the transportation safety budget by $50 million (from $150).
Now, of course, they are vowing to "inscrease the safety of our trains and rail systems".
Fucktards.

With news all aflutter of terrorism, the- much needed- revisions to the Patriot Act were all killed (save one).
Now the US government will legally pry into any library or bookstore purchases you make.

Thankfully I paid for my Anarchist's Cookbook with cash. [Wink]

quote:
"Jesus, do you really believe that?"

Insofar as I believe that the average person's viewpoint is as uninformed as a brick, yes, because I am one big elitist prick at heart.

people might be more informed if news of the London bombings was not already shuffled in with casualties in Iraq (back on page 12 today- right next to news of more than 30 children killed by a suicide bomber when they gathered for free candy and toys brought by US servicemen. Brad Pitt leaving the hospital with the flu was on page six. Un-fucking-believable).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dailyblah.com/2005/07/for-few-pennies-more.html

Tend to agree with this

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad.

This is very good. If all else fails, you can always rely on Boris...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why does America import its suicide bombers, while we produce our own?"

I'll just drop one name: Timothy McVeigh.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps