Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » London Underground explosion(s) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: London Underground explosion(s)
tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like one on the bombs was on the Picaddily, which is a deep level "Yerkes" tube. Definablty no phone coverage.

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Reuters--quoting Sky News--45 people are dead and 1,000 injured. CNN and ABC say 40 people are dead and 300 injured.

--------------------
Meh

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd! Just an hour and a half ago it was 2 people dead, 90 injured! 2 people too many dead.

So can someone explain (if they know) the explosions in the tube - was it ON the trains, in the tunnels or at the platforms? The bus explosion supposedly lifted the roof off of the bus!

Fucking gutless-wonders.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Brian Paddick confirmed 33 people had died in the blasts on the Underground. He said it was not yet known how many died in the bus blast.
From the BBC

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

tricky
Member # 1402

The train bombs were on the trains, they went off inside the tunnels. I can't imagine of anthing much more scary, especially on the deep level picadilly line. I just don't want to think about it. The bomb that went of near Edgware road station apparently managed to damage 2 nearby trains as well as the train the bomb was on.
The double decker bus bomb blew apart the top deck, the picture on the BBC show bits of the sides of the top deck, the roof and most of the seats missing (top deck is lightweight, a routemaster can tilt at something like 35% before it will fall over, even with a full load up top). One (for want of a better word) fortunate thing there was the bus exploded next to the British Medical Association, so there were a lot of doctors on hand. They've estimated 33 people have died on the tube, but can't estimate how many died on the bus, which worries me.

The inital reports of a power surge was caused by the safteies cutting power, so showing a large reductions in power used at control stations

Some of the mainline overground stations are reopening, but no tube for the rest of the day. After they have inspected all of the tube trains plus all of the stations, they hope to open the lines which wern't damaged tomorrow. The lines that were damaged they hope to do shuttle services in the unaffected sections. Dockland Light railway has reopened.

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a response from my friends currently working in London and they are OK... one of them had stayed home and the other was on a train when all this happened (no idea which train, I guess it wasn't the underground).
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the UK - Derbyshire (well away from the horribile events of today).

37 dead at last count:
7 at Liverpool Street Station
21 at King's Cross
5 at Edgware
? from the bus bomb (the top of it was split open from the blast - they even said there was blood splattered on the nearest building - the British Medical Association God that must have been horribile to see! We won't know for a while as they'll likely have to examine the pieces of the bodies! [Frown] )
4 more but I don't know where they lost their lives
37+ dead
45-100 seriously injured - loss of limbs, heart attacks, severe head injuries, etc.
Anything from 300-800+ injured (minor): cuts, bruises, shock, etc.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

I heard of this on the news this morning about 9:30 and watched it pretty much all day - so depressing and sad. Don't know anyone in London but it still got to me seeing all the walking wounded and hearing how everything happened.

I would like to salute the emergency services and the passersby who helped the injured - we're all proud of you guys and gals! [Smile] [Smile]

What a shame that it takes a disaster for us all to come together. [Mad] [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is probably going to sound US-centric since I'm assuming that just because they're from the UK they are in London, but I've noticed Lee and MaGiC haven't posted in here. Does if either of them live or work in London, and does anyone know if either of them are all right?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

tricky
Member # 1402

3 million people use the tube everyday, millions use the buses. The total population of london is 7.5 million (not including the surrounding areas), out of a population of 60 million plus.
My job allows me to work from home if needed, and save for the disruption, I would use the underground and buses today. I used to walk pased where the IRA blew up Broadgate, near Liverpool street. These days I visit Canery Wharf everyday, also targeted by the IRA, and all over the tube you can see world war 2 anti bomb shutters. I gew up near primary and secondary USSR H-Bomb targets. I've had relatives on platforms where bombs have gone off years ago. I have family in Spain affected by ETA. al-Qaeda, if this is that bunch of jerks, are a bunch of amaters who are about to learn something about this nation: You give us a bloody nose, we get back up and get back to work. And we have had as much practice as Spain at finding you.

Lee's profile says Bristol, relativly close to Wales, other side of the country, which is far enough away to not suggest a daily commute.
MaGiG's profile says London, however her occupation would suggest she may be a little busy at the moment.
[edited to fix gender]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(her, incidentally)
tricky
Member # 1402

ooops, Sorry.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"more than 50" dead now. 700 injured, 22 critically.

I've heard that at least 8 Australians have been injured - 2 critically.

I listened on the radio to a poor Australian man who had been there at the bombings in London - had also been through the Bali bombings. He sounded very upset. Poor guy.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't have a chance to post yesterday, but yes i'm fine and well - I work at The Guardian newspaper / guardian unlimited so stuff was somewhat frantic yesterday. It's the first major event since i've worked there and I had no idea what it would be like. I had a slight advantage over lots of people in that I can get my news right from the wires and don't have to wait for it to be published - I was using MSN to keep all my contacts informed with accurate and up to date info. Don't know why I didn't think to do that here! Dur.

Walking home last night was a really strange experience. Streets full of people who had no other way home - and a feeling of solidarity which believe me you don't normally get in London.

Glad everyone seems to be OK.

Clare
X

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents were vacationing in France, but are heading home today on a British economy carrier. They're okay, but probably going to be late. >.<

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

tricky
Member # 1402

The trouble with most large cities is it's very hard to feel part of a community. On the tube you shut yourself away, tring to ignore the armpit your nose is pressed into. You see homeless people on the street, and you soon realise you can't give them all money as you pass, everyday. So you do other things to help, and try to get on with your own life. However, I've always found that once something serious happens, Londoners do come together, and will help each other out. Such things do remind us that we are part of something great, a town that lasted millenia that is constantly changing and absorbing new cultures, but remains what it has always been: Home.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps