Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I hate the GOP (Page 12)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: I hate the GOP
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was from being tortured in Vietnam as a POW.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is he so sure he'll lose, he's looking for a new sideline in comedy?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't find a better thread for this, so here goes.

When looking at the live Obama interview on the Daily Show last week, there are two things I notice.

1: Obama is a good speaker and a bad, bad "actor". When trying to pull off the same jokes (about daughter and disney channel for example) that he's already made in other interviews earlier in the week, it sounds rehearsed and awkward, which is great.

2: The impression I got in that interview was that of a positive, humble man who deep down is shy in the spotlight but has learned to work around it (his body language reactions to McCain's debate barbs also point to that, controlled shyness).

And that's why I think he's an obvious choice for a leader. He's not a member of the folksy, populist, wolf-smile "lying to your face" actor's club that Bush, Clinton and McCain belong to, Obama's not good enough of a poker-face liar for that. People should be more happy to have a man in the white house that is a bad actor but good legislator and leader. The majority of the people during elections seem to get swayed by the candidates that appeal to their values and seem the most charming, but in this case, I get more comforted by Obama's "flaws" than his merits.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I don't disagree that Obama is a good leader, and he's obviously very charismatic, but it's the policies that he stands for that I disagree with. If his platform was closer to the middle, I might have some problems with deciding who to vote for.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good leader takes people where they want to go. A GREAT leader takes people where they need to be.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose all that remains to be said at this point is, now will all you Yanks just get out there and VOTE?!

If you don't, you don't have anything to complain about.

Expect long queues, so take a book, your personal music player of choice, Nintendo DS/Playstayshun Puny, whatever.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kepp your hand on your purse at all times, beware of votestealers.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted! Took me about an hour and I got there 10 minutes after the polls opened.
WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at the polling place 10 minutes before opening. Was in, voted, got my complimentary "Amaircun Fulag" sticker and was out of the parking lot by a 7:15.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voted about an hour ago. Took about 5 minutes. Almost made a Freudian slip and voted under the United Workers Party, but luckily I was able to change it in time [Wink]
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I suppose all that remains to be said at this point is, now will all you Yanks just get out there and VOTE?!

If you don't, you don't have anything to complain about.

Someone posted a good analogy on /. the other day for that argument. Say there's only one restaurant in town, and the only two meals they offer are a rotten fish and a manure sandwich. If you refuse to eat either, do you still have the right to complain about being hungry?

Of course, the proper solution is to realize there are plenty of restaurants around, and it's just the one restaurant that wants you to think it's the only one. [Smile]

VOTE THIRD PARTY!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:

Of course, the proper solution is to realize there are plenty of restaurants around, and it's just the one restaurant that wants you to think it's the only one. [Smile]

VOTE THIRD PARTY!

Would that be that Wee Scottish Restaurant?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Scottish wee has no place in contemporary politics.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only question now is: When the heck are we going to have to decent candidates run?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ex-wife sang it seems.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps