Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Roasting the US (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Roasting the US
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong or anything. Some of the coolest people I talk to over ICQ are US citizens, but as a Canadian I feel it's time to attack the good old US citizen superiority complex

Why do you think you're better than the rest of the world? Over 50% of the population of the States are completely oblivious to the presence of Canada. Canada is more than just a mass of snow, dogsleds, Vancouver, and Toronto. Our leader doesn't cheat on his wife. [sorry about that one, I just HAD to say it ] Canada has been voted the best country in the world for 3 consecutive years.

Now, enough about Canada, and back on topic. Everywhere I go on the internet where you have to fill out a form, everytime I go to the "Country" field, 99% of the time "United States of America" is selected, and when I go to change it to "Canada", the USA is at the top of the list!!! Grr... And that's not all. My cousin was talking to someone on a chatline once, and when she was asked where she lived she said New Brunswick. The person repliead saying: "Oh, you're from New Jersey?" WTF?! Sure, New Brunswick is a city in NJ but it's also a province in Canada. Sure, Ontario is a city in California (I think) but it's also a province in Canada and the location of our capital. I'm sure other people here from around the world can contribute their experiences with the US citizen superiority complex. Let's recap on this thread's purpose:

1. To attack the US citizen [not to self: come up with a better name!] superiority complex

2. To remind all US citizens that North America doesn't end at the 50th parallel....

------------------
"Timeline? This is no time to argue about time. We don't have the time!"
*pause*
"Now what was I saying?"
-Counselor Troi, drunk on tequila, Star Trek: First Contact

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US is the top country or among the top countries in all kinds of things - technology, industry, military strength, land area, etc. All told, there's plenty of reason to think it's "better" than other countries, unless you get into specific categories, like the crime rate.

The problem with Canada is, like I've said in the past, it's a whole lot like the US. Many Canadian policies are different than those in the US, but that's mainly due to political concerns, and not necessarily related to the general state of the population.

Seriously, it would be hard to pick out a Canadian in a group of people from the US. Unless he/she was from Quebec and speaking French or something like that, of course.

About the form thing: There are lots more Internet users in the US than most countries (I don't want to say all, because I don't know if it's true). It thus makes sense for the US to be selected by default. I mean, the alternative is Afghanistan or something (going alphabetically). And in that case, the millions of US users would have to scroll down to the bottom, as opposed to, say, Canadians.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Seriously though, I love Earth. It's where I keep all my stuff." - Simon Sizer

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm talking about the superior attitude that most US citizens have to the rest of the world...

Continuing the form thing: Make the default field something like "Select Country" or a blank one. US surfers can just hit the "u" button on the keyboard to get there faster

------------------
*pause*
"Now what was I saying?"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind whether our sense of self-worth is founded in fact or fantasy. What difference does it make to Canada if Americans feel good about themselves? That's the main complaint I hear about Americans (as people, not as a Government).

Rather than tell Americans "Hey! Stop feeling so good about yourselves!" why don't you lay off and start liking yourselves so much it doesn't matter what others think of themselves? Does it hurt anyone? I don't really think so. It sounds a lot like petty jealousy and to tell the truth, if you can't think of anything concrete you would like us to do then DON'T TELL US HOW TO FEEL!

Next!

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*agrees with Baloo*

------------------
"A rock feels no pain, and an island never cries..." Simon and Garfunkel

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..... And why do French people say "Stupid Americans.."

and why do british people say to me as the representative American "YOUR lot are a bunch of nutters" ...

There are more countries out there who think they're just as superior.
Nationalism is important, as long as it's not taken to the level of, say ..... Nazi Germany.

------------------
"It is important to get up when you fall...for this much I know to be true: That thing we call Failure is not in the falling down, but the staying down."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: On many browers those sorts of fields are pull-down menus, though.

------------------

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah the ever present Canadain bashing Americans and vice versa.
What will this place be without it.
Reason why Americans are so like the way they are is because they are powerful in every way at this point in time with much influence. It may seem bad now but wait till they start to be challenged more for their postion of power later on.
And well it will all depend on how they the Americans will take it if and when this power which they now enjoy should falter.
If they still take this attitude of supierority once they are shrunken in power than it is a problem. U can't say it will not happen cause look at the British Empire, they controlled such a large amount of wealth and power throught the world.The belief that this power is forever is just delsional and nearsighted.

------------------
I did'nt do it.

IP: Logged
Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I won't knock Canada (except when asked to, or after watching South Park Movie). I love the country. I visit it almost every year and find something new to visit anytime. However I understand Canadians' feelings toward Americans. But to let you know, America is the best country, hands down. Canada is a close second, and the rest of the world comes after us. Hey, we were first.

------------------
I'll get you for this Gadget!!!! MEEEEE-ROWWRRRR.

Mycon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Jubilee: Why should nationalism be important? It's responsible for nearly every conflict today and caused two world wars. IMO is nationalism, or the softer version patriotism, a tool for the ones who are in charge to manipulate the stupid masses. See Kosovo and Serbia. The people there were brainwashed with nationalistic propaganda, and so are the Americans. I'm always shocked how much patriotism I see in U.S. movies. I don't want to insult anyone, but the the love of the U.S. people for their country has IMO turned to overdevelopped pride. The U.S.A. are a rich und powerful country, but the social system for example is disastrous, compared to Middle-European standards. How can a rich country like the U.S. have so many people with a low income while the economy is booming like hell? And yes, the U.S. spend more money for their military than every other country. But that's not a reason to be proud of.

------------------
Mycon

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*kindly throws in his typical "America is not a country" speech*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mycon: Nationalism is also the reason for the creation of such countries as the US, Mexico, and all of South America.

Our social system is far far better when compared to the rest of the world, so NYAH!

As for the defense money, US officials say we aren't spending enough. We are the top country defensewise, and its going to stay that way.

*waves the US flag and exits*

------------------
"A rock feels no pain, and an island never cries..." Simon and Garfunkel

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

When will you people learn that there is no superior and no inferior, we're all equal?

------------------
*pause*
"Now what was I saying?"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

A world without conflict would be thoroughly boring. Nationalism is great because you'd be focusing your anger on some other country rather than your neighbors.

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But other countries are our neighbours. Think global!

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps