Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Roasting the US (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Roasting the US
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, Frank:

America has the largest land area, eh? You're fourth, you dumbass! Behind the Russian Federation, Canada and China. Thanks for reinforcing the ignorant American stereotype...

First of Two:

1. A written guarantee of individual freedoms.

>>A Bill of Rights is hardly exclusive to the US. Last time I checked, Canada has one. And ours is better because it doesn't have any gun shit in it... (easy there...)

2. Paramount.

>>Shatner. Even more ego.

3. The longest-lived successful Republic-based state.

>>Well, the Athenians had a democracy for a rather long time... and you beat France by less than twenty years. Besides, by then many monarchies were essentially constitutionalized and democratic anyway.

4. A viable (though seriously underfunded) space program.

>>Don't forget your unneccessary (not to mention very seriously overfunder) military program.

5. Microsoft AND Apple.

>>Molson AND Labatts

6. We are, to quote Bill Murray, "10 and 1!" (Okay, we took a dive in 'Nam, and Korea was pretty much a tie, so maybe it's 9-1-1.)

>>And you lost in 1812. We beat your asses (well, technically it was the Brits). Canada's never lost either. Not that military might should ever have any bearing on how great a country you are.

7. C. Capps

>> Me.

8. Jubes

>> Dani

9. Cargile

>>Tahna

10. Baloo

>>Fabrux

>>And, uh, we've got Vorlon, too...

Oh, and Baloo... I sorta agree with what you're saying. Except, well, the problem is that Americans are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to national pride. It's one thing to say Canadians are just not patriotic enough, but we feel no less pride in Canada than Australians feel in Oz, Swiss in Switzerland, Brits in the UK or Zambians in Zambia. The problem is that too many Americans think that (misconception 1) America is undeniably number one and (misconception 2) the rest of the world would undeniably be better off if they were like the US.

------------------
"You're not quite evil enough. You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil, just one calorie, not evil enough."
-The good Doctor and his son, Scot

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited July 30, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er. Reread Frank's post. He said "AT or AMONG the top." Therefore his mentioning land area is correct, even if largely irrelevant.

Technically, 1812 was a draw or stalemate. Realistically, it ended British harassment of US shipping, as well as establishing the US's place as a power to be reckoned with (any ragtag force that could pull a draw when fighting the same leadership that beat Napoleon would be.)
Therefore, it was a win, if not a military victory.

And we got a National Anthem and a couple other good songs out of it too...

*sings*
We fired one time and the British kept a'comin',
But there wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago,
We fired once more, and they began a'runnin',
Down the Mississippi to the gulf of Mexico...

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Canada was France's child first, until the Brits decided that the US wasn't enough for them....

------------------
"The Fabrux will never relent"
-Ben Embley

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited August 09, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Tom...What First of Two said. :P (And land area is relevant. I mean, if the US were suddenly changed to the size of, say, most European countries, there would be an overpopulation problem. )

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Seriously though, I love Earth. It's where I keep all my stuff." - Simon Sizer

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL@Liam*

Maybe I oughtta move...

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Is flabbergasted and deeply honored to be listed as a national resource, then remembers that so is wood.]

:P

There are always dumb people in the world. Most of us don't have to cross any borders to find them.

Each nation represented by the people at these forums has something unique to offer. Each person here is unique and also has something to offer.

Are you griping because it will effect a change for the better or are you just whining that this ignorant so-and-so is an ignorant so-and-so. Calling an idiot an idiot will not make him any less of a dolt. Wailing about American arrogance will not change anything either.

What will change things is a willingness to face the fact that opinions are rarely changed by speeches. Rather, people are influenced by other individuals. I don't want to suggest that there are as many idiots in Great Britain or Canada as there are in the U.S., but that the proportion is approximately the same.

That "proportionality" thing also goes for proud and arrogant individuals as well. How they come across to others is probably more a matter of personal style than anything else, but I hardly consider it an insult to be put down by a dolt. Rather, it's a badge of honor when the idiots recognize your superiority and try to bring you down to their level.

I am not proud of America because of what we have done in warfare. Those things were done out of actual or percieved necessity. I am proud of things like the Marshall plan, the Berlin Airlift (and I might add that America shares credit with other countries for that one). I am proud of what America tries to do to promote peace, and I am proud of the direction I want America to go (whether we are going that way is another story, but...)

The "I'm best, you're not" ploy is childish and stupid. England, Canada, and the U.S. are all great nations, and they do not sit at the peak of the greatness pyramid, but are (or should be) sharing space with other nations, cooperating to raise the plateau of greatness (not defined by military might) to new heights.

Unless someone subsequently utters some irresistably stupid remark, I believe this will be my last comment in this thread.

(But I'll keep reading it anyway.)

--Baloo

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*whistles softfly*

Once again, Baloo rivals his eloquence only with his common sense.

Anyone who disagrees with the above statement is...um...screwed up. And weird. And bad.

------------------
"You're not quite evil enough. You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil, just one calorie, not evil enough."
-The good Doctor and his son, Scot

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm messed up, weird, and bad.

And yet, I agree with Baloo as well.

There is no, nor should there be, a "greatest country."

However, I am still the greatest person.

A legend in my own mind.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora's got the right idea...

Actually, it is the "the US is the best nation and everyone should be like us' attitude that most other countries can't stad. Even if only a few feel it. But then, most of you feel it, even if it's in the tiniest degree.

The British on the other hand, are rarely nationalistic. Only when someone says that the US is better does the Union Jack come out.

Oh, and football matches.

And rugby matches

And cricket matches (for all the good that does).

And anytime a Frenchmen is within 10 miles of us.

Oh, and New Year's.

------------------
"Time makes all things possible. I can wait.
-Starscream

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom: Why am I being compared to Jubes...? *feels slightly lost*

------------------
"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." -- J. Bartlett Brebner

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, Baloo.

------------------
Saving the world: $50.
Saving the universe: $1,000,000
Saving your marraige: Sorry, I don't do that.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*doesn't know whether or not to be complimented about being compared to Baloo*

------------------
"The Fabrux will never relent"
-Ben Embley

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a great American, yet.

But really, who cares if America sucks or is great?

I'm little bit disturbed that imigrant workers get to take home all of thier income while I have to give some to the government. I'd gladly give up my citizenship to be able to take home all my money. (I'm poor. My attitude will change when I'm rich and complaining about there not being enough tax shelters.)

------------------
"What is that? A tank?"
--Our Lord and Savior David Koresh, the Second Coming snuffed out before He could any good.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't try to be a great American, just be an American, and let history decide the rest. @)

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I'm Canadian, too!

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps