Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Church and State (Page 10)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Church and State
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read a report on Reagan that stated that he was basically a simple minded chap who couldn't go much beyond the concepts of 'good' and 'evil'. However being an actor he was useful onscreen so that the repubs could carry out their reforms, or agenda and have a nice 'american grandaddy' face on it.

1+1 is 2 Ronald.

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"When too many want to get into the same school,... the school gets to pick and choose."

Ah, thank you kindly, Ziyal! That means that if you had a city-wide system, there would be no space limitations, and thus schools would not have that reason to disallow students entry. Anyone else think they have a problem with the catholic school system?

DT:

"Omega, you are [a racist]!"

OK, because I don't want to discriminate between races, I'm a racist? Is it just me, or does anyone else here think that that makes about as much sense as a one-legged man in a long jump contest?

ra-cism (ra'ciz`em) n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race. �rac'ist adj. & n.

I fit neither definition. I could point out that DT fits the second. But I won't.

"And now that I know you're from Nashville, I'm even more sure."

You also seem to think that I believe that black people are less intelligent than white people, simply by virtue of their being black. Now who's stereotyping?

"You sit there spouting your love for Reagan."

When did I do that? I simply stated that his economic policies worked better than any other this country has ever seen, and gave the facts to back it up. You have yet to attempt to counter those facts. And you never said exactly WHY supply-side doesn't work.

"But keep in mind Omega, I don't personally dislike you. I just think your political and social and economic beliefs are beyond crap."

It's amazing how you and Jay take the words out of my mouth like that. I could say the same thing about you.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any reason why Sol has started talking like Ali-G?

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I jsu can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've corrupted poor Simon. For a while now, I've been hanging in the rap community. Unfortunately, this has rubbed off on the young lad. I fear he's quite street now. Last week, he admitted to me that he was smoking the pipe while listening to Raekwon. The other day he quoted Chris Rock to me. And I do believe he's even developed rythym.

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all David Bryne's fault, really.

"Three hundred sixty five degrees; burning down the house."

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright people, this is the posting police, drop the accents, and put your hands over your heads!!!

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, I have here in my hands a letter from a teaching professional in Philadelphia, stating that THEIR per-student budget is a WHOPPING GREAT $5.97 per student.

Yes, that's right, I didn't forget any digits or screw up the decimal placement; it's FIVE DOLLARS AND NINETY-SEVEN CENTS.

Pathetic. And THIS is in a state that pays most of its tax money towards roads and education in the FIRST place.

Suggestions, o' brilliant education expert?

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So.....

We got hommie chilling in the corner listen to hip-hop and rap, peps spasing for increase in educational fund (not that I don't agree with you guys), and accused racist roaming about, but.....

What about the "Church and State" debate??!!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, this is much more fun.

Tora: "When too many want to get into the same school,... the school gets to pick and choose."

Omega: "Ah, thank you kindly, Ziyal! That means that if you had a city-wide system, there would be no space limitations, and thus schools would not have that reason to disallow students entry. "

Well, if the school gets to pick the best students, and throw out the stoopider people, then surely someone has to take them in. Unless all the schools have a certain standard, in which case the stoopider pupils wouldn't get into any schools.

Unless we should build special schools for those pupils who struggle to get D's. Possibly on an island somewhere.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something you'll learn about this place, Blue, is that one thing invariably leads to another. Especially in the Flameboard. And ESPECIALLY where I'm involved.

Primary unit of a dual-unit matrix:

"Suggestions, o' brilliant education expert?"

Well, for that I'd have to examine the Pennsylvania state and Philidelphia city budgets, then see the budget for the Philedelphia department of education, or whatever they call it there. There is no grand, sweeping solution. Everything needs to be figured out on an individual basis. If there were solutions that worked everywhere for everything, why would we even need local governments?

Is that $5.97 state, local, or total?

Oh, and is their school system any better or worse than any other? Just curious. You didn't say.

Liam:

"Well, if the school gets to pick the best students, and throw out the stoopider people, then surely someone has to take them in."

Well, what Ziyal said showed that the reason catholic schools have to restrict entry based on grades is because of a lack of space. If that lack of space was eliminated, as it would be in a city-wide public system, the schools would have no need to restrict entry to conserve space. That objection to the catholic school system being implemented throughout a city being defeated, are there any others?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited January 11, 2000).]

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well homeys, I am from straight outta Compton, err, South Philly. So I know what it's like around here. Oddly enough, Pennsylvania is the most progressive state this side of the Mississippi but its capital of progressiveness, Philadelphia, is a very backward city. We have more political prisoners in our jail cells than any other city. Our police force would have a tough time beating the LAPD in the "Racial Sensitivity Olympics." Goodness, we have our DA on tape instructing law students to strike black jurors.
Of course, we also have a great history of freedom in this state. The Quakers being progressives, being an important stop on the Underground Railroad, producing some very proud revolutionaries, namely MOVE and our chapter of the Black Panthers, and in general burning this city to the ground when it needed it. However, I think we're a perfect example of what Malcolm said when he told someone who used the phrase "down south" that "if you're south of the Canadian border, you're down south."

------------------
"No, I don't have a gun" - Kurt Cobain
Come As You Are, Nirvana

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was all set to write something scathing, intelligent, and to-the-point.

Then I got to work and discovered we'd been scammed yet again.

How do you scam a library? Simple. We don't have the time to check every reference that we ask for when people apply for cards. So, we get people who apply for cards, check out a few books... then vanish. This time, they even went to the trouble of making up an address which didn't exist -- which we discovered when the post office returned our overdue notice marked 'no such address.'

GODDAMMIT!!

Had another incident last month. Lady comes in, wants to renew her niece's card. Girl on duty can't find the card. Lady gets all attitudinal on her, makes a big fuss, goes home mad. Later, same lady's niece gets an overdue notice from the library (her third, and the 'final notice before prosecution' type), and Lady writes nasty letters to everybody from the Library Director to the local State Representative, saying she'd been discriminated against because of her skin tone, and gets me in hot water.

I end up on the defensive, but manage to save face with these facts.

1. The niece's card couldn't be found, because a week earlier it was pulled because the niece had books three YEARS overdue.

2. The Lady herself lived in Virginia, but was using a PA address to keep getting books without paying the non-resident fee.

3. It's always been library policy to send overdue notices to the holder of the card, given that we reason that if you're old enough to have a card, you're old enough to accept the responsibility for your actions concerning it.

None of these mattered to her, but fortunately they mattered to our Board. Hell, I'd never even gotten to SPEAK to the Lady, she just went ballistic on me and played the race card to boot. All the while she was checking out books fraudulently. (and still has one overdue on HER card, three months later)

Respect? Respect??? Hello???
This is a two-way proposition, bay-bee! You want some, you gotta show some!

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

DT
Member # 80

Umm... relavance?

------------------
"No, I don't have a gun" - Kurt Cobain
Come As You Are, Nirvana

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

referring back to the posts in this thread of Jan 7th.

Yeah, now you all have some idea of how far behind I am.

------------------

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I hate this thread!

------------------
Peace on Earth

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps