Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Let's have fun with Ethics...... ;) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Let's have fun with Ethics...... ;)
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Eskimo custom, hospitality is granted a higher moral responsibility than the sacriment of marriage. Because of this, a dutiful husband will offer his wife to an overnight guest, and a dutiful wife will be consensual to this sort of act.

Should we be allowed to judge wether this is right or wrong, given that we have grown up in different cultures, with different customs and morals?

Furthermore, is one Ethic possible since there are so many culture, so many customs, and so many different religions and morals?

Has there ever been a situation where someone has acted according to their "moral responsibility" and done something that would by this society's standards be considered Unethical?

:-)

*this is fodder for my thesis paper, so type away!*

------------------
"You say don't fear your dreams, it's easier than it seems.
You say you'd never let me fall, from hopes so high.
But never is a promise, and you can't afford to lie." - Fiona Apple

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jubes, what class is this for?

------------------
"Life is like a dick, sometimes you just wanna f**k it"
-Yun Zhu
USS Vanderbilt NCC-73121, Vanderbilt Class Starship

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, it's unfair to judge anything as "moral" or "immoral" unless it affects you in some way.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"He's Satan. And not the good kind. I hate him. If there is a god, I hope Jebus has him fry in hell." - DT, in reference to me

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sincerely doubt we're going to be able to solve the issue of ethical relativism, cultural relativism, and/or ethical subjectivism (And possibly emotivism!) in this thread.

Besides, as an on again/off again philosophy pseudomajor, I can ensure that you cannot have fun with ethics.

Also, I'm not sure this really needs to be in the Flameboard. Doesn't seem that inflammatory to me. Well, not yet anyway.

Ok, fine. Ethics. Well, let's look at it this way. Before we can address the issue of crosscultural ethics, we first need to decide whether there is anything for them to be concerned about. In other words, are there moral facts that can be classified as true? (Keep in mind that I'm not asking if there are universal moral facts. We'll get to that later.)

The answer to this question is usually, but not always, yes. The very existance of ethics as an area of study confirms our belief that it can be understood through inquiry. That is, there are indeed moral facts. I believe that X is wrong, and live my life accordingly. For me, the wrongness of X constitutes a fact. This belief may or may not be shared by the rest of my culture. For instance, in the United States, and indeed throughout the western world, killing a female member of your family because she has dishonored the family name is viewed as wrong. This value is not shared universally. But within our culture, such an action is wrong, and we agree about this enough to codify it in law.

Now then, the problem is that while I can believe that X is wrong, and that there is a moral fact that says that X is wrong, it does not logically follow that said fact is universal in application. Nor is it necessary for it to be so, at least from the viewpoint of an ethical relativist.

Of course, there is another angle to pursue. Namely, that there are no moral facts at all. Or at least that what we call morality is different for every person and hence useless as a tool to resolve conflicts in our everyday lives. What we know about human nature seems to disprove this idea. Everytime a child says that a punishment is unfair, they are appealing to a shared moral framework. (Of course, the fact that such an appeal doesn't work that often might be used to argue that there is no such universal ideal of fairness. A parent's idea is different from a child's, and so on.)

So, you tell me whether there can be shared moral facts or not and then we can move on.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I solved the problem of cultural relativism in Frank's "Ashes to Ashes" thread in the Voyager forum (much to Frank's chagrin, I might add).

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...no, you didn't.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"He's Satan. And not the good kind. I hate him. If there is a god, I hope Jebus has him fry in hell." - DT, in reference to me

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh this I gotta see.

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethics are decided by the people with the most power. I will say I think there is an ethical struggle right now in the U.S. and perhaps most of the world because there is not a dominate ethic out there. Our current thinking of equality and whatever else they call it tells us that there is not set correct ethic.

I beg to differ, but...

------------------
"Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great:
He was revealed in the flesh,
vindicated in spirit, seen by angels,
proclaimed among Gentiles, believed in throughout the world,
taken up in glory." -Paul
*First Timothy 3:16*

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Points at Frank's post*

See, I told you he was chagrined, therefore my previous statement must be true. Check out the aforementioned thread for my clever description of the cultural relativism problem (which proves that it doesn't need solving because it is essentially an unstoppable natural process of the universe).

Frank, just go back to eating your Big Mac and reading WWF magazines and admit I'm right.

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"See, I told you he was chagrined, therefore my previous statement must be true."

You just said that because I disagree, you must be right. That's like saying you're immortal right after dying or something.

All you proved is that fads exist. I could have told you that. Meanwhile, the world has ~250 distinct nations. Even the US and Canada are different with regards to things like firearms. Actually, even the US states are very different...compare someone in New York to someone in Arkansas.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Dane Simri
Member # 272

Frank, I can't believe you're lowering the argument to the level of nitpicking over faulty logic. Since when does an argument have to be logical? Quit whining and admit I'm right. The days of a single human culture are just around the corner. Buy your Air Jordans now and avoid the rush.

Warning! Argument $$$poilers Follow!
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

In case you couldn't tell, I'm pulling Frank's chain here. Because it's fun. Also because I'm right about the inevitability of cultural amalgamation and he's wrong. Please don't ruin my fun and tell him. Thank you.

------------------
Dane

Dane Simri
Member # 272

Oh, and actually, I didn't say I'm right because you disagree with me (although many here would think that a fairly solid argument) but rather I'm right because you're chagrined about it. Please see below.

cha�grin (sha-grin') noun
A keen feeling of mental unease, as of annoyance or embarrassment, caused by failure, disappointment, or a disconcerting event: "To her chagrin, the party ended just as she arrived."

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright � 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V., further reproduction and distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved, so there.

------------------
Dane

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something is wrong when it hurts other people unnecessarily.

This, I think, is as close as you come to a universal ethic. And even then, you have varying definitions of "hurt" and "unnecessarily" and in some cases "other people."

For instance: Surgery hurts. But it can be necessary to prevent death (Christian Scientist claptrap notwithstanding). Therefore it is not wrong.

Punishment and discipline can hurt, but it is also necessary, in moderation. Therefore it is not wrong. This differs from beating, which is abusive overkill, and thusly wrong.

Smoking or consuming other hazardous materials alone, under controlled conditions, is harmful to the user, but not to anyone else. Therefore it is not wrong, simply stupid.

However, exposing other people to the potential of harm, say, by creating gouts of secondhand smoke, or driving while intoxicated, IS wrong.

Under most circumstances, harming killing another human being is wrong. This wrong is balanced, or negated, when the human being in question is seeking to harm or kill other human beings. (Logic surrounding such things as abortion is fuzzy here, and depends upon finding a working definition for 'human being.' I haven't done this yet.)

By the above logic, voluntary euthanasia is not wrong, as it is essentially self-harm intended to prevent a greater suffering. Nonconsensual euthanasia, however, would be wrong (unless previously specified as the desire of the individual in question.)

Okay, that's how I see it.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited March 07, 2000).]

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it then wrong to manufacture cigarettes?
IP: Logged
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, it's for my Ethics class of course...

And I beg to differ, Sol... This IS fun, and CAN become inflammatory.

So far, none of you have gone in-depth with my questions, however.... i'm slightly disappointed. *L*

------------------
"You say don't fear your dreams, it's easier than it seems.
You say you'd never let me fall, from hopes so high.
But never is a promise, and you can't afford to lie." - Fiona Apple

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps