Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Yee haw!!! One of the local churches at my location is gonna have a book burnin'!!! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Yee haw!!! One of the local churches at my location is gonna have a book burnin'!!!
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, if you are going to argue against the bible/christianity/magical fairies, saying "ooh, why do you believe that crap? It's all rubbish. I don't believe it, because I am superior" does not actually count as an argument.

Now the challenge: can you convince Jeff of this? I was having an argument with him last night, and the best he could do was say "There is no God. Fact." Repeating yourself over and over is not making an argument. It's more like that 99% of protestors that Rob likes to bash. You know, the ones incapable of thought?

if my memory was working, I'd quote that line Kira once said about faith as a counter-argument. But I isn't, so I can't, so I won't.

Something along the lines of, "That's the thing about faith: if you don't have it, you can't explain it; if you do have it, no explaination is necessary."

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, the ones incapable of thought?

oh brother

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I believe I used the term 'mindless chanters.'

Which is, people whose only contribution that they are capable of making is to stand somewhere shouting slogans somebody else made up, but when you try to engage them in rational discourse about the issue (if you take up a contrary position), all they can do is chant louder.

And yeah, about 90%.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now the challenge: can you convince Jeff of this? I was having an argument with him last night, and the best he could do was say "There is no God. Fact."

Erm. Omega, buddy, as I told you repeatedly, I am open to the possibility that a supernatural force (be it God, Allah, Shiva or Steven Seagal) created the universe. However, I do not accept it as a certainty.

And for this, you call me "not open minded." Hah!

Speaking of which, here's a recent bit we had on ICQ:

quote:
Jeff: (11:57 PM) Well, as you said (in regards to my Jim-Bob statement), "you propose existance outside the universe." Explaining the creation of the universe still assumes existance outside the universe.

Omega: (11:58 PM) Always. But that existence must be timeless. I thought you were implying that we were simply a result of a different universe.

Jeff: (11:59 PM) Well, who knows? Of course, there's always the possiblity that the universe has always existed. But the point I'm trying to make, is that I'm peeved that you said I wasn't open-minded for not accepting the CERTAINTY of something, but rather, the POSSIBLITY of it.

Omega: (12:00 AM) You're not open-minded because you're set in your ways. There is no other possibility, therefore this one is the correct one, by process of elimination.

Jeff: (12:01 AM) I completely disagree with that.

Omega: (12:02 AM) The part that there's no other possibility?

Jeff: (12:02 AM) That, as you suggest that God is timeless, the universe is timeless.

Omega: (12:03 AM) Impossible. The amount of entropy in the universe is constantly increasing. There must have been a point where entropy was zero: the beginning.

Omega: (12:04 AM) You see, it's a little known fact that the laws of nature contradict each other. The law of increasing entropy demands a beginning to existence, and yet the law of mass-energy conservation doesn't allow for one.

Jeff: (12:04 AM) Maybe it just decided to expand ... or maybe it shrinks, then expands, then shrinks, then expands ...

Omega: (12:04 AM) That would require decreases in entropy, which is impossible. At least, without some entity capable of violating the laws of nature. :-)

Jeff: (12:05 AM) Okay, you got me. I'm God.

Jeff: (12:05 AM) Altho I prefer being called Steven.

Omega: (12:05 AM) Yes, we all know you think that.

Jeff: (12:06 AM) It's okay, I won't scoop Tennessee from the face of the earth. Just accept it. I'm Ste ... er, God.

Omega: (12:06 AM) *SMITE*

If you were God, could I have done that and gotten away with it?

Jeff: (12:07 AM) Could you have typed *smite*? Sure. You can also type "you stupid sack of shit." But I've gotten better at ignoring people then about 3,000 years ago or whenever when I flooded the world.

Omega: (12:08 AM) I REALLY wish they hadn't canceled "God, the Devil and Bob"...

Jeff: (12:09 AM) So sorry. Didn't you say you had to go to bed?

Omega: (12:09 AM) I lied.

Jeff: (12:09 AM) New sig

Omega: (12:10 AM) You know, I have infinitely better quotes than that.

Jeff: (12:10 AM) Well, since this conversation is going to be repetitions of me saying, "I am open minded" and you saying "no you're not there's only one possiblity!" let's change the subject.

Jeff: (12:10 AM) Yes, I know ... I've got a great one I'm still using.

Omega: (12:10 AM) Mine's better. :-)

That gem of a quote highlighted by me ... for obvious reasons -- er, you know, the one in bold

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like science accidently blundered onto the Jeffmega Turnpike
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I thought it was because of people like Omega that they cancelled "God, The Devil and Bob." Either that or it only had one joke and it wasn't very good to start with. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps