Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Can Church Define Public Policy? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Can Church Define Public Policy?
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly!
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. Impulses can be controlled, so long as you have the desire to do so. It may take practice, but it can be done. I know. I've done it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course...is there a good reason to want to?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I disagree. Impulses can be controlled, so long as you have the desire to do so. It may take practice, but it can be done. I know. I've done it."

I imagine a lot of people control their impulses when they meet you, unless you get punched a whole lot.

Joke.

But that's not the point anyway. We all control our impulses, everyday. That's why, when I see shiny new Buffy DVD's that I can't afford, I don't steal them. It doesn't stop me from wanting them though. I'm still breaking one of the ten commandments though for even wantingthe thing. Are you honestly saying, Omega, that you do not want anything? And that you don't envy anyone?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can control their impulses. And as much as Omega may deny it, I'm fairly sure I've seen some ad-hominems of his popping up in posts here and there ... (not exactly a wonderful example of controlling one's impulses) ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with Omega's statement is that he doesn't appear to acknowledge that to have the said "impulse" is to want. So if you get an impulse, and then control the impulse, you have controlled your actions, not your desires. It seems pretty clear-cut to me, but maybe that's just because I have evil God-hate that comes "from the creature who had the deepest hatred for God and with the keenest knowledge of God’s existence." (from the site JeffK mentioned). What a load of crap!

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have broken the following commandments in some way:

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've broken them all many times over. Good thing I don't follow the "big-g" god.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've committed adultery Wes?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more worried about Shik committing murder.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must also wonder about the bit about graven images. And other gods, for that matter.

Good thing I don't follow the "big-g" god

And this would be a good thing... why, exactly?

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: Omega ]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you REALLY want to get into a metaphysical row, little Bubba? Personally, I'm really not in the mood to hear that I'm "wrong" for what I feel & believe & know to be correct for myself, & I'm dam sure you don't want to hear my thoughts on the perils of religion.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Member # 91

No, actually I wouldn't. Thanks for asking. I just wanted to know how it could possibly be a good thing that you don't follow God, in this context. I mean, you say it's a good thing that you don't, and make it seem like because you don't, you're better off, because the rules don't apply, and won't be applied, to you, or something. Buh?

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

:::thinks for a moment, bobbles head, & then nods vehemently::: Yeah, that's about it in a nutshell.

Those "commandments" are pretty specific & done to stop the shit going on back then that was so rampant & easy to get away with. My inherent beliefs, though, basically say, "Sure, go ahead & do it....but don't be surprised when it comes around & smacks you on the ass later on." The universe is funny that way in balacing itself out.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... I wonder how many I've broken...?

"I am Yahweh your god, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me."

Well, I don't believe the first bit. But since I hold all gods in the same regard, I don't put any before Yahweh, so I guess I'm alright here.

"You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I, Yahweh, your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments."

I've made images before and likenesses of things, so I've broken that bit. But I don't worship them, so I've only broken half this one.

Incidentally, the bit about punishing people for the misdeeds of their great-great-grandparents was the thing that first made me realize something was a bit awry, and put me on the road to atheo-agnosticism. :-)

"You shall not take the name of Yahweh your God in vain; for Yaheweh will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain."

Well, I've said things like "Oh my god!" and "Jesus Christ!" before. Interestingly, I've only stopped breaking this commandmaent since I stopped believing in it... *L*

But, I've never actually used the name "Yahweh" in vain, so I should be good.

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to Yahweh your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days Yahweh made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore Yahweh blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it."

I go to church on Sundays, but only 'cause I still live w/ my parents and they force me to. But I've feigned illness to get out of it before, so I'm out on this one, too. Not to mention that I've never observed the "no work" bit. I'd guess even Omega's screwed on this count, unless he's managed to be totally lazy once a week every week of his life...

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which Yahweh your God gives you."

Ha!

"You shall not kill."

Assuming we're talking about people here, I'm okay.

"You shall not commit adultery."

According to the current definition of "adultery", I'm good. But if it includes fornication, I'm screwed (pun only half-intended).

"You shall not steal."

I prefer not to, but I probably have in the past.

"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor."

If "bearing witness" only applies to court-like situations, I'm okay. But, if it applies to any situation in which you lie about someone, I've done that.

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbor's."

Of course I covet. As I've pointed out, everyone does. It can't be helped.

So, looks like I've broken from 4.5 to 6.5 of them. Fascinating...

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps