Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Can Church Define Public Policy? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Can Church Define Public Policy?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could make such a comment about coveting your neighbor's ass...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I am the LORD your God, you shall have no other gods before me.

A co-worker once told me "Star Trek is your God." Mind you, he was a fundamentalist Muslim. After Princess Diana died we started calling him Dodi.

2. You shall not take the Name of the LORD your God in vain.

Jesus motherfucking Christ, why not?

3. Keep holy the Sabbath day.

Not quite sure what they mean here. I assume it means sticking to the things that make the Sabbath holy, like doing no work, in which case, tough - I needed the overtime. What's the position (hem hem) on having sex on the Sabbath?

4. Honor your father and your mother.

Again, tricky. Do I honour them now? Yes. Although I could go visit more often. Did I honour them when I was a teenager who they'd sent away to boarding school? No.

5. You shall not kill.

Or even murder, apparently. Let's not go there again. Regardless, I haven't killed anyone. I've wanted to. I've even tried in one or two fights I've been in.

6. You shall not commit adultery.

I haven't, believe it or not. Quite proud of it.

7. You shall not steal.

Oops.

8. You shall not bear false witness.

Everyone lies. No-one is ever completely honest.

9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.

Even when she's in their garden sunbathing naked? That's just inhuman. So when some President (I think it was Carter) said he'd only ever committed adultery in his heart, he was breakiung the 9th Commandment, but not the 6th.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.

Oh well. Although I'd like to go on record that Frank's "he's not around, and I really need to borrow his lawnmower" gag is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite sure what they mean here. I assume it means sticking to the things that make the Sabbath holy, like doing no work, in which case, tough - I needed the overtime. What's the position (hem hem) on having sex on the Sabbath?

The original intent was to dedicate one entire day to God. In the Christian covenant, this doesn't apply because our entire LIVES are dedicated to God. And I don't think sex was allowed.

Everyone lies. No-one is ever completely honest.

How... Clintonequse. I seem to recall people saying that exact thing during impeachment. "It's OK that he commited perjury, and thus broke the law. EVERYONE lies." I still fail to follow the logic.

Even when she's in their garden sunbathing naked? That's just inhuman.

That which is against your base nature is inhuman? What an odd POV. Try actively WANTING to not lust. It works.

Although I'd like to go on record that Frank's "he's not around, and I really need to borrow his lawnmower" gag is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Hardly lusting after his goods, if you don't think he'd mind, and have every intention of giving it back.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also point out that these are Jewish laws. They don't apply to me. You want the sum of Christian beliefs, your best bet is probably the sermon on the mount, Matthew 5-7.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, where Jesus spells it out that "eye for an eye" is bad?

I could've sworn you've taken the opposite stance, oooh, in every death penalty thread.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Member # 91

And I keep saying that if you want me to force my religious beliefs on you by law, I'd be obligated to outlaw premarital sex, too. Still like the idea?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love has nothing to do with it. It's all about SEXUAL INTERCOURSE. Obviously, nothing could be created then, because matter cannot be created. Gee, wonder where we got this Earth from, eh?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do notice that Omega has still been quiet about one point, so I will ask him.

Omega, are you honestly saying that you have never coveted/wanted anything that doesn't belong to you? Ever?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I would also point out that these are Jewish laws. They don't apply to me.

Good. Then you agree that since I & many others here don't practice Christianity, ITS laws don't apply to US.

Or I COULD go into how Kaja & Renae are rubbing their hands & licking their lips at your eventual downfall & cosmic spanking....

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Member # 91

Love has nothing to do with it. It's all about SEXUAL INTERCOURSE. Obviously, nothing could be created then, because matter cannot be created. Gee, wonder where we got this Earth from, eh?

That's so rambling as to almost be a better .sig...

Omega, are you honestly saying that you have never coveted/wanted anything that doesn't belong to you? Ever?

I don't believe I said that. But as a general rule, I don't. I'm happy with what I have. There are things I might LIKE, occasionally, (say, the bass clarinet), but I hardly get angry or sad or what have you if I don't get them.

Good. Then you agree that since I & many others here don't practice Christianity, ITS laws don't apply to US.

OK, Christian "law" doesn't apply to you? Fine. The alternative would be the law of sin, and the payment for sin is death. You like that better? 'Course, there's always that grace thing, but then you're not interested in that, are you?

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on... I have an incoming transmission...

woooo....

Hugo the Divine Eternal Wombat wants me to tell you that only HIS laws apply, and that all other paths leads to doom and destruction and eternal baking in a giant pudding stuck between Joey Buttafuoco and Danny Bonnaducci, especially that path of Omega's particular brand of Christianity.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The original intent was to dedicate one entire day to God. In the Christian covenant, this doesn't apply because our entire LIVES are dedicated to God. And I don't think sex was allowed.

I'm still thinking about this one. Big Brother will get back to you.

quote:
How... Clintonequse. I seem to recall people saying that exact thing during impeachment. "It's OK that he commited perjury, and thus broke the law. EVERYONE lies." I still fail to follow the logic.

AGAIN with the Clinton. We could get bogged down here in definitions of honesty and bearing false witness, but what I'm trying to establish is, no-one is ever completely honest. We never reveal everything of ourselves. I could go further into this, but it'd be violating a confidence. You know what I mean.

quote:
That which is against your base nature is inhuman? What an odd POV. Try actively WANTING to not lust. It works.

That first sentence makes little sense to me. Are you saying it's my base nature not to lust? Hardly. And I think most people in the world are able to control their lusts. There are women out there I find attractive, but I love my partner so it remains little more than an intellectual thing, I'm not going to indulge or perpetuate that lust, but I'm not going to completely deny it either, any more than I'd expect my girlfriend to, say, not watch Stephen Baldwin movies without going "phwoar!" You're a teenage boy. You can't expect anyone to believe you've never had a lustful thought.

As for "inhuman," it's a figure of speech. Bear in mind I was making a joke. My neighbour's wife doesn't sunbathe naked. If only. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also point out that these are Jewish laws. They don't apply to me.

Really? I thought Christians held the Ten Commandments in highest regard, too. Afterall, all these Christians want them posted in our schools, courts, and government buildings. I also know many Christian friends of mine post these "Jewish" laws in their own homes.

Speaking of this I'll let you live your life, and you let me live mine (but you'll go to Hell anyway) discussion, why is it some Christians feel the need to put things like "In God We Trust" in our schools? I know it's on our money, but what does that do to help our public schools, especially if the students are not all Christian, Jewish, or Muslim?

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doncha know? "In God We Trust" staves off Communists!
Omega
Member # 91

If only. :-)

I thought Christians held the Ten Commandments in highest regard, too. Afterall, all these Christians want them posted in our schools, courts, and government buildings.

No, we (any "we") don't want them posted because of their religious significance. People want them posted because of their HISTORICAL significance. Tell me: if we post the code of Hammurabi, aren't we tacitly endorsing the worship of Messopotamian gods, by your logic? I've not heard ANYONE advocate posting the ten commandments because of their religious nature.

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps