Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » School trip to see Harry Potter has been canceled because it was a violation of C&S? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: School trip to see Harry Potter has been canceled because it was a violation of C&S?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interview I read somewhere seemed to agree with Tim's line of thinking. Besides, there's (at least in the "Philosopher's" Canadian version) a shot of the page that Hermione's reading off that very clearly says "Philosopher's Stone." Unless American sound editors can now dub over visual images, one would assume there are duplicate shots.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not neccessarily, The_Tom. CGI.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say they filmed it twice. I asked if they filmed it twice, and said that it seemed to me to be the most likely course of action.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that what we're disagreeing over? Seems to me it'd be easier to re-dub and CGI over any troublesome parts. That way, you don't have to do two cuts of the movie (just two sound versions).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

TSN --

-- according to this week's "Entertainment Weekly" (pg. 32), you were right ... ::grumble::

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing new about that. :-)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yes it is.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, Jeff, are you saying that it'd be cheaper to CGI out the word "Philopher's" and replace it with "Sorcerer's" that to get someone to print off a page twice? What made world of cheap CGI do you live in, anyway?

What's the book/film called in Canada anyway?

And was there really any need to replace "football" with "soccer"? The kids are all English. Don't Americans know that we call Soccer "Football"? It's not like British people watch Friends and get confused when people talk about a version of football where people pick the ball up with their hands.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, they changed it in the book.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I just think its odd that there are two different cuts of the film (not in terms of added or deleted scenes), where they actually filmed certain parts of it twice. Ridiculous ... and pointless, IMHO.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

So, should they have kept it the British way? Or the altered US-way?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Its set in Britain, isn't it? There's the answer.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. You may blame Scholastic Press for the travesty that is "Sorceror's Stone."

Liam: The correct titles (and covers) are in use in Canada.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I'd apologize on behalf of this country for screwing it all up, but, honestly, I prefer not to associate myself w/ them too much...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Too late Tim. Sorry.

Is there anywhere apart from the US that uses "Sorceror's Stone"?

Having just seen the film, I think they cleverly edited out almost all of the distinctly British words in the film to save them from having to overdub. "Philosopher's Stone" was also usually said while the character had their back to the camera.

Overall, quite fun. A few good lines were taken out. And I wasn't too keen on Dumbledore. He was okay, but in the book he's a little bit more Roald Dahl-eccentric old man. In the film, he was just "wise old man". Robbie Coltrane was excellent as Hagrid though.

Now to read the other 3 books.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps