Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it? (Page 15)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Threw it away then, pretty much the same thing I've done....

I guess another thread could be Black People in Leading Star Trek Rolls (i.e., the Captains Chair) - Where are they?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, so far we've had one white Canadian man (I'm not counting the pilot -- sorry, Jeff), one white Englishman, one brown American man, one white American woman, and one white American man. Seems like a pretty accurate reflection of society as a whole (unfortunately), but it's a start.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off-topic a bit:
Wait a sec, so Archer is Canadian?
Or are you referring to the backgrounds of the actors themselves, so thus the fact that William Shatner is Canadian?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actors.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot Sulu!
Sulu's black.

Scotty was a Captain as well: for your "drunk scottsman" quota. [Wink]

And what's up with Uhura?!? She had to sit at the back of the bridge! Bastards!

And Admiral Nachayev! What the hell is she anyway?
A total bitch, I think...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Meanwhile, we're talking about the series leads -- the Captains of the ships (and station).

--Jonah

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sulu is black?

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Seems like a pretty accurate reflection of society as a whole (unfortunately), but it's a start.

Er, why unfortunately? Are you saying that all white people should stop breading for a century or so to allow black people to catch up?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sulu was black in one of those old comics (Gold Key?), and Uhura was a white blonde. And M'Ress looked like an Orion slave girl.

Probably had something to do with copyright or something, and the comic only possessing the rights to the likenesses of Kirk, Spock and McCoy...

When you lament "poor continuity" in modern Trek, remember to think of the alternatives... [Smile]

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a DC comic where Spok has two left hands in one panel.
Baaaad art fuck-up there. [Wink]

Nothing new to comics though: I have a X-Force comic where Wolverine's claws are far longer than his forearms. [Eek!]

Really, the idea of new captains being of a certain ethnic mix to be P.C. is silly:
The real minorities among captains are the aliens.
A Bolian Captain would be pretty easy to make-up each week....mabye Captain Rixx could star. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, not starting as a commander, but coming on as the Captain....

Hell, if they follow O'Brian long enough he'll have a ship before too long....

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

O'Brien's not an officer so he'll never get a ship.
....unless mabye it's a SCE ship.
Mabye.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with an alien captain is that the captain is the lead character, and the audience is expected to relate to that character. Aliens are rarely written that well in televised Trek. We always seem to come back to the fact that we don't trust the writers to handle a good premise. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
We always seem to come back to the fact that we don't trust the writers to handle a good premise. [Smile]

Well, we just don't really trust the majority of writers with any part of Trek....

Black people are aliens????

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
Black people are aliens????

Only if they cross into another country. If they do so without papers they'd be "illegal aliens". [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Liam, when I said it was a pretty accurate reflection of society, I was referring to the rough distribution of people in authority positions -- largely white males.

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps